Sponsored by:

Secondary air pump location

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 05:42 PM
jwex16
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Secondary air pump location

My secondary air injection pump is starting to whine on cold start. I want to try the lubrication fix I have found in my search. So where is this thing on a turbo and what needs to be removed to access it? Everything I found references a NA. This just started and the car is only driven on weekends. Should I even bother or wait for the spring? Any advice or photo is appreciated
Old 11-08-2013, 06:32 PM
mbgt72
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been searching around a lot as well. I'd like to just completely remove the SAI system and tune it out since I'm catless anyways. But there' really not any good diy's or info out there.

Based on the vacuum diagram under the engine hood, the SAI pump is somewhere buried on the passenger side of the engine compartment. You can see some of the piping by looking at the Porsche parts index.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:54 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If you look beyond the power steering pump forward. little to the right you will see a blackplastic round looking chamber thats it! You will have to drop the engine to remove it.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:04 PM
mbgt72
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
If you look beyond the power steering pump forward. little to the right you will see a blackplastic round looking chamber thats it! You will have to drop the engine to remove it.
You mean a full engine drop, or just lower via motor mounts?
Old 11-09-2013, 02:05 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Might get away with just rear mounts, and lowering! Its a bear to get to !
Old 11-09-2013, 01:33 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 339 Likes on 225 Posts

You can remove it without dropping the engine. It will help if you lower the engine. You will have to remove the right side boost hose. I recommend that you remove the clamp that hold the oil fill tube, the fill hose needs to be twisted and lifted out of the aluminum holder then zip tie it somewhere out of the way. Unclip the electrical connectors.

The airpump has a aluminum bracket that is mounted/bolted to the face of the pump. Remove the bolts, keep track of the support bushings. Then remove the two mounting bolts that secure the bracket to the intake manifold.
Remove the bracket, and then undo the hose clamp, and hose that is attached to the airpump. Rotate, and remove the airpump.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:47 PM
mbgt72
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kevin
You can remove it without dropping the engine. It will help if you lower the engine. You will have to remove the right side boost hose. I recommend that you remove the clamp that hold the oil fill tube, the fill hose needs to be twisted and lifted out of the aluminum holder then zip tie it somewhere out of the way. Unclip the electrical connectors.

The airpump has a aluminum bracket that is mounted/bolted to the face of the pump. Remove the bolts, keep track of the support bushings. Then remove the two mounting bolts that secure the bracket to the intake manifold.
Remove the bracket, and then undo the hose clamp, and hose that is attached to the airpump. Rotate, and remove the airpump.
Any information about the needed vacuum lines that need to be capped off or re-routed?

I was thinking of doing this when I do injectors install, so I'll have most all the parts torn off to reach the injectors since I'm planning to do this without completely dropping the motor, but will have the motor lowered.

I was looking at a couple PET diagrams to get an idea of the routing of the system and parts involved.

I came across a SAI blockoff set for 986 & 996 here. Which matched up to a DIY for the 996 NA models I found here which had this diagram posted:

Then looking through the diagrams for the 996 turbo specific I found this diagram:

But the second diagram, which is specific to the 996 turbo, looks slightly different. It seems part #4 (from first diagram) = part #10 (in second diagram). But part #6 (in diagram 1) doesn't match with anything in diagram 2.

Anyhow, using the second diagram it'd be nice to know what exactly would need to be blocked off and what would need to be re-routed as to prevent any vacuum leaks or other issues.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:59 PM
petron5000
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kevin

Thanks! I'll be likely doing this this weekend with my eBay special SAI

Quick Reply: Secondary air pump location