Sponsored by:

Finally done: K24's, FVD exhuast, tune

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 10:36 AM
ChemMan
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Finally done: K24's, FVD exhuast, tune

Got done yesterday. When I got the 996TT, I said I would keep it stock. That did not last very long. Talk about a slippery slope.
After the Porsche Parade, I installed the 997GT3 shifter and 2nd gear detent. Picked up a set of k24 turbos but planned on waiting until next summer for installation. Basically trying not to spend too much at one time.
A few weeks later, I was "casually" browsing for exhaust systems. Casual turned into serious looking and I ended up picking up a FVD brombacher system from a fellow rennlister.
While waiting for the exhaust to arrive, I removed the OEM exhaust. BTW, if you have not done this before-this thing is heavy. The fvd exhaust is much lighter. I ended up deciding to just install the turbos now and get the tune done, instead of having to remove the exhaust next summer.
The tune was done by 911tuning. I had a good hour long conversation with Markski about what I wanted and so forth, what was possible...sent my ECU to him and he took care of it.
Putting it all back together came with some issues. I replaced the washers/seals etc with new as I was transferring accessories to the new turbos but the oil reservoir on the left k16 turbo presented major problems. At some point, it someone had crushed the drain plug into the reservoir. I mean it was in there. The thickness of the plug compared to the right k16 turbo was about half. It almost looked like someone had reinstalled it using an impact. I inserted my allen socket in all the way but could not budge it. The long story it that I ended up taking it to my mechanic. His acetylene torch could not do the job either. He actually damaged a pair of long handled snap on vice grips trying. I ordered a new reservoir. I also had to order new rubber screw plugs for the mounting plate for the ECU. Two of them were ripped. Special order via the Porsche dealership. An hour trip there and back on a Saturday with my two boys was fun. The dealership seemed empty though. Three boxsters in the showroom and a couple of Cayennes outside. The Porsches in for service out back were more interesting.
Put everything back on. Everything was going smoothly until the final bolt that needed to be tightened down, on the v band exhaust clamp. I did not not leave enough slack in the other bolts to line up the cat on the left side with the exhaust. I was off by maybe 3 mm. Went back and loosened up the other bolts and got it together.
Installed the 5 bar fpr. What a pain! Another one of those jobs that would be a piece of cake if the engine was out of the car.
So once everything was back installed, went for a drive and I blew a boost hose-lower intercooler on the right side. Lifted car, removed wheel, lining, got the hose in with clip properly this time, and reinstalled everything in 23 minutes. At this point it seemed like I was in automatic mode.
Yesterday, finally went for a drive. I was concerned about lag and so forth. I have to say that the car runs awesome. There is no waiting for the power to kick in when I press down on the gas. The power increase is amazing. The 996TT was great before but what an improvement now. I did not expect this much. I will admit that my experience with turbo lag centers around driving my buddy's 930 slantnose. But the k24's gave nothing like this.
Sound wise, there is definite drone. But I drove my aircooled 911 for 6 years with a sports exhaust and cat bypass and that was much louder.

Here are a couple of pictures and a video. The idle settled down after awhile. A lot of hours went into this project. My wife lent a hand, my nine year old son spend a lot of time turning bolts with me. I think he liked pulling of the lugs with the impact gun the most. My six year also sat down with Dad in the garage.

Attached Images    
Old 08-30-2013, 07:24 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

congrats on a job well done, and for accomplishing it on your own. wife and kids aside

i also have an fvd/brom exhaust. it doesn't seem to drone at all. drone can be awful. guess ya gotta stay out of 2.5-3k rpm for extended periods.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:48 PM
dubyaTT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations Michael!

If you read this forum long enough it seems the majority dont like K24s.

Too expensive, too much lag, not worth the effort and not enough power.

I have never understood it. I think it is a great choice for street cars.

Enjoy the weekend.

Quick Reply: Finally done: K24's, FVD exhuast, tune