Sponsored by:

X50 Option Value

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 11:57 PM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dubyaTT
I have never reallly understood the disdain for X50 cars on popular Porsche forums.
If you drive stock cars back to back the K24s feel like the better choice.
If you drive flashed cars back to back that opinion is only reinforced.
If you do any supporting mods then it only makes even more sense.
The lag argument may be valid, but most could argue you are simply in the wrong gear.
Is it still worth $17k? No.
Is it the better choice? Yes.
Most K16 owners use it for the basis of their upgrades.
Enough said?
Thanks for the advice, but back to my initial question - how much is it worth to you?
Old 12-01-2014, 12:09 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 564 Likes on 348 Posts

Surprisingly quick and very happy where it is power/driveability/consistency wise.
GT2 and X50 are virtually identical engine-wise, only difference is the ecu-tuning difference (which doesn't matter when the car gets 'tuned' anyway...)
Mine has a poorly-matched Spec clutch setup currently(planning on replacing for driveability reasons, at some point when the budget allows), but think the stock setup would probably hold pressure/friction-wise at this level, albeit with a small safety margin, a good driver makes a clutch go a LONG way...

X50 would be worth a couple grand to me(I'm searching for a 996TT for my dad right now...)

Cheers,
Rob

Originally Posted by MTR
Rob,

127mph is very stout for any car with simple bolt-ons, and 124mph is more than enough for a safe road course tune. So I assume the X50 and GT2 respond similarly to mods since they both use the same turbos/intercoolers/displacement. Engine-wise are they the same or does the GT2 have extra improvements such as exotic materials for rods/pistons, etc?

Also, I've read that once reflashed the X50 typically goes through the stock clutch quickly whereas a reflashed K16 car can get by on the OEM disk/pp. Any experience with that?
Old 12-01-2014, 12:25 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Honestly, I would not pay much extra for an x50. If I was serious about power for track use, I would replace the turbos. I'm a street guy and the stock K16's with a stage1 tune far exceed the stock x50, and provide a lot more power than I can possibly use safely on the street.

Maybe $1000 - $1500 if the car was exactly what I wanted. I would be more interested in finding the right car in the right condition. Whether or not it had the x50 would not be a deciding factor for me.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:28 AM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Awesome, thanks for all of the insight and if you find any that don't meet your dad's criteria please send them my way.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:48 AM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SSST
Honestly, I would not pay much extra for an x50. If I was serious about power for track use, I would replace the turbos. I'm a street guy and the stock K16's with a stage1 tune far exceed the stock x50, and provide a lot more power than I can possibly use safely on the street.

Maybe $1000 - $1500 if the car was exactly what I wanted. I would be more interested in finding the right car in the right condition. Whether or not it had the x50 would not be a deciding factor for me.
That's an interesting look at it and I most likely fall into this same category of the K16 car being good enough. I won't lose sleep over a second slower lap time or a few MPH lower in the 1/4. I'm not going to be breaking any records, just want to get out there and enjoy the car.

My problem is when I look to buy a performance car it seems like I always want the options/version of the car that is the "best/fastest." Probably human nature combined with those smart Germans in the Porsche marketing department taking advantage of our weakness.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:58 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

again, they're worth an extra 2k on the street, but if its as insurance co they will add 5k to the loss payout over a similarly optioned k16 tt. i dont really believe that a tuned 16 car will be the better car to have over even a stock k24 car. flash that ecu w k24's and the discussion ends as to which brings more smile per mile. but most every bolt on adds something to the mix.

the lag should in my estimation be the only downside to the x50 car. but that 30 hp over the stock car is instantly felt/noticed and more than enough for many, in fact until they learn the car and their own personal limits, the k 24 car will shine while a stock 16 car will be outgrown a bit more quickly.

the need for speed or some such.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:19 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 76 Posts

