Sponsored by:

Keys

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 12:52 PM
sdm100
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Keys

New purchase only comes with one set of keys. As I want to have a spare anyone know what the cost of this along with programing would run me?
Old 01-09-2014, 02:01 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

$250-$500
I need one also. Don't buy a key fob off of ebay unless it comes with a key code card. If they don't have it when programing you bought a paper weight. When I looked a while back Sunset in Oregon seemed to be the best deal for the key and fob.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:21 PM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Where do u get the key cut. I got the fob and a blank key. The fob is programmed and ready to go but haven't found a place to cut the key.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:43 PM
sdm100
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Key f/u

Call Sunset Porsche the price for the key and fob were nearly 40% of what my dealer wanted. My dealer with programing wanted $650 ridiculous ! The key usually can be cut by a good shop
Old 01-09-2014, 07:08 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 409 Posts

only have the key cut by a dealer. They don't charge much and if they screw up they owe you a new key!
Old 01-09-2014, 08:04 PM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sdm100
Call Sunset Porsche the price for the key and fob were nearly 40% of what my dealer wanted. My dealer with programing wanted $650 ridiculous ! The key usually can be cut by a good shop
Wouldn't the key come cut and programmed from a dealer? I also need an additional key as I have one good key and one dead key.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:52 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I ordered keys for my 944 and 928 by using vin and they came ready to use= don't know about the newer models.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:12 PM
enzowho
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

None of the independent shops in my area would program or cut the key. Several lock smiths indicated the tooling for that type of Key was not cost effective. Took it to the dealer and they programmed and cut up to 2 keys for 1 hour of shop time.

A friend ordered his cut from the factory based upon his vin number. Worked well, but cost a lot more and wouldn't work if the ignition was previously changed.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:34 AM
Melb-Mike
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running into the same thing. I just bought the car in Atlanta and it came with one key. The fob wouldn't work so you had to hustle in the car after opening it with the key at the door or the alarm goes off. So I took it to the dealer yesterday. They replaced the inside electronics with a new unit at a cost of $170.63, then charged me $130 to program the new fob. The key was already cut so not an issue. They gave me a 15% discount on parts and labor for being a member of a Porsche club (PBOC). With tax and shop materials (??) charge, came to $293. However, I had the key blade part and key shell.

I had called a locksmith who can do the Porsche keys. He advised me that I would get a better deal at the dealership than he could do since the dealer can just hook up their computer to the OBD-II port and program it. He has to remove the computer from the car, open it up and remove the chip to program it. Then he re-installs the chip and the computer and programs the resulting set up with his computer on the OBD-II port. Time consuming and expensive as he put it.

I noticed that a lot of cars now have the blade type of key like the Porsche. My friend's brand new Chevy Malibu has the same kind of blade key. I don't know who can grind these blades. I see blanks sold on ebay which are uncut and failry cheap without the electronics. I checked prices of the electronic fob from various Porsche parts suppliers like Pelican, Suncoast, Gaudin and all vary by a good margin. They also all claim a different MSRP cost to begin with. I know the fob is for real $170.63 from my Porsche dealer in Melbourne, FL but not sure if geographical differences means different prices with Porsche. I'm too new at this game so I'm learning, mostly at my own expense.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:36 AM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 146 Posts

To be able to program or reprogram your keys there are some specific information you need. First you need the IPAS code. IPAS is a series of code to reprogram different, specific to your car, systems (alarm, immobilizer, DME, transponder etc…) . This information can be obtain only from a Porsche dealer. The other information you need is a 24 digits number that is specific to your key. When you purchase a key it has to have a label with this number attach to your key. The third thing you need is a PST2 or a PIWIS (Durametric does not have this function). You need all the keys for your car when you reprogram a single one and you can reprogram up to 4 keys per car. And finally you have to follow every single steps mention in the repair manual page 1155 "Teaching handheld transmitter" (don't ask me why you cannot jump a step LOL!!! The first time I did it took me over three hours!!!! But finally, with the help of Loren on Renntech everything went fine!!!)

