Sponsored by:

How do you downshift smoothly?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 04:13 PM
offroadr35
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you downshift smoothly?

I have always performed the heel-toe downshift with the ball of my foot on the brake and the heel on the throttle. Obviously this won't work in the Porsche because the pedal is hinged at the floor. So, i was learning to do it oppositly but then heard that because of the fly-by-wire system the throttle is locked when the brake is depressed.

So how do you get a good, smooth, quick downshift during hard driving?
Old 08-16-2003, 04:47 PM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

I just rev-match....
Old 08-16-2003, 05:18 PM
offroadr35
Instructor

Originally posted by msindi
I just rev-match....
what are you talking about? the way to rev-match a downshift during hard braking is to heel-toe. but like i just explained, this is impossible in the porsche because the brake and throttle cannot be applied simultaneously. what am i missing?
Old 08-16-2003, 05:27 PM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

Heel and toeing on the 996 is really hard - I've been trying to learn but no use...
What I do is as I am downshifitng I blip the throttle while I am in between gears (I gues n neutral)....It happens quick but this way once the revs are matched I can get off the clutch and hit the brakes if I need to slow down...I am not the best driver around so....
Old 08-16-2003, 05:28 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

No problem here with heel toe downshifting? IMO the Porsche spacing and pedal height to be relatively easy to H&T. Maybe you feet are too small for the spacing?
Old 08-16-2003, 05:42 PM
offroadr35
Instructor

Originally posted by Oak
No problem here with heel toe downshifting? IMO the Porsche spacing and pedal height to be relatively easy to H&T. Maybe you feet are too small for the spacing?
it's not a matter of spacing. as far as i know heel-toe shifting is absolutely impossible in the Porsche due to a control that does not allow throttle imputs while the brake pedal is depressed. have you somehow gotten around this? It's not a matter of pedal location or anything else (size 13 shoes btw). I do prefer a pedal hinged from the top than from the floor, but like i said because of the engine management system it does not make a difference.

-Steve
Old 08-16-2003, 05:49 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Hmmm....strange, I find it one of the easiest set ups to H&T.

I must be lucky!
Old 08-16-2003, 05:55 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 520 Posts

I can't H&T in the 996, so I double clutch. The key to rev matching when double clutching is to shift back into neutral and lift off the clutch before blipping the throttle - then reclutch to get into a lower gear. This insures that the two shafts on either side of the clutch are rotating at equal speeds before engaging a lower gear. After a few times you'll figure out just how much to blip the throttle for a smooth downshift. It took me some time to get used to it, but after you practice for a while you'll be able to make extremely smooth split-second downshifts.
Old 08-16-2003, 05:56 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 337 Likes on 233 Posts

I agree with Oak. While depressing the brake, I can blip the throttle and raise the RPM's without any problem.
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook
Old 08-16-2003, 06:02 PM
TTRob
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe throttle input is suspended/limited with your foot on the brake only when the car is in gear and the clutch is engaged. This situation should not interfere with heel and toeing/rev matching since you'll be blipping the throttle with the clutch disengaged and/or the car out of gear.
Old 08-16-2003, 06:20 PM
offroadr35
Instructor

Originally posted by TTRob
I believe throttle input is suspended/limited with your foot on the brake only when the car is in gear and the clutch is engaged. This situation should not interfere with heel and toeing/rev matching since you'll be blipping the throttle with the clutch disengaged and/or the car out of gear.
hmm, maybe i was just misinformed. i haven't been in the car for a month or so. Dr. G, double clutching is an entirely different thing and is not a method of quick downshifting during braking. Instead is basically an obsolete teqnique that was necessary before gearboxes had syncros and is now generally useless.

-Steve
Old 08-16-2003, 06:41 PM
KPV
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John,
I concur that you can blip throttle with your foot on the brake and the car in neutral.

All,
Although I have not driven mine in a while (don't ask) I have every recollection of having the ability to blip the throttle with your foot on the brake, clutch depressed and transmission in gear. But, then again, maybe my memory fails me. It certainly would not be the first time. If someone can please verify this I would appreciate it. With Porsche's racing heritage, I would find it ludicrous to think they blocked us out of the ability to heel and toe.
Old 08-16-2003, 07:38 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have no problems heel and toeing in my GT2, or 996 for that matter, (other than mis-timing it the odd time). You can blip the trottle to your heart's content, when the clutch is in. They even teach it at PDE.

But your question brings up a slightly different question, since I too have been told that braking kills the engine management system. Is there any point in learning how to left foot brake a TT for auto cross or track purposes? I would think not.
Old 08-16-2003, 07:44 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 549 Posts

I have always performed the heel-toe downshift with the ball of my foot on the brake and the heel on the throttle
I don't use "heel-toe" to rev. match during downshifts...I use "left part of my foot-right part of my foot". I brake with the ball of my right foot and roll my foot to throttle blip with the right side of my right foot. I never use my heel. Works with no problems and no restrictions...I do it all of the time. There isn't any restriction in the e-throttle while braking.
Old 08-16-2003, 08:15 PM
offroadr35
Instructor

ok i was mistaken evidently. so is the concensus that the EMS will allow a blip but not full on throttle?

Quick Reply: How do you downshift smoothly?