Sponsored by:

iPhone and our radios

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 03:23 PM
jeffbnnc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPhone and our radios

Been struggling with what to do to play my iPhone 5 thru my stereo. Looked at all the options and decided to give the cheap FM modulation a test.

Let me qualify this commentary...I'm an audio snob. I'm not a high end car stereo guy or anything like that. I just have a keen sense of how something sounds.

Went to Best Buy and tried out the Scosche TuneFreq option. Plugged it in. Tuned it to 88.3 and it sounds just like a CD! Clear as a crystal and nothing like the modulated stuff sounded a few years ago. Granted, the cord from the dash is there. But it charges at the same time. For me, that cord is there most of the time anyways while driving.

It was $65 and well worth it. Very happy. No more burning CD's or skips!!! Yellow and white box back in the car stereo section. Has a digital LED readout. I tried to snap a pic but this dang app makes you use such a small image that it wouldn't work. Argh. App doesn't list peoples asking prices for cars or parts they list for sale either! But that's for another forum!

Have a good weekend, people!
Old 01-10-2014, 03:34 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 163 Likes on 133 Posts

I don't see it in Scosche site ? Can you give us the model number? Thanks!

http://www.scosche.com
Old 01-10-2014, 04:34 PM
jeffbnnc
Intermediate

Here's one on eBay. Good deal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/301063383366?lpid=82
Old 01-10-2014, 06:01 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

i used the motorola t505 for about 50 bucks. it's old tech but it still works. synch's the iphone via bluetooth and plays music and still allows handsfree calls. it's technology circa early 2000's.. much like the car
Old 01-10-2014, 06:12 PM
jeffbnnc
Intermediate

Sounds like a cool device. My problem is that the Bluetooth drains my battery and without an option to charge it, I'd be out of luck. For me, this device plays and charges my phone at the same time. I'd love the Bluetooth device to be able to make phone calls. Even though the drone would overshadow the call.

Lots of options out there. We're all lucky to live in a country and have opportunities that afford us the chance to drive these awesome cars.

Porsches and pancakes tomorrow with the local PCA chapter! Can't wait.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:09 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

I'm assuming you guys have 2003+ cars with the MOST fiber-optic bus? My Boxster S had that (before I ripped everything out.) But the 2001-2002 Turbos get by with good old copper wire, and you can stick a cheap little wire harness into the back of it (The CDR220 just slides out with a couple of cheap little tools that come from the same place as the harness, for about 4 bucks iirc.)

Anyway, it allows you to plug the ipod/phone into the radio via hardwire, which of course sounds better than a bluetooth or FM connection. I'm just mentioning this in case you have an earlier car and weren't aware of the simple wired solution. As for charging, I never need it in day-to-day driving, but if I were to go on a long trip in the TT and wanted to play music for 7 hours or something, I'd just charge the phone through the cig lighter. Or, for sixty bucks, you can get this connector with power capability also.

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/BLAU-8-3.5MS.html
Old 01-10-2014, 10:04 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I got one of these a long time ago, works like a charm:

http://www.iwirep.com/products/iwirep-220-ipod
Old 01-12-2014, 11:39 AM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What jpflip said.....................!