Sponsored by:

Keys

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 03:35 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by jpflip
That's unfair… They don't want independent shop to work on your car…I remember on Renntech someone complain to PCA about it and finally got the codes…But that was long time ago...
Unfair? Or just good security? Those codes are the passkey to the car's security module. Once out they are out forever.

Modern Porsches have a very low theft rate and part of it is I think due to the very tight control Porsche maintains on this vital bit of information.

Might add that part of this security is the means of delivering the codes, which I believe is done via the PIWIS2 diagnostic computer system and its secure and intimate link to the factory.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:43 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 473 Likes on 316 Posts

Whatever it is, it is highway robbery if the dealership/factory can't store the codes somewhere in their system, and then they charge you that much to reprogram the key, or force you to buy a new key altogether if you don't have the code anymore. I'm on my 4th Porsche, all bought used, and I've never been given the secret code for any of the keys by the prior owners, who I'm sure had lost them years ago anyway. So now, when my key no longer wants to connect itself to my seat memory, it's an expensive and inconvenient hassle to solve the problem.

I'd rather have a regular old key and risk my car getting stolen than to be taken for a ride like this. I think it's another example of the needless Porsche tax.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:28 PM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

My dealer doesn't have the ability to cut the key. Guess I will call around to get it done. Any suggestions in NJ?
Old 01-11-2014, 10:01 PM
Melb-Mike
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you order a cut & programmed key from the dealer based on your VIN # ? I know I can for my 87 930 but the dealer cautioned me it was expensive from Porsche.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:05 PM
awesomebang
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, you can order a cut key from Porsche but ONLY your local dealer can program the key head. I just bought a key plus key head from Tristan at Sonnen Porsche for my 03 996X50.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:26 AM
carbonjim996tt
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Question about keys? I have an 02' TT and when I got the car it had a yellow key and a red key. I mean the case was black with a red strip or a yellow stripe. I also have a valet key. Anyone know the difference? Sorry if I'm not clear on my explanation.

Quick Reply: Keys