IPAS code, its been discuss on different forums and those codes are yours and the dealers has to give it to you if your asking for them with of course proof of ownership...
Old 01-10-2014, 12:00 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jpflip
To be able to program or reprogram your keys there are some specific information you need. First you need the IPAS code. IPAS is a series of code to reprogram different, specific to your car, systems (alarm, immobilizer, DME, transponder etc…) . This information can be obtain only from a Porsche dealer. The other information you need is a 24 digits number that is specific to your key. When you purchase a key it has to have a label with this number attach to your key. The third thing you need is a PST2 or a PIWIS (Durametric does not have this function). You need all the keys for your car when you reprogram a single one and you can reprogram up to 4 keys per car. And finally you have to follow every single steps mention in the repair manual page 1155 "Teaching handheld transmitter" (don't ask me why you cannot jump a step LOL!!! The first time I did it took me over three hours!!!! But finally, with the help of Loren on Renntech everything went fine!!!)

IPAS code, its been discuss on different forums and those codes are yours and the dealers has to give it to you if your asking for them with of course proof of ownership...
I asked Sunset for the learning code (IPAS?)- they said Porsche's new policy is to not give the code out- so you have to go to the dealer to have a key programmed (well, car programmed technically).

Unfortunate, as my indy mechanic can do it for a lot less than a dealer.

Anyone else heard this?
Old 01-10-2014, 12:57 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WPOZZZ
Wouldn't the key come cut and programmed from a dealer? I also need an additional key as I have one good key and one dead key.
I had the key cut by the dealer, they have a key cutting machine in their parts department. Cutting the key was the cheap part, programming more.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:04 PM
Melb-Mike
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are they programming, the key fob or the car's computer to accept the signal from the fob ? It seems to me they only hook up to the car.

Another question I have, if I had the one new fob programmed, will I have to get it reprogrammed if I get another key/fob, and if so, am I paying $130 for each to be done or is it a programming charge regardless of the number of fob's ?

I saw on ebay someone selling 9 Porsche pre-cut keys with fob's installed in the shell for around $450 (currently). If the keys are pre-cut, are they all the same for the 996 or is the cut an individual one specifically for your car ? I looked at their cuts and they look a lot like mine from a distance. Not too sure about all this. I'm thinking if all the key cuts are the same, then one quick brick thru the window and I'm off with your car.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:07 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Melb-Mike
What are they programming, the key fob or the car's computer to accept the signal from the fob ? It seems to me they only hook up to the car.

Another question I have, if I had the one new fob programmed, will I have to get it reprogrammed if I get another key/fob, and if so, am I paying $130 for each to be done or is it a programming charge regardless of the number of fob's ?

I saw on ebay someone selling 9 Porsche pre-cut keys with fob's installed in the shell for around $450 (currently). If the keys are pre-cut, are they all the same for the 996 or is the cut an individual one specifically for your car ? I looked at their cuts and they look a lot like mine from a distance. Not too sure about all this. I'm thinking if all the key cuts are the same, then one quick brick thru the window and I'm off with your car.
The PST2, once connected to the OBDII, will ask you to put the key in the contact to see if it was program already or not… If it was program already it got a position in the programming…Position one, two, three or four…If the key was already program there is no more work to do on it since the computer already sees it! But if it was not program the mechanic will have to reprogram and the computer will give it one of the free position. this function is called "teaching an Hand-transmitter… Be careful with Ebay's keys, first not two keys are cut the same!!!! Plus I already mention, you need a label with 24 digits attach to it to reprogram the key. Without those numbers the reprogramming is impossible!!!
Old 01-10-2014, 03:17 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PAULUNM
I asked Sunset for the learning code (IPAS?)- they said Porsche's new policy is to not give the code out- so you have to go to the dealer to have a key programmed (well, car programmed technically).

Unfortunate, as my indy mechanic can do it for a lot less than a dealer.

Anyone else heard this?
That's unfair… They don't want independent shop to work on your car…I remember on Renntech someone complain to PCA about it and finally got the codes…But that was long time ago...

Quick Reply: Keys