Sponsored by:

Exhaust Review: Speedtech 2.5 X-Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 04:57 AM
PaleAle
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PaleAle
Thanks to all for the input. I ordered the 2.5 "Quiet" X-cellerator Exhaust System with round tips today from John today.

A few people recommended ordering new front O2 sensors for multiple reasons. Now I might be naive but I'm hoping for better gas mileage and a HP boost. Luckily I only really want the new sound.
I finally completed the install today. All I can say is WOW. At first I thought the "Quiet' was too quiet. Boy was I wrong! Quiet enough to avoid pissing off the neighbors at start and idle. Loud enough at 3500-4000 rpm's to go straight from 6 to Midnight! Going through a tunnel or section of road with high barriers should be avoided at all costs, either that or be prepared to put your foot through the floor board. I'll post some before and after sound bites as soon as I can.

BTW, it didn't hurt that I hadn't driven the car for for 5 weeks due to surgery on my right hand on 9/1. I had a freak accident where I severed 2 tendons, 3 nerves and the artery in late August. I'm pretty sure my physical therapist is going to read me the riot act tomorrow morning!

Last edited by PaleAle; 09-26-2016 at 04:58 AM. Reason: gramm9ar
Old 11-06-2016, 06:29 PM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ugh, this doesn't help at all. I was thinking about getting an LSD and doing a RWD conversion. For a little more I can do this in the off season instead.

Took an older, not so quiet Speedtech exhaust off, but kind of missing some sound. But also need to leave the neighborhood quietly and be able to have conversations when cruising. From all the reports, it sounds like this system fits the bill.

What tips did you go with PaleAle?
Old 11-06-2016, 10:55 PM
PaleAle
Racer

I went with the round performance tips and I'm not crazy about the look. The exhaust is awesome but there is drone. I'm not sure if it's my car & driving environment (South San Francisco Bay Area so I am always in traffic, often stop and go) or the exhaust. I will hardly ever see 6th gear as I need 3K+ RPM to avoid any drone. Please note that John has been very supportive.

I'm adding sound proofing over the Thanksgiving week. I really want it to work / help.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:11 AM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

So it's the quiet system with cats and you still have drone. Safe to assume oem tips won't help? And yes I'm there 4 to 5 times a year and the traffic is awful!
Old 11-07-2016, 12:53 AM
vogz
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by clubracer6
Ugh, this doesn't help at all. I was thinking about getting an LSD and doing a RWD conversion. For a little more I can do this in the off season instead.

Took an older, not so quiet Speedtech exhaust off, but kind of missing some sound. But also need to leave the neighborhood quietly and be able to have conversations when cruising. From all the reports, it sounds like this system fits the bill.

What tips did you go with PaleAle?

I can easily have conversations while cruising with my 2.5in catted X-pipe. It's loud on start up and screams at WOT, but steady state cruising isn't bad at all. My wife even fell asleep on a longer highway trip. The 2.5in quiet system is FAR quieter than my setup, so conversations shouldn't be a problem at all. Should be a good bit quieter on startup too. If you want to hear my system, let me know. I'm only about 30 mins from you.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:31 PM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vogz
I can easily have conversations while cruising with my 2.5in catted X-pipe. It's loud on start up and screams at WOT, but steady state cruising isn't bad at all. My wife even fell asleep on a longer highway trip. The 2.5in quiet system is FAR quieter than my setup, so conversations shouldn't be a problem at all. Should be a good bit quieter on startup too. If you want to hear my system, let me know. I'm only about 30 mins from you.
Isn't that what PaleAle is stating he has? Start up and drone are my two main concerns. Would love to hear yours. Email me at my screen name at aol to let me know where are you located.

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2016, 03:13 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 214 Posts

So it's the quiet system with cats and you still have drone. Safe to assume oem tips won't help? And yes I'm there 4 to 5 times a year and the traffic is awful!
A few thoughts about this...

