Sponsored by:

Time for an upgrade, audio

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 11:00 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Time for an upgrade, audio

My car recently hit 100,000 miles and is running great. Its a 2003 996TT. I am planning to keep this thing until I my kids take my license away from me. This is my daily driver, so I thought it might be time to upgrade the Bose/ Most system to something Double DIN, up to date nav, and decent sound. I geek on audio at home, the car is too loud to really enjoy music. I need Public Radio and traffic, Bluetooth, and to be able to plug an Apple product into it in case I'm road tripping.

I invite your recommendations. I think I would like to budget $1500.

Last edited by horsepowerfarm; 04-02-2015 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:18 AM
Duc Hunter
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

I like the Kenwood DNX892.....it have built in Garmin nav which is great, and can also let you mirror your iPhone through the HDMI so you can use apps as if you were on your phone. I have an older version of this until in my 4runner, been bomb proof.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:36 AM
paoylin1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thinking about the same thing, i have a kenwood in my suburban, going on 11 years now, a little noise as dvd starts up but quiets down and plays smoothly. can't wait to hear and hopefully see what other people have done.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:01 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Duc Hunter
I like the Kenwood DNX892.....it have built in Garmin nav which is great, and can also let you mirror your iPhone through the HDMI so you can use apps as if you were on your phone. I have an older version of this until in my 4runner, been bomb proof.
Thanks Duc, I'll check it out.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:19 PM
Neotorque
Rennlist Member

I have the Alpine INE-Z928HD in my 2003 TT. As you might expect from an Alpine, it does the audio/video much better than Nav.

Pros:
  • Massive 8 inch display
  • Built-in Pandora integration
  • Easy iPod or USB hookup, including easy searching and full playlists
  • Ability to play DVDs or videos from your ipod/smartphone/thumb drive, etc.
  • Integrated HD Radio receiver
  • Nav maps are very clear, 3D, with illustrated road signs, live traffic, etc.

Cons:
  • Touchscreen interface is a little clunky
  • Navigation maps last updated 11/14
  • No CarPlay

I'm generally happy with it, but I'm seriously considering swapping it out for something with CarPlay, just because my entire life runs on iOS at this point. There are some great CarPlay options from Alpine and Pioneer starting around $600. That's definitely what I'd get if I were buying today.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:07 PM
Melb-Mike
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad I saw this thread as I was thinking the same thing as well. However, being new to the Porsche scene, I don't much of what is stock or what is available. The guy who had the car before me removed the stock radio system which I believe was the Bose type. Right now I have a Kenwood DDX7045 with an integrated Kenwood GPS system. In the front storage area or trunk is an Xtant X604 which I believe is an amplifier. It works, that's the best I can say. Oh, I did have the local auto stereo place add a backup camera that displays on the 6.5" screen when I put the car in Reverse.

Downside
1) hard to use this system unless you're a video game champion
2) screen is difficult to see regardless of the angle I choose due to sun/light reflection
3) sound quality is OK, not great, but the cab is so noisy anyway, what difference does it make
4) phone(blue tooth) not available on this. A separate "Parrot" bluetooth system handled my old I-phone4, won't work with I-phone 5.

I too would like to upgrade, get rid of the big amp box in the trunk, get a system that I don't need my grandson to show me how to operate it (intuitive for older people, like this 63 year old)

Previous experience with Alpine GPS systems were excellent, best I've ever used or seen. Not familiar with Kenwood. I am all ears on this one.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:27 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Melb-Mike
...get a system that I don't need my grandson to show me how to operate it...
My sound system is stock with no NAV; I seldom (hardly ever) turn it on. On the rare occasion I need help getting somewhere, I have my Android that provides turn by turn voice (and map display) guidance.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:07 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Agree with Dock in that I rarely turn mine on and get directions if needed before I leave. I can see someone wanting an updated system, I did all that stuff previously in other cars but ended up never using.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:08 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

I did a Pioneer nav unit and a JL amp and its been great. I love having the Bluetooth, pandora and spotify, but if I were to do it now I would look into one of the app units, they are cheap compared to a nav and cd and I never use the nav on the pioneer or the CD.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:49 PM
Melb-Mike
Instructor

I agree that Nav systems seem redundant with IPhones, IPads and androids we already have. However, if I'm traveling alone and looking for an unknown location, having voice turn-by-turn directions is a lot safer than looking at my device. I agree, the need isn't often. When I ordered my Z06, I ordered it WITHOUT the Nav but the GM system is the pits. I use a Garmin with blue tooth when we travel with the Z06.

I also want to free up some trunk space by getting rid of the Xtant box. Right now, the Kenwood uses a 2-Din space and another 1-Din below it for the Nav DVD drive. I just had back surgery so I can't drive yet but in another week or so I'm heading off to our local guy to see if I can get an integrated system...receiver for XMAS-Sirius, Nav, integrated blue tooth and backup camera output. He sell Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood and about another I can't even pronounce.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:24 PM
Duc Hunter
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

I agree that Nav systems seem redundant with IPhones, IPads and androids we already have. However, if I'm traveling alone and looking for an unknown location, having voice turn-by-turn directions is a lot safer than looking at my device. I agree, the need isn't often. When I ordered my Z06, I ordered it WITHOUT the Nav but the GM system is the pits. I use a Garmin with blue tooth when we travel with the Z06.

I also want to free up some trunk space by getting rid of the Xtant box. Right now, the Kenwood uses a 2-Din space and another 1-Din below it for the Nav DVD drive. I just had back surgery so I can't drive yet but in another week or so I'm heading off to our local guy to see if I can get an integrated system...receiver for XMAS-Sirius, Nav, integrated blue tooth and backup camera output. He sell Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood and about another I can't even pronounce.
This is true, and I ordered my Audi without NAV. The KEY though is being able to either have you iPhone in your line of site in a mount to read the directions and see the map, or be able to have its nav info displayed on your head unit for the same reason. In my Audi I built a custom mount, and it works WONDERFULLY. I am struggling to find a place to do a mount in the Turbo, hence my search for a head until (or iPad mini). Side note, windshield mounts do not work for me, they block too much vision, and they make using the windshield sunshade a PITA....and in Florida it is a necessity.

More and more I am liking the iPad Mini idea. You can get an app for local radio stations, like many my life musically revolves around my iPhone, the Nav is wonderful in them, and the integrations into a sound system (getting the sound into the speakers through your amps) is very easy.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:59 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 543 Posts

However, if I'm traveling alone and looking for an unknown location, having voice turn-by-turn directions is a lot safer than looking at my device.
My Android has turn-by-turn voice instructions.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:44 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I must not go far enough way from home or just old school as I print out before I leave and use that.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:19 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the input! I have decided to get the Pioneer 4100NEX. I had the chance to play with the Apple Car Play on a new Ferrari at work, damn it's cool.

Now, the next decision are speakers and an amp. The only requirement now is to stay around $1000 and keep all the factory speaker grills and the Bose sub box which can be gutted if necessary. Any recommendations?
Old 04-05-2015, 02:40 AM
Neotorque
Rennlist Member

Think you made a great choice. Will look forward to hearing how CarPlay works for you. I've got an appointment with my stereo shop in two weeks to check out the new models.

I'll check my amp. It's a Kenwood, don't remember the product number, ran more than I should have spent on something like that, especially when the best sound on your car should be coming from the rear end.

Quick Reply: Time for an upgrade, audio