Sponsored by:

no more turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 03:37 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question no more turbo

in the classifieds on this site someone trying to sell a 996 turbo said there will be no more more TTurbo 911s produced!? i havent heard this anywhere else! not in panorama or excellence or porsche.com or pca.org...to name a few place i like to read and visit....has anybody else ever heard this? this seems like a seller trying too hard to sell his car.
Old 09-11-2003, 05:28 PM
Alfie
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

There is a very limited supply of 2004 models coming to the US, but beyond that, who knows..
Old 09-11-2003, 05:54 PM
HMS
Racer

Dealer here in so cal told me the same thing.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:04 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I wondered why the used prices have started to turn around. Is this true?
Old 09-11-2003, 08:28 PM
Alfie
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

My mostly official subject to change at any time information says about 150 Coupes for the US in MY04. It may take a while for this to positively affect resale and trade in values, new vehicle sale prices are already being affected by the lack of availability for ordered cars.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:49 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

I chose the GT3 over a regular 996 TT. Car is setup much nicer from the factory and ready for the track. Not to mention it feels much quicker to me and from the preliminary #'s out there, it is quicker!

Are they limiting the # of coupes due to the release of the cabrio??
Old 09-12-2003, 01:55 AM
drafting
Instructor

Varying bits of info have been floating on several boards for a couple of months. The consensus seems to be (this is backed up by two dealers that I know) that anywhere from 88 to 150ish '04 TT Coupes will be imported into the US. Whether or not there is an '05 TT depends on what next year's 911 base model actually ends up being (eg. 997, or whatever).

The why and wherefor of this production shift may very well be that GT3s, Cayennes and TT Cabs are slated to consume plant and skilled technical labor, and just maybe the backlog of '03 TTs on dealer lots this summer put a scare into the network and PAG. However, I spoke w/ my dealer two days ago and they have completely cleared their showroom and lot of TTs and GT2s in the past 6 weeks, and have tightened up on their discounting as the supply has been weined back. Boxsters remain an oversupply problem, w/ about 2 months worth still sitting around the country. Oak's observation that used TT prices have turned seems to support the theory of the supply of new TTs tightening. FWIW

Jeff
Old 09-12-2003, 02:13 AM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 83 Posts

the real question is – how many TT cab Porsche is gonna produce.

my dealer told me there is gonna be planty of cabs when they become available.
Old 09-12-2003, 03:03 AM
racer63
Racer

I find it really odd that Porsche won't let the world know whether or not the 997 is really coming next year, or ever for that matter. I can see why the status of the turbo might be up in the air as it has not been uncommon for the company to cease turbo production for a few years at a time. And that decision has historically been one of economics and opportunity cost. That I get... But the secrecy regarding the 05 model designation seems ill advised.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:30 PM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

I saw a report in one of the car mags recently that showed sales stats for all Porsche cars. I don't have the mag in front of me, but it reported that there are more 996TTs sold per year than plain C2 coupes. That struck me as odd...

It also reported that they have already sold more Cayenne units than all other models combined this year! My dealer told me that it only costs Porsche $25K to build the $60K+ Cayenne S. Even with markeing budgets, dealer markup, etc... that still makes for a hefty profit. Talk about a cash cow....

Old 09-12-2003, 02:17 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

TT coupes have outsold base 996 C2 coupes for the past few years in the US. Makes sense, as the base coupe may be a farther stretch for some in down economy , whereas the market for ( > 100K $) TTs/GT2s/Ferraris is a bit less " paycheck " dependant. The C2 Cab is the overall biggest US seller and has been for a while.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:31 PM
Twinturbosalah
Track Day

For discussion's sake(with all due respect), I have a hard time believing that statistic!

I live in the Bay Area/SF, where there is a fair amount of affluence and casually spend some time in Monterey/Pebble Beach area, but always see (relative) many carrera cars vs the very rare and occasional turbo. Other places I've travelled, I normally see C2s more than any other 911. Maybe I am overly sheltered, lol!

Maybe it is only the base carrera which is being discussed vs the turbo, not including all non turbo c2 carreras and those C2s with any options??

Old 09-12-2003, 07:58 PM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

salah,

I live in the OC area, and I take frequent drives to Newport Beach and Beverly Hills/West LA.

In these areas, the 3 Porsches I see the most are (in this order): Boxster, 911 CAB, and TURBO - I see very few C2 coupes.

Also, most of the high-end aftermarket Porsche guys (By Design, Reus Audio, etc...) by far have a majority of Turbos and Cabs in their lots.

When I bought the car I felt like one of the most privileged people in the world. Then I went to a nice restaurant in Newport Beach to celebrate my purchase and they parked it in the back lot!!! I guess the front was reserved for Bentleys, Ferraris, and SL55s.

Old 09-12-2003, 11:26 PM
Jared W.
Instructor

I agree. I think if people can afford the base coupe, they can make the jump to a convirtible, which many do. The next logical jump from a convirtible is to the Turbo. Everyone likes to feel good about their car, and all three (boxster, cab and turbo) have their own appeal. The boxster is a lot of porsche for the money, having the top down on a cab is great fun (with 911 performance), and the turbo.....well the turbo is just phenomenal.
Old 09-13-2003, 01:33 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally posted by Twinturbosalah
For discussion's sake(with all due respect), I have a hard time believing that statistic!

I live in the Bay Area/SF, where there is a fair amount of affluence and casually spend some time in Monterey/Pebble Beach area, but always see (relative) many carrera cars vs the very rare and occasional turbo. Other places I've travelled, I normally see C2s more than any other 911. Maybe I am overly sheltered, lol!

Maybe it is only the base carrera which is being discussed vs the turbo, not including all non turbo c2 carreras and those C2s with any options??

This is typical for the past few years , month to date and year to date , showing the Turbo coupe always outsells base C2 coupe in the US market :
Porsche US sales figures breakdown

Quick Reply: no more turbo