IMO and in the opinion of many of our customers, our systems have no to very little drone, especially as compared to what is available for aftermarket exhausts. Every once in a while there is someone who is very sensitive to drone and they are bothered by the sound. Especially if they have a tiptronic or drive in slow traffic a lot, where the engine is just lugging along. There seems to be a small percentage of people that are bothered by aftermarket exhausts. Many of this group end up going back to stock and some even feel the OEM exhaust has drone, so it's very subjective. I consider myself fairly sensitive to drone and I run our 3.0 X-Pipe. IMO, the drone is very minimal, only in a very small window and only if stuck behind slower moving vehicles and lugging the engine. When I can drive the car at will on back roads/highways or cruise steady on the highway, I experience no drone, just epic sound and it's a blast to operate the car. It screams like a real exotic at WOT and emits a nice "tuned" sound at steady throttle, even my wife likes the 3.0 X-Pipe. I have many, many people using our 2.5 models that claim "no drone", but I know that does not apply to everybody, but I feel the vast majority of our customers are not bothered by our 2.5 models. If anyone wishes to discuss this aspect directly with me/us, feel free to PM, email or call. We will be happy to answer all questions in depth. Also, Re; OEM tips mentioned above.....the OEM tips will bring out drone that is otherwise not present with our SE tips, therefore we recommend our SE tips.
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook

Old 11-07-2016, 03:19 PM
vogz
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Isn't that what PaleAle is stating he has? Start up and drone are my two main concerns. Would love to hear yours. Email me at my screen name at aol to let me know where are you located.

Thanks!
I think he has the 2.5 quiet based on his first post. As John says, some people are really sensitive to drone. I personally think some of the disconnect is hearing the exhaust at cruising speed vs. drone.

All aftermarket exhausts for the 996TT are audible at cruising speed. Some people want a Lexus quiet exhaust at cruise and powerful sound at WOT. It's simply not possible. unless you have a valved system with lots of muffling for cruise.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:50 AM
PaleAle
Racer

I have the 2.5" Quiet and have to agree with John that at WOT the car sounds awesome. Shift under an overpass and people gawk. I recently drove it to an Audi event at Sears Point and had a chance to wind it out when we arrived. Guys stopped to see what the sound was and then ended up coming over to take pictures. Awesome.

All - do not take most post about Speedtech Exhausts as negative. Mine is my daily driver and I'm stuck in terrible traffic every morning and many evenings. The exhaust sounds awesome as shift gears in a normal (aggressive as John points out) progression. But that's not my world.

Pale

Last edited by PaleAle; 11-08-2016 at 01:38 AM. Reason: correction
Old 11-08-2016, 04:13 PM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Thanks all! I've watched this subject closely since removing my old set up.

Fully throttle very often but when cruising in traffic I am in 6th and during the week i can be in the phone so I can be sensitive to drone.

PaleAle I only asked because you said there was drone and you were adding sound insulation.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:41 AM
PaleAle
Racer

After riding in a 997.2, a supercharged S2000 and 2014 & 2017 V10 R8's, I've discovered that I'm more susceptible to drone than most. Each of these guys absolutely love how my car sounds, as does my wife (that was a big surprise!).

I researched sound proofing and decided to try RAAMmat + Ensolite from RAAMAudio. I completed the install today to the interior rear deck and the results are very impressive.

After 2 short rides I've measured a reduction in cabin noise at idle and noticed I can cruise at lower RPMs in 5th & 6th gear. I think adding the RAAMAudio materials changed the exhaust tone in the cabin which has really helped me.

So after $60 and 4 hours of labor/love I have an exhaust that completes my experience in the car. Awesome.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:14 AM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Great to hear. I rode in Vogz 996 a couple of weeks ago and didn't think it was too bad at all. I was even more suprised when he told me his was the 2.5 X pipe, so the quiet set up must be that much better.

Enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
Old 03-16-2017, 03:44 PM
M BADGER
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a quick update. After 34,000 miles and 3 years, I still love my exhaust every time I drive the car. I actually get a little disappointed when the car is warm and I miss out on the extra cold start madness...
Old 03-16-2017, 04:09 PM
Berra
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Cold start is nuts, I'm sure one could use could starts instead of defibrillators on people. It's loud and a pure joy!
Old 03-16-2017, 05:16 PM
gophaster
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very true...I was at a car show last year and it started really early in the morning and ended around 4or5 pm. There was a family sitting behind the car that was parked next to me (another 996tt)..when I got in to start my car I had forgotten that it would be a cold start. I happened to catch the reaction of the folks sitting back there in my side view when I fired her up. I swear one of the ladies nearly jumped out of her skin...sorry

I actually did feel really bad but just didn't think of it until it was too late. Wont happen again. With great power comes great responsibility

I'm really happy with my Speedtech!!!!

Originally Posted by Berra
Cold start is nuts, I'm sure one could use could starts instead of defibrillators on people. It's loud and a pure joy!

Quick Reply: Exhaust Review: Speedtech 2.5 X-Pipe