Sponsored by:

Is the 996 Turbo a boring car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 12:43 AM
sinking
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by rs10
Do I understand correctly that you found the PSS9/10s firmer than stock?? If so, it would be great to know, because it would affect my buying decision if I couldn't improve the ride quality.

Re. the others you mentioned (KW and Ohlins), I've always understood the KWs are more track biased, and enough people who sell them (for my previous car) told me they would not improved the ride that I stopped believing the ones who told me they would. But for the Turbo (or any other 996), have you found they are better for the ride than Bilstein?
KW makes several versions of coilovers. Your best bet for an all around coilover from KW is the V3. It actually has two valves in the shocks. One non adjustable for high frequency damping and one two way adjustable for low frequency damping.

Set it up with a minimal drop and don't go too stiff on the settings and you'll have improved handling with good levels of comfort.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:52 AM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Actually, when I mention understanding that the KWs would not be good for the ride quality of my previous car, I was thinking about the V3s.

How does the ride compare to stock fort the 996 Turbo?
Old 01-05-2014, 06:36 PM
sinking
Rennlist Member

Actually, when I mention understanding that the KWs would not be good for the ride quality of my previous car, I was thinking about the V3s.

For me the ride is just fine and the handling is MUCH MUCH better. Keep in mind my tolerance is higher than some and my cars purpose is to be fun on the weekend. I also have my shocks set a little firmer. I think if you are really worried about comfort you'll be plenty happy with them when set up properly.

Much of how coilovers feel is in the setup. I think a lot of people set them too low and don't realize they are bottoming out the shock but just think it's very firm. Out of the box mine were very low and it was a HARD ride. After I raised it up to about X73 ride height is was pretty decent.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:35 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OP is you want INTENSE driving sensation with hair raising feel, buy the MK1 S2000 or Integra type R.

Both cars blow away the E46 in sound and feel. Both are much slower than the M3, but you feel like you are driving at a billion miles per hour. Both cars rev to 8k RPM, both have spectacular manual gearboxes, and both feel intense when you are driving them.

MK1 S2000 is the most fun car I ever driven. Back in 2006 I worked at Honda dealership and we got MK1 S2k lease return. I drove the **** out of that car, you could power slide it around every corner at 15 miles per hour and spin donuts at will. 1-2-3 full throttle acceleration makes you feel like the F1 car driver, the sound is intense, the mechanical action is intense, the speed...is slow. You just rowed three gears and you only going past 60MPH.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:44 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Set of new in box V3s on 6Speed at a nice discount-

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...coilovers.html

No affiliation
Old 01-05-2014, 11:52 PM
BUTZI996TT
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Go for the V3s. You can set them up to be very comfortable yet handle amazingly. I dialed my ride/handling in with in the first week of installation. I love my V3s and would recommend them to others. I also would recommend Bilstein PSS9 / 10 coilover systems. Shoot me an email for more info / set up tips. info@butzigear.com
Old 01-06-2014, 09:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know exactly what you mean, I have a 99 996 with track susp. mods and fab speed bypass pipes and it is more raw fun than my stock 04 996tt on quick back road blasts, although It it is hard to admit it.Forced to choose I would still take the turbo however, because as we all know one lifes few absolutes is that there is no substitute for horsepower
Old 01-07-2014, 07:37 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

I wanted boring, but only relatively speaking. My previous DD was a 964 with Recaro Pole Position, bilstein HD's, sway bars, semisolid mounts and cat and 2ndry bypass. I also have a tuned 356C on 165 section tyres that demands that you concentrate when driving cold damp scottish mountain roads..

So, I am lucky to be able to keep the 964 and the 356, but bought a 996TT (last week) because I wanted a 911 that had surefooted speed with no drama and some refinement - isnt that the USP of this car? I wanted something to take my daughter to school in that didnt make the Taylor Swift CD jump on the bridge expansion joints, and that I could hear her stories. It is also a fine looking car, very affordable compared to GT3 etc., and the engine isnt going to blow up tomorrow.

So if anyone finds me discussing mods on here in a couple of months, STOP ME!
Old 01-07-2014, 05:31 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I recently tried a third Turbo, this time with a modified exhaust. I floored it in second - wow! I got my speed fix :-)

Uh oh, this makes things confusing. I want one of these. But do I want it more than an N/A car???

By the way, supposedly the only exhaust modification was different end tips/pipes. I'm not convinced - not only did it sound much more enthusiastic when going for it, it sounded much worse when not. It droned while cruising. End tips alone can't do all that, can they?

Also, supposedly the car was not chipped and had a stock suspension, suggesting that changing the exhaust is all you need. But I'm not convinced the car was as described - who would put in a race clutch, 19" wheels, a full aftermarket exhaust (not installed) and not chip the car? Also, there wasn't much space between the tires and the wheel arches ...
Old 01-07-2014, 11:36 PM
sinking
Rennlist Member

I recently tried a third Turbo, this time with a modified exhaust. I floored it in second - wow! I got my speed fix :-)

Uh oh, this makes things confusing. I want one of these. But do I want it more than an N/A car???

By the way, supposedly the only exhaust modification was different end tips/pipes. I'm not convinced - not only did it sound much more enthusiastic when going for it, it sounded much worse when not. It droned while cruising. End tips alone can't do all that, can they?

Also, supposedly the car was not chipped and had a stock suspension, suggesting that changing the exhaust is all you need. But I'm not convinced the car was as described - who would put in a race clutch, 19" wheels, a full aftermarket exhaust (not installed) and not chip the car? Also, there wasn't much space between the tires and the wheel arches ...
It's possible that the car had the stock exhaust but it was modified by drilling a hole in a baffle through the tail pipe opening... although that mod doesn't really cause much drone.

Quick Reply: Is the 996 Turbo a boring car?