Sponsored by:

GT2 slave cylinder conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 06:49 PM
Eazy996
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT2 slave cylinder conversion

just picked up an '02 996tt with 50K miles and everything checked out except a small leak in the clutch master cylinder (I read this is typical).

I'm thinking about doing the GT2 conversion but was quoted $2K for parts and labor which seems a bit steep, even for the South Florida market. Is that a fair price for the EVOMS kit installed? Thank you all in advance
Old 04-14-2015, 06:55 PM
Eazy996
Intermediate

Pic of the new ride. Excited to join the community!
Old 04-14-2015, 09:16 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 214 Posts

Nice looking car!

Depending on their labor rate, it's not a crazy number...could you find it done for less? probably a little...
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook

Old 04-14-2015, 10:08 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by Eazy996
just picked up an '02 996tt with 50K miles and everything checked out except a small leak in the clutch master cylinder (I read this is typical).

I'm thinking about doing the GT2 conversion but was quoted $2K for parts and labor which seems a bit steep, even for the South Florida market. Is that a fair price for the EVOMS kit installed? Thank you all in advance
That seems high. Another option you have is to find a reputable shop and have them do the conversion the proper way by drilling and tapping the gearbox as done by the factory on the GT2. It's about $500-600 in OEM GT2 parts and about 6-7hrs labor by a knowledgeable shop. $1500-1600 is the figure to do this the correct "factory" way in my neck of the woods. The bosses are already on the gearbox as it's the same casting as on the GT2 but they just need to be drilled out and tapped. Very simple. Good luck and welcome to the community...

Last edited by powdrhound; 04-14-2015 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:08 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

heres the deal. evoms uses all factory gt2 parts and they add a bracket and a braided hose. if you drill the trans and use factory parts the cost is about 600$ plus labor. this is about a 5 on 10 scale to do. gt2 conversion requires removing the coupler from the power steering pump and replacing the master cylinder in the cabin. this is harder than anything you do on the trans.

fwiw i would replace the m/c and enjoy the car for now. if you need to drop the trans for any reason thats the time to do the mod. at the same time do the 8mm ball bearing mod and drop the weights off the shift links.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:18 PM
BBiAutosport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 544 Likes on 314 Posts
Default BBi Autosport Porsche 996 & 997 Turbo Clutch Slave Cylinder Conversion Upgrade Kit

Rennlist Members,

We released our Porsche GT2 slave cylinder conversion earlier this year. It is a direct OEM replacement that does not require any additional parts. Please check out below and let us know if you have any questions! We are expecting to receive another production in soon.

BBi Autosport Porsche 996 & 997 Turbo Clutch Slave Cylinder Conversion Upgrade Kit

Always striving for innovation, BBi Autosport is proud to announce our new highly anticipated Clutch Slave Cylinder Conversion Kit for the Porsche 996 and 997 Turbo. After successfully tested on both the streets and tracks for over a year, the Clutch Slave Cylinder Conversion is finally available.

The factory power-assisted clutch system has always been the Achilles heel for the Porsche 997 Turbo. Utilizing the power steering system to help reduce the force needed to depress the clutch pedal, it is a flawed design that delivers a mushy pedal feel with poor feedback, and is highly prone to failure. Our system addresses both of those issues by eliminating the problematic factory power-assist system for improved reliability and pedal feedback. Unlike other kits, our system is designed be used with OEM clutch master cylinder, hose, and spring pack. This eliminates the need for additional parts, making our kit a complete plug and play solution.

The other kits on the market simply adapts factory 996 GT2 parts with aftermarket brackets and caps off the power steering pump with plugs. Our kit is our very own proprietary design and does not plug the power steering pump because the plugs can fail. Instead, the power steering fluid is routed through the unit to simulate the factory system. With the failure of the factory system inevitable, this is a must upgrade for the 996 and 997 Turbo to achieve the excellent pedal feedback and reliability similar to that of the Porsche 997 GT2 and GT3 without compromising drivability.

