Sponsored by:

Grind / lock out of 2nd on downshift

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 08:27 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts
Default Grind / lock out of 2nd on downshift

Worrying issue with my new baby. Today as I was driving at a moderate pace I went to downshift from 3rd to second, heard a horrible grinding noise and didn't manage to put the gear in. As it was grinding it felt like the shifter was 'bouncing' against something and clearly I didn't want to force it. Tried again, same thing.

Tried again at very low RPM, with a gentle, two-phase shifting motion, no issue.
Also no problems upshifting 1st to 2nd. Transmission fluid was changed as part of the post-PPI service, the shop didn't report seeing any pieces of metal floating, but then I can't say for sure they even looked.

Thoughts?
Old 11-07-2015, 08:31 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Time for a mechanic to look at it...
Old 11-07-2015, 08:59 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

No doubt, but nonetheless I'm hoping to hear some thoughts from the experts, particularly since the car has gone through a PPI and tranny fluid change less than 100 miles ago.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:06 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

PPI's are not guarentees of either the current or future health of the car.

Hope it's nothing serious.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:41 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like your clutch may not be fully engaging.
I can refer you to a couple of shops if you like.
C
Old 11-07-2015, 10:01 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Is the clutch master cylinder reservoir overflowing? A telltale sign is fluid residue under the reservoir and on the plastic shroud! I had an issue where the reservoir was leaking due to the slave cylinder check valve. In actuality the slave was going and effected the release of the clutch. Did strange things to the clutch release and engagement height!
Old 11-07-2015, 10:23 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
Is the clutch master cylinder reservoir overflowing? A telltale sign is fluid residue under the reservoir and on the plastic shroud! I had an issue where the reservoir was leaking due to the slave cylinder check valve. In actuality the slave was going and effected the release of the clutch. Did strange things to the clutch release and engagement height!
Forgive my ignorance, but where is the clutch master reservoir located...?
Old 11-08-2015, 12:33 AM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 163 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Forgive my ignorance, but where is the clutch master reservoir located...?
Just to complete Kevin explanation and answer your question. The clutch reservoir is under the front hood (bonnet) just in front of the driver side, under a black plastic cover, held with two screws....
Attached Images  
Old 11-08-2015, 07:41 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Many thanks, I'll take a look
Old 11-08-2015, 12:02 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

stock shifter and cables? sounds like you just missed the gear if you were able to slow down the motion and it went in without issue. factory shifter is crap and cables may need a bit of adjusting
Old 11-08-2015, 12:53 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Worrying issue with my new baby. Today as I was driving at a moderate pace I went to downshift from 3rd to second, heard a horrible grinding noise and didn't manage to put the gear in. As it was grinding it felt like the shifter was 'bouncing' against something and clearly I didn't want to force it. Tried again, same thing.

Tried again at very low RPM, with a gentle, two-phase shifting motion, no issue.
Also no problems upshifting 1st to 2nd. Transmission fluid was changed as part of the post-PPI service, the shop didn't report seeing any pieces of metal floating, but then I can't say for sure they even looked.

Thoughts?
Sure it wasn't driver error? Unfamiliar car and all that?

At what engine RPMs were you trying to downshift from 3rd to 2nd? IIRC the owners manual advises against downshifting above 2K RPMs. (While I don't strictly adhere to this I seldom downshift from very high RPMs and when I do of course I rev match.)

Are you sure the shop knows these cars and used the right fluid and filled the transmission correctly?

A "test" of sorts... With the engine/drivetrain up to temperature and the car on level ground with the engine at idle you should be able to push the clutch pedal down and then select any gear without any difficultly. If you have any problems, notice any difference in say shifting from 3rd to 2nd compared to shifting from 2nd to 1st or from 4th to 3rd there can be a mechanical problem. There could be a linkage or linkage adjustment problem, but to eliminate this you would need the services of an experienced Porsche tech.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:51 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macster
Sure it wasn't driver error? Unfamiliar car and all that?

At what engine RPMs were you trying to downshift from 3rd to 2nd? IIRC the owners manual advises against downshifting above 2K RPMs. (While I don't strictly adhere to this I seldom downshift from very high RPMs and when I do of course I rev match.)
I am a very mediocre driver without question, but not sure that's the issue here. Can't remember the RPMs, but it wasn't like downshifting for turn 10a at Road A...

Are you sure the shop knows these cars and used the right fluid and filled the transmission correctly?
The shop has a couple of recommendations here on rennlist. Although they managed not to replicate the power steering reservoir whine, which took me the whole of 5 mins when I picked up the car

A "test" of sorts... With the engine/drivetrain up to temperature and the car on level ground with the engine at idle you should be able to push the clutch pedal down and then select any gear without any difficultly. If you have any problems, notice any difference in say shifting from 3rd to 2nd compared to shifting from 2nd to 1st or from 4th to 3rd there can be a mechanical problem. There could be a linkage or linkage adjustment problem, but to eliminate this you would need the services of an experienced Porsche tech.
Everhything shifts smoothly in the test above, except maybe a slight notchiness from 1st to 2nd. The shifter has quite a bit of play, I don't like the feel of it at all.
Amyhow, I'll bring the car in soon, so hopefully we'll find out.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:36 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

I am a very mediocre driver without question, but not sure that's the issue here. Can't remember the RPMs, but it wasn't like downshifting for turn 10a at Road A...

The shop has a couple of recommendations here on rennlist. Although they managed not to replicate the power steering reservoir whine, which took me the whole of 5 mins when I picked up the car

Everhything shifts smoothly in the test above, except maybe a slight notchiness from 1st to 2nd. The shifter has quite a bit of play, I don't like the feel of it at all.
Amyhow, I'll bring the car in soon, so hopefully we'll find out.
Quite a bit of play is relative. You need someone who has experience with these cars to advise you if the play is normal or exceptional.

My 2003 Turbo didn't shift all that well then the shifter broke at around 30K miles. The tech installed a 997 shifter which felt much tighter and shifting improved. 100K miles later and the shifter still feels tight.

However, I am not recommending you throw a new shifter at the symptom. Let the shop advise you.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:09 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

all of this reads like the a graphic explanation of why a change of ALL fluids when buying these at their age becomes so important. this could be old trans fluid. hopefully it isn't a synchro issue as that would hurt $. if you don't know when the trans oil was last changed? I would change it asap
Old 11-09-2015, 01:20 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
all of this reads like the a graphic explanation of why a change of ALL fluids when buying these at their age becomes so important. this could be old trans fluid. hopefully it isn't a synchro issue as that would hurt $. if you don't know when the trans oil was last changed? I would change it asap
It was changed after the PPI, 100 miles ago

Quick Reply: Grind / lock out of 2nd on downshift