Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apology and Should I Buy This 2001 996 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 09:41 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

My wife spends money on the house or additions to her shoe/handbag collection whenever I make changes to the family vehicle fleet. It's cheaper than a mistress.

The deal is that I have more say in the cars we drive and she has the last say in houses we choose to live.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:40 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Dealers go by book time . My Indy goes by actual time, and warranty's the parts and labor. So an indy will probably cost you less as long as he bills you actual time. Coil pacs are suggested to do at the same time. Think those alone for a set of six will cost about $325 add the plugs then labor.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:37 AM
5ive0
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SLC Tortfeasor
Thanks, this is one of the greatest posts I have ever read. Seriously. Hilarious and true. I just talked to my 79 year old dad and asked his opinion. He's undoubtedly the reason why I'm in love with fast cars. He's not in the greatest health. When I was a boy, he never instilled in me a love of spectator sports as so many dads seem to do. Instead, he shared his love of Porsches with me. He bought a couple of used 914s, and later in life he bought a fairly junky 911 Targa. I still remember reading his "Excellence" magazines when I was a kid and dreaming of one day having one of those beautiful cars. Nowadays I make a bit more money than my dad ever did, so I can afford a bit more car than he could way back when. Still, I'm not the kind of person who could casually throw around $40K without agonizing about it. But today when I told my dad I was thinking about spending $40K on a depreciating toy, he enthusiastically told me to do it, and he says he wishes he had bought one when he was my age. I'm so thankful he's still around for me to ask his opinions on things. And I'm really looking forward to taking him for a drive in my new 996 Turbo when he visits in a couple weeks!
That's a great story. You couldn't ask for a more compelling validation... It's a no brainer. Looking forward to seeing what you end up with!
Old 10-16-2014, 08:56 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

anyone buys these cars and plans on driving them daily whether they are a dd or not ( you'll still dd it lol.. better have a war chest since the spend doesn't stop at purchase.

one phenomenon i have noticed as the median price of these has entered free fall is that more folks can "afford" to get in them, but then later find out the true cost to own and dally drive them.

i'm sure i've spent +/- 8k-10k on upkeep/mods this year and thats with most all work done ( with help ) here at the house. excepting the trans refresh of course. this was an unusually high and costly year, but the point shouldn't be lost. these are not cheap to maintain.

just something to consider.....
Old 10-16-2014, 10:50 AM
ANJ-911
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
anyone buys these cars and plans on driving them daily whether they are a dd or not ( you'll still dd it lol.. better have a war chest since the spend doesn't stop at purchase.

one phenomenon i have noticed as the median price of these has entered free fall is that more folks can "afford" to get in them, but then later find out the true cost to own and dally drive them.

i'm sure i've spent +/- 8k-10k on upkeep/mods this year and thats with most all work done ( with help ) here at the house. excepting the trans refresh of course. this was an unusually high and costly year, but the point shouldn't be lost. these are not cheap to maintain.

just something to consider.....
How many miles to you put on your car yearly? Seems like you spend more than most do on yearly maintenance from what I've heard/read about and more than the PO of my car did.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:04 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by ANJ-911
How many miles to you put on your car yearly? Seems like you spend more than most do on yearly maintenance from what I've heard/read about and more than the PO of my car did.
let's just say more than most would for a pleasure vehicle and possibly a bit more than my ins co believes lol
Old 10-16-2014, 12:26 PM
ANJ-911
Instructor

Thanks, this is one of the greatest posts I have ever read. Seriously. Hilarious and true.

I just talked to my 79 year old dad and asked his opinion. He's undoubtedly the reason why I'm in love with fast cars. He's not in the greatest health. When I was a boy, he never instilled in me a love of spectator sports as so many dads seem to do. Instead, he shared his love of Porsches with me. He bought a couple of used 914s, and later in life he bought a fairly junky 911 Targa. I still remember reading his "Excellence" magazines when I was a kid and dreaming of one day having one of those beautiful cars.

Nowadays I make a bit more money than my dad ever did, so I can afford a bit more car than he could way back when. Still, I'm not the kind of person who could casually throw around $40K without agonizing about it. But today when I told my dad I was thinking about spending $40K on a depreciating toy, he enthusiastically told me to do it, and he says he wishes he had bought one when he was my age.

I'm so thankful he's still around for me to ask his opinions on things. And I'm really looking forward to taking him for a drive in my new 996 Turbo when he visits in a couple weeks!
Glad you're deciding to go for it! Seems like your dad is right on point, and as long as it won't negatively affect your lifestyle/future plans I wouldn't sweat it. Your wife will come around and if you really need the money you can sell it. You only live once and you never know what's going to happen so you have to enjoy it while you can!

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
let's just say more than most would for a pleasure vehicle and possibly a bit more than my ins co believes lol
Haha, yea I hear you. I had a 2001 Audi S4 that was heavily modded that cost me about 3-5k a year in maintenance/mods but i was putting 20-25k miles on it yearly. Only plan on putting 5k on the 996 yearly with 1-2 track days (these may add some cost), and will do what maintenance I can on my own, so I expect the cost to be 1-2k per year on average including oil changes and tires. I don't drive the car like a grandma but I'm not slamming gears, launching etc. which helps.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:36 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by ANJ-911
I expect the cost to be 1-2k per year on average including oil changes and tires. I don't drive the car like a grandma but I'm not slamming gears, launching etc. which helps.
good luck with that estimate bro. i pay 2500 a yr in tires alone no tracking.
i drive my car as it was intended, and it gets driven hard daily, never beaten and i am always WAY ahead of the game when it comes to maintenance items or repairs. i threw away the porsche "book" a long time ago. wait! it didn't have a book when i bought it! just track rash and clean oil lol.

take care of it, and it'll respond in kind
Old 10-17-2014, 07:58 AM
dhc3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just talked to my 79 year old dad and asked his opinion. He's undoubtedly the reason why I'm in love with fast cars. He's not in the greatest health. When I was a boy, he never instilled in me a love of spectator sports as so many dads seem to do. Instead, he shared his love of Porsches with me. He bought a couple of used 914s, and later in life he bought a fairly junky 911 Targa. I still remember reading his "Excellence" magazines when I was a kid and dreaming of one day having one of those beautiful cars.

Nowadays I make a bit more money than my dad ever did, so I can afford a bit more car than he could way back when. Still, I'm not the kind of person who could casually throw around $40K without agonizing about it. But today when I told my dad I was thinking about spending $40K on a depreciating toy, he enthusiastically told me to do it, and he says he wishes he had bought one when he was my age.

I'm so thankful he's still around for me to ask his opinions on things. And I'm really looking forward to taking him for a drive in my new 996 Turbo when he visits in a couple weeks!
Forget all other $ calculations. Whether you buy this 996 Turbo or a different one, it will be worthwhile when you can look back and have memories of taking dad for a ride in your Turbo. That's what $ is for, and when you are 79 your kids will do the same for you.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:03 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

I agree. Think of when you are 79. You can look back and say "that was a very sensible Kia I bought" or you can smile and remember the TT experiences.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:59 AM
SLC Tortfeasor
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought it! Picked it up last night. I'll post pics when I'm able.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:35 AM
ANJ-911
Instructor

I bought it! Picked it up last night. I'll post pics when I'm able.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:42 AM
SLC Tortfeasor
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

My oldest son is almost as excited about the new acquisition as me!
Old 10-22-2014, 11:59 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats on your turbo. Obviously, your son has what you and your father have. Nice.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:24 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice looking car hope you enjoy it.

Quick Reply: Apology and Should I Buy This 2001 996 Turbo