Features
  • Eliminates the problematic OEM power-assisted clutch slave cylinder for improved reliability
  • Significantly improves the clutch feel and engagement
  • Designed to be slightly softer than the factory 996 GT2 conversion kit for excellent drivability
  • Proprietary plug and play design
  • Retains clutch master cylinder, hose, and spring pack
  • Requires less installation time than other slave cylinder conversion kits
  • Does not adversely affect clutch life
  • Precision CNC machined and hard anodized aluminum construction
  • Hard anodized 7075 aluminum piston
  • Designed for Porsche 996 and 997 Turbo

About BBi Autosport

Based in Southern California, we are a Porsche tuner and parts manufacturer. BBi Autosport was founded in the summer of 2005 with the mission of bringing artistry and craft to the Porsche tuning industry. We are committed to producing proven performance upgrades that are manufactured to the highest quality standards. With our new bigger facility, new staff and new product catalog this year, we are a one-stop shop and excited to offer everything from race car builds to scheduled factory maintenance.

With over 30 years of combined motorsport history, BBi’s operation is truly unique. Racing traditions run deep here at BBi Autosport. As the company's founder and technical director, Betim Berisha has worked in Racing for many years at prestigious events like the 24 Hours of Lemans and 24 Hours of Daytona. First for Fordhal Motorsport working on their GT3RS and Saleen S7 in ALMS and Grand Am series, Alex Job Racing on their ALMS GT3RSR, J3 Racing working on their GT3RSR and then Porsche Motorsports North America as their dyno tech an supporting Porsche teams at ALMS, Grand Am, Speed World Challenge events. Sharing the same passions, most of BBi's support and shop staff have also previously worked for other motorsport programs. Being a one-stop shop, BBi Autosport is equipped to offer everything from hand-built hard goods to championship-winning GT3 Cup Cars.

For up to date information of current shop activities, projects, and product releases, please follow us on our Facebook and Instagram accounts:

https://www.instagram.com/bbiautosport
https://www.facebook.com/BBIAutosport

Bringing Passion, Artistry, Craft to the Porsche Tuning Industry
Southern California's Porsche Performance Tuning, Engine Development,
ECU Software Tuning, Custom Fabrication, Race Preparation & Factory Service Center
Website: www.bbiautosport.com Email: sales@bbiautosport.com Phone: (714) 843-0200
Follow Us On: Facebook & Instagram
Old 09-08-2015, 05:34 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

What does the BBi mod do to clutch pedal effort?
Old 09-08-2015, 06:09 PM
vogz
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyScott
Supposedly makes it a little stiffer than stock, but not as stiff as the GT2 setup.

I'll be putting the BBi in when my slave fails.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:00 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by vogz
Supposedly makes it a little stiffer than stock, but not as stiff as the GT2 setup.

I'll be putting the BBi in when my slave fails.
me as well. not buying a third(?) slave or fourth accumulator!
Old 09-09-2015, 09:23 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
me as well. not buying a third(?) slave or fourth accumulator!
no way you pay 1000$ when beer and 600$ worth of parts gets it done the right way
Old 09-09-2015, 09:58 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

ha yeah but i'll just get the part and put in on with the beer in the yard.
you're right though. I'm not trusting my buddy with a drill.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:19 PM
BBiAutosport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 544 Likes on 314 Posts
Default BBi Autosport Porsche 996 997 Turbo Slave Cylinder Conversion

Originally Posted by CincyScott
CincyScott,

Designed to be slightly softer than GT2 version, our lead technician - who have driven many of these cars of the years - reported that the pedal feel is very close. This conversion kit is installed on one of our flagship project cars (shown below) here at BBi Autosport and we received positive feedback from the client after taking delivery. They are currently on back-order and we will try to get our clients and dealers to post up reviews soon.

BBi Autosport "Project Swan" 997.1 Turbo (GT2 Conversion)

- Jerry@BBiAutosport.com
Old 09-09-2015, 10:31 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

Yep, I will definitely goes with these when mine needs to be replaced...again.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:55 PM
John Gag
Advanced

sounds and looks awesome!
Old 09-10-2015, 06:00 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 249 Posts

I have say this is a nice solution for minimal install effort. It is not shown on bbi website and I don't know what the cost is.

Quick Reply: GT2 slave cylinder conversion