Sponsored by:

Help :-(

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 02:23 PM
rory
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster

Not sure what you mean by leaking a certain amount?
I mean it will only drop to a certain point in the coolant tank and then doesn't lose anything after that? Just checked it today after 44 miles and its not dropped at all?
Old 08-15-2013, 04:50 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by rory
I mean it will only drop to a certain point in the coolant tank and then doesn't lose anything after that? Just checked it today after 44 miles and its not dropped at all?
Well, one explanation is the leak requires pressure to leak and with so much air space now the pressure can't build high enough to force coolant out.

The bottom line is if the coolant level falls like you report there's a leak.

You think it minor perhaps. I certainly don't.

There is a real risk to the engine with a coolant leak. Because pressure can't build the coolant is more likely to boil when hot. It is the pressure the system develops that raises the boiling point of the coolant. The anti-freeze (note the name!) is there for another reason.

So the pressure doesn't build. The risk is at the hotter points in the cooling system the hot coolant flashes to steam. This steam blocks coolant flow and contact with the hot area. Very localized overheating occurs which is not reflected in teh coolant temp gage or warning light as the heat is not being absorbed by the coolant for it is not coming into contact with the hot spots thanks to the steam pockets. This localized overheating can lead to head gasket leaks to a cracked head or even worse.

Find the leak.

Fix the leak.

ASAP.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:48 AM
rory
Track Day

Well, one explanation is the leak requires pressure to leak and with so much air space now the pressure can't build high enough to force coolant out.

The bottom line is if the coolant level falls like you report there's a leak.

You think it minor perhaps. I certainly don't.

There is a real risk to the engine with a coolant leak. Because pressure can't build the coolant is more likely to boil when hot. It is the pressure the system develops that raises the boiling point of the coolant. The anti-freeze (note the name!) is there for another reason.

So the pressure doesn't build. The risk is at the hotter points in the cooling system the hot coolant flashes to steam. This steam blocks coolant flow and contact with the hot area. Very localized overheating occurs which is not reflected in teh coolant temp gage or warning light as the heat is not being absorbed by the coolant for it is not coming into contact with the hot spots thanks to the steam pockets. This localized overheating can lead to head gasket leaks to a cracked head or even worse.

Find the leak.

Fix the leak.

ASAP.
I'm on the case - thanks macster - god I hate when things go wrong with my car! Nothing's ever simple :-(
Old 08-16-2013, 09:35 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

believe it or not: at times when replacing the coolant cap the breather doesn't seat properly ( happened to me ) which can cause some overflow out the cap and onto the motor mounts etc etc..disconcerting at best, since it sure acts like a LEAK.

it's not a "leak" per se.. but sure looks like one. coolant levels will not necessarily change if topped off. but coolant can/will breathe out the breather portion of the cap without a compromised expansion