Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use a CB to avoid speeding tickets?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003 | 05:32 PM
Tim Burns
Intermediate

Default Anyone use a CB to avoid speeding tickets?

As you all know, these cars are hard to drive slow. 85 MPH on the highway is nothing. Anyway, I was at the Porsche dealer the other day and they said that a lot of people are using CB radios to try id where the cops are sitting. I looked at radio shack and they have a handheld unit for $99. Do any of you use a CB for this purpose, and/or do you know if a $99 handheld unit is any good?

Thanks,
Tim
Old 08-06-2003 | 06:11 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

well truckers have been known to do it on the highway, but I don't see much good comming out of it in the city. I'd look into a police scanner before a CB
Old 08-06-2003 | 06:29 PM
mjc123
Instructor

Works OK but you've got to continually listen for the words "smokey at mile marker ____" among the mindless banter. The trusty V1 is your best defense.

If you go with a CB make sure you get an exterior mount antenna (made even for handhelds, that slip over the window; if you find one let me know where) especially if you have tinted windows.
Old 08-06-2003 | 08:44 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

The three things that fire-up every time I turn the key are, the phone, my Val 1 w/remote, and the Uniden Beartracker.
I run it in the state/county quiet-alert mode.........only beep alerts when it detects radio carrier within a couple miles, no other audio.
Otherwise, it has defaults to scan for CB, local police, county, state (by state cause they use dif freq) and.....on long trips when you are wondering why you're bumper to bumper stopped in the middle of no where & wondering why.....flip-on the audio and hear the truckers.

Last edited by GreggT; 08-06-2003 at 11:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone use a CB to avoid speeding tickets?