I really like the idea of the factory installed larger turbo's and intercooler. Basically a flash and exhaust and you have fantastic power with good reliability. Keeping it simple. It also adds some factory "exclusivity" which may mean nothing to some but I personally like it. My new to me 996 turbo is a x50 car. It has a little more lag than my brother previous k16 turbo but it is not bad at all. His car had a flash, headers, air box, exhaust. The x50 option was high on my list when searching for cars. I think for me, it would be worth 3-4k more for the power kit. I would be curious how may cars had the X50 option.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:47 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would prefer one as it adds exclusivity and I keep mine stock, value wise I would pay 2-3k. If you plan on changing your turbos etc save your money.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:01 PM
Fastboy
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree with rmc1148. I have owned 2 911 TT's--both x50's for the "exclusivity" value, plus I am a pig for more power if I can get it without paying much. I have flashed the car via Kevin's UMW deal, and I also got his wastegate kit. That's it.
I haven't driven a non-x50, but I can say that the car is in line with many of the very best modern cars at the track for outright acceleration. I don't do 1/4 mile stuff, and have the stock clutch without any problems so far. On a local track that has 2 quarter mile stretches-- in those stretches I can stay with, and sometimes it seems I am faster than last-years Vette z06's (I doubt I'll be staying up with the new Z06's!) - I can stay with any Viper I have run with, and lose them in the corners. I can stay with a non-modified 997 turbo, and ran with a new modified track-spec Camaro on race gas (I was using normal 94 octane) and kept up. So I feel that my X50 was a good investment, given its performance against modern hyper-cars.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:59 PM
Tuxiemama
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rmc1148
If you leave it stock maybe just a tune yes but if you plan on mods like turbo upgrade no.
Bollocks

If you prefer the K16s yes, K24s are better for high power options with bolt ons.. but $2-$3k sounds fair
Old 12-09-2014, 06:01 PM
Tuxiemama
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MTR
Did you have the stock K24s on your X50 before the hybrids? How did they spool comparatively?
I have stock K24s with a FBO Mafless E85 set up.. they spool up fine on E85

60-130 times sub 6.8 secs
Old 12-09-2014, 06:07 PM
Tuxiemama
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MTR
Rob,

127mph is very stout for any car with simple bolt-ons, and 124mph is more than enough for a safe road course tune. So I assume the X50 and GT2 respond similarly to mods since they both use the same turbos/intercoolers/displacement. Engine-wise are they the same or does the GT2 have extra improvements such as exotic materials for rods/pistons, etc?

Also, I've read that once reflashed the X50 typically goes through the stock clutch quickly whereas a reflashed K16 car can get by on the OEM disk/pp. Any experience with that?
The X50 option on my car would have made it a > $150k buy from the shop but I got a Turbo S where they basically dumped in all of the good X50 options as they phased out the 996 TT. The msrsp on my car was $138k and then the dude who paid up added $30k of mods, drove it a lot for 3 years and then did 4k miles in the 5 yrs before I bought it.

Great cars, tough as hell, a bit bumpy and rattly but they really fly

I can do 132 mph trap in the quarter on E85, was a high 120s car before mafless and E85
Old 12-09-2014, 06:13 PM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Received 136 Likes on 100 Posts

I test drove a nonx50 and then an x50 when looking for a car. I didn't realize the lag would be more on the x50 at the time when I drove it, but I could tell it lagged more. I also could tell the vroom was a bigger kick in 3rd gear.

I always get the most powerful version of any car when I purchase a car. I never plan on modding. 2k would be worth it to me over a nonx50
Old 12-09-2014, 06:16 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What's your point Tuxlemama if your going to change turbos etc the point and added cost of the x50 package is lost. Its only worth the extra cost if your planning on keeping it basically stock. And bollocks back at ya!
Old 12-09-2014, 06:21 PM
Tuxiemama
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rmc1148
What's your point Tuxlemama if your going to change turbos etc the point and added cost of the x50 package is lost. Its only worth the extra cost if your planning on keeping it basically stock. And bollocks back at ya!
If you go K24/18, K24/20 or K24/68mmHTA you do not need the vig of the alpha series etc... if you get an X50 with PCCB you are getting MUCH better brakes etc... for a stock car X50 is more desirable from the mere fact THEY MADE less of them

but I hear ya if you are going Alpha28s, Gt35s etc

Quick Reply: X50 Option Value