Sponsored by:

Valentine one installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 01:47 AM
N3O
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Valentine one installation

Finally I received the V1 today! I was wondering if I could hardwire it to the car instead of using the lighter as the power source. Does anyone here have the DIY procedures or have done this before? Any tips or links will be appreciated. Also, does anyone knows any shops in Los Angeles area that can do this. Thanks in advance
Old 08-14-2003, 02:34 AM
bigsky
Instructor

If you go back in this forum in the last month or two, someone had detailed how to do it. It is not very hard. I wired mine in the last month in about 1 hour. I ran the wire between the headliner and windshield, down and under the driver's door weatherstrip, under the dash and into the lower center console. There I found a wiring harness ( I believe it is for a phone or perhaps global positioning) and tapped into a switched wire. From start to finish about an hour. I use suction cups to hold the unit to the windshield just above and to the left of the rear view mirror. Someone gave the good hint of tying the wire up into the roof console in the event of suction cup failure the unit would not fall and damage anything. Good luck, Rob
Old 08-14-2003, 03:18 AM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

I think John D II posted that...
Actually, here it is - https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...threadid=81303

Last edited by msindi; 08-14-2003 at 03:37 AM.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:10 AM
N3O
Intermediate

BIG thanks guys...
Old 08-14-2003, 04:32 AM
N3O
Intermediate

Rob - you mentioned about the wiring harness that I could use to tap to get the power, but which one of them? and did you take off your lower center console?
Thanks
Old 08-14-2003, 10:09 AM
NC Bob
Instructor

Remove the panels to the center console. Inside there is a bundle of wires connected to a plug. In that bundle is a green/black wire. That is the switched one. All you need to do is strip about an inch of insulation off the V-1 wire, fold it double and insert it into the corresponding plug that leads to the green/black wire. Wrap electrical tape around the entire plug to hold the wire in place. You're done.
Old 08-14-2003, 12:50 PM
tme
Advanced

Wink

I have the stealth V1 install. The remote disply is in the rearview mirror. The volume/contoller is in the knockout nex to the headlight switch and the guts are in the headliner in the rear. All the convienece of the K40 with the performance of the V!. I've had the K40 in 2 cars and their is no comparison, the V1 blows it away. Here is a link with some pics of the install (theirs not much to see as everything is hidden)

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i...e21b32aa5c3a449

Old 08-14-2003, 01:10 PM
LSM
Racer

Originally posted by tme
I have the stealth V1 install. The remote disply is in the rearview mirror. The volume/contoller is in the knockout nex to the headlight switch and the guts are in the headliner in the rear. All the convienece of the K40 with the performance of the V!. I've had the K40 in 2 cars and their is no comparison, the V1 blows it away. Here is a link with some pics of the install (theirs not much to see as everything is hidden)

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i...e21b32aa5c3a449

The guts are in the headliner? I have been tossing around getting a V1 but, I have tinted windows at 20% which I heard effects performance. Even if I use the remote display, I still haven't figured out where to put the big bulky unit so that it picks up rader. I do not want the unit right in the middle of my front window. How exactly do I mount the unit so that it is not in the middle of my window??

-Lou
Old 08-14-2003, 01:16 PM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

LSM - only metal pigment tint I believe affects radar detectors...
Old 08-14-2003, 01:21 PM
tme
Advanced

They took the guts out of the plastic case and put them in the headliner in the middle right by the rear window. It's up high and gets front and rear line of sight. It made a little bump in the headliner but you wouldn't notice it unless you looked for it.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:21 PM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

LSM - as has been mentioned in several other posts, window tint does not adversely affect radar detection, but it can interfere with laser detection. However, most people mount their V-1's in the upper portion of their windshield, thereby negating about 90% of any laser detection to begin with, so the tint doesn't really matter.

*the 90% figure is just a guesstimate based on the fact that police laser is usually not aimed that high and the beam dispersion is very low.

Old 08-14-2003, 01:22 PM
tme
Advanced

I bet the Valentine web site addresses this, I would go check it out or give them a call.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:27 PM
LSM
Racer

tme- who did the install for you? I would be interested in doing something like that.

Trojan Man- Thanks for clarification, I did not know that tint only affected laser detection. Also, thanks for pointing out that it really doesn't matter anyway because of the low point that the laser is aimed. Thanks

-Lou
Old 08-14-2003, 01:33 PM
tme
Advanced

Cool

A guy in Little Falls , NJ Nick did it. His email is syris@mac.com He has done a bunch of work for me all top notch. He got me the mirror and the unit then put it together.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:37 PM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

tme - any $$ amounts if possible??? Many people sell the mirror alone but it is way overpriced IMO..

Quick Reply: Valentine one installation