Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by leftlane
Now just start telling yourself "what wreck?"
There was a wreck?
Old 10-02-2013, 10:28 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think your car will be fine after the repair.
Gl
Old 10-05-2013, 12:25 AM
NYC996x50
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't worry your car will last forever if you have it fixed and do the proper maintenance. I've seen a few air cooled restoration projects and IMO, rust is worse than a collision. Here are a few things I learned from visiting various body shops.

I highly recommend a Porsche approved shop that sprays Glasurit which is the factory paint.

Definitely your car will be on a cellete bench for measurements. The car is steel so things can be bent back into shape or welded. I'm not a fan of aluminum; the welds require more precision and I would constantly be paranoid if the welder did a crappy job.

The doors will most likely have come out and be painted separately so that the door sills can be blended with the rear. When the doors go back on, the shop should have the gap spacers from Porsche to ensure perfect fitment. In some gap areas, there may be an allowable difference +- 2mm. I wouldn't accept a shop that "eyeballs' things.

Since insurance is involved, you might as well get the oem rear euro bumper. I think it costs about the same as the US version.

If you decide to sell the car, I recommend taking pictures of the entire build. Some people won't even bother with an accident car but there are some who would be interested if the repair was done right. I considered a 997 gt3 that was involved in an accident but at the time, the price was still too high.

Quick Reply: Unbelievable tonight - Warning - graphic content