2005 Turbo S Coupe/Cab values?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 09:44 AM
Kevin Fennell
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2005 Turbo S Coupe/Cab values?

Hello All,

I recently got my wife on board with buying a sports car. I am mostly leaning towards a 2005 Turbo S Cabriolet. There is one available locally with an OK history and mileage, but the price seems a little high. I see 2004 996TT with 50k sell for ~40-45k mostly if I am not mistaken, so my question here is what is the premium for a 2005 Turbo S, and what is the premium for a Cabriolet over a coupe?

I have tried looking in all the price guides but they all have the car valued at 45-48k when there are none for sale anywhere under $55k.

Last question, if I were to get a 05 Turbo S cab and change out the head unit and amp would this affect the value of the car when I go to sell it in 3 years? I am assuming that most people see the stereo as the worst part of the car (very ugly dated phone buttons etc). But I wanted to get some feedback. I am going to look at the car this weekend and have a PPI lined up if the car is as advertised. When I get the PPI done, should I have them do a compression and if needed leak down test for an additional $250? When they are in there I guess I will get them to change the spark plugs if the inspection looks good.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:03 AM
BillZ260
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my research, the '05 Turbo S, was not really comparable in price, even to the 04's due to the bump in power I'm guessing. I looked at the 05 as a transitional car to the 997, that's my guess on the price differential. I didn't look at any Cab data for comparisons.

Good luck with the purchase.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:35 AM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi I just purchased a 996 TTs cab and could not be happier!

This is a fine car in every way. You have many points/questions.

1. wife will love this car

2. there is no premium of a cab versus a coupe. Naturally one would expect a premium but in the collector world there is none. It's all in your intent/purpose. If you want a cab (as i did mostly for my daughters and wife AND for me as well IMO a cab can't be beaten) don't hesitate...but at brass tacks there is no premium. I would like there to be..ha...but nope not really.

3. your 2004 vs TTs is all personal opinion. I liked the 2005 S cab b/c totally IMO this was the 996 swan song and i liked it for future value. And I think there were only 960 produced stateside...I think.

4. The stereo is all fiber optics. I'm sure there are adapters and such; that sounds like a Crutchfield call but it's a bit more challenging than a "normal" head unit and it could mess with your instrument cluster if you make mistakes. Be diligent in your research here.

5. PPI and leak down test? No brainer, if they are willing to deal with the logistics and delays you really should it's money well spent. But if you know your way around a Porsche and it has impeccable records than I'd roll the dice. I didn't do one but I called the dealer and had a stack of receipts 1" thick. The dealer knew the car instantly, then I pounced/purchased.

These are truly satisfying vehicles you and your wife will love it.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:14 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 258 Posts

I bought a 05 tts coupe in December. There is a premium attached if for no other reason than production numbers. I would say 10-15k.

As far as coupe vs cab, I would also say check the production numbers for each as it has an impact on sales pricing. It's not the only factor but it is a factor.

As far as the stereo, I decided to stay stock and just burned my iTunes songs on CDs. Due to my limited time in the car, I chose this less invasive option
Old 06-17-2015, 05:39 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 317 Posts

If you swap head units just keep the OEM one to throw in when you sell.

My personal philosophy is to do what I want with the car, not what I think the next owner wants. Screw him - he shouldn't have waited so long to buy.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:41 PM
Tuxiemama
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paid $60k for 26.7k mileage car 13 months ago... good luck getting a 6MT cheaper
Old 06-17-2015, 06:18 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 258 Posts

Screw him - he shouldn't have waited so long to buy. [/QUOTE]

Now that's funny.

Quick Reply: 2005 Turbo S Coupe/Cab values?