Sponsored by:

Blew up my engine this weekend!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 08:56 AM
Tuxiemama
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I threw up a little in my mouth when someone said Ls1 > Metzger

What a crock of unadulterated BS... don't let me start on the failures of Ls1 and LsX engines... my old man was an engineer at GM, Opel, Isuzu, Vauxhall and Holden for 35+ years... his stories of GM debacles were constant dinner table fodder..............

and as for the 300k mile argument, I have an old Subaru Outback on my farm downunder that has over 300k miles on the same engine... but it hardly goes like a Porsche Turbo
Old 06-06-2014, 08:28 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Each to his own: I'd never consider doing that to my Porsche.
Cool. I respect your opinion. Mine is that if my engine blew, and my intent was to use the car as a track car, I'd do it in a heartbeat. To each his own.

"Now we're talking"?? I don't think so.
Statements like yours amaze me. What does anyone gain by finding excitement in "blowing the doors off a 996 Turbo" in some modified car when the Turbo owner could likely easily afford to build the same (or better) car if he wanted to?? Does "blowing his doors off" somehow indicate that the Turbo owner made a bad decision purchasing his Turbo?
Again, you miss the point entirely. A 986 sleeper car with an LS engine in it will outhandle and outperform a stock 996TT anyday. That, in a car worth $20K (counting cost of conversion). To me, that's golden. It doesn't say anything about the turbo owner. You don't like the idea? Fine. I do.
You also missed the point that I own (and aggresively track) a heavily modded 02' X50. That car is a beast. However, the cost of maintenance and "track prep" is quite considerable. Last December I blew a gear at Barber and my tranny rebuild was around $15K. That would buy you three LS engines.
Think about that.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:32 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuxiemama
I threw up a little in my mouth when someone said Ls1 > Metzger
yeah. no one ever misspells "hans".
Old 06-06-2014, 08:56 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by jbossolo
Again, you miss the point entirely.
No I don't

A 986 sleeper car with an LS engine in it will outhandle and outperform a stock 996TT anyday.
So??

And what's important about being a "sleeper"?? Who are you trying to fool?

That, in a car worth $20K (counting cost of conversion). To me, that's golden.
Why??

What is it about "blowing the doors off" a Turbo that excites you so much??

...I own (and aggresively track) a heavily modded 02' X50.
I really don't care.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:22 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by blockhed
So what do you drive, and why are you here if you love the LS so much? I have personally seen my brothers c6 in stock form lose a cam bolt and saw a almost new zr1 with head internals not torqued properly. Every car has a problem and it's all about maintenance and tune. Metzger>LS
Well I bought one after reading the many posts on how the car was amazing and bulletproof. Apparently the cars I build must be much more than amazing, because I am disappointed in both the reliability and the performance. I know that these cars are more reliable than Ferraris and some Lamborghini's but that isnt saying a whole lot.
I believe it is a matter of some being enamored with the status of the 996 and overlooking these issues, and I look at it as a car, nothing else. I don't enjoy working on something that should not fail in the first place, and for the price of these vehicles, most of these failures should not happen.
I laugh at the sticker on my cayenne turbo that states overfilling oil can cause catalytic converter damage, yet these piles burn oil at the rate of a quart plus per 1000 miles which I guess is fine for the converters. Same for the 996, but it leaks as well.
As for the failure rate of an ls based engine versus a mezger engine I guarantee the Chevrolet has a failure rate that is a fraction of the 996 engines, simple because of the numbers produced.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:33 AM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

What's the failure rate on the 996 turbo compared to the LS motor?

Please quantify these data points for us.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:10 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

cdl4219 If I read correctly you bought your car with 88k did you have a ppi. A car with that many miles will need some oil leaks and other things looked about its common and not out of the norm. I believe you had the cooling pipe issue and I would not like having that issue soon after purchase but again ppi. If I have my info wrong I apologize as I just read some past posts and may be confused. Give the car a chance its older and will need some patience.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:42 AM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 109 Posts

Cdk please let's see your car and get some information please.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:33 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

A 911 body with an LS1 will outperform a 996tt, I kind of doubt it, in the first place the flat six is able to keep more of the weight down low in the car more than any Ls1. The utube presentation says the Ls1 has the AC and alternator low, so there is no difference! The alternator and Ac compressor make up how much of the total weight? Not nearly enough as compared to the flat six keeps the weight low. Secondly the engines in the presentation don't have dry sump oiling - hence starvation on those >.9 g turns. My opinion if you only want to go straight then maybe there is an argument, but Porsche never designed their cars to go straight! Secondly with a tune and minor mods the 3.6 ltr flat 6 can put out around 500Hp as compared to the LS1. Lot more HP per lltr in the flat 6 vs the Ls1.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:29 PM
Byron in MS
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow! I've been on the road working for the last several days. Glad to see the topic being hashed out! There are a couple of engines on eBay that came out of later model cars. There are even a couple of X50 engines! Will an '02-'05 engine bolt right into my '01 without changing the DME? When I did engine swaps in my Boxster, I always stayed with the same model year for simplicity. Are there other issues involved in a swap that I should be aware of?
Old 06-07-2014, 01:30 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

You can install the newer "year" engine. X50 and or GT2 engine.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:02 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by PAULUNM
What's the failure rate on the 996 turbo compared to the LS motor?

Please quantify these data points for us.
Well I own or have owned over 10 ls based engines in swapped cars as above, and stock Ctsv and 3/4 ton trucks. All of the swapped cars have a minimum of 360whp and the forced inductions ones range from 530whp to 620. All of these engines are STOCK with the only changes in the engines being camshafts on the NA cars. They get Driven and beat on as hard as I can, and I have NEVER had a simple failure period. Wait I had to replace the water pump on one of them with 120,000 miles. Oh yea I forgot to add that all of these drive trains came from the junk yard, so a PPI was out of the question. None of them use oil at the rate these Porsches do, and as I explained before most will outperform the 996 turbo, even getting better fuel mileage. Oh they don't like my 83,000 mile 996 either.

This is the same discussion I had with the rx7 people about 13 years ago when I did the first ls1 swap ever into one of those cars then, ruining the soul of the car, because the 13b turbo rotary was such a great engine and the v8 was going to ruin the handling of the car. Do yourself some research and find out how that turned out for the world of rx7 lovers.

I am disappointed in all of you who think that this $140,000 car is bulletproof, it is'nt. A PPI isn't really needed on a bulletproof car In my opinion , as most if not all of these cars are well cared for on the lubrication schedule

If you don't have the resources or the mind set to put a different engineHi Chris. What you to put our parade house on your radar. Weather depending we may be ready for you in two weeks. Thank you in a car, put the old one back in. I am a firm believer if it ain't broke don't fix it, but an all aluminum ls v8 in this car would make it a much better faster and more reliable car that is a fact.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:11 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

cdk4219...do you still own a 996 Turbo??
Old 06-07-2014, 06:33 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A lot of anger there maybe some warranted but its best left alone in my opinion because his is made up lol.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:56 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cdk4219
None of them use oil at the rate these Porsches do...
Normal Turbo oil consumption is an indication of the Turbo not being bullet proof??

Quick Reply: Blew up my engine this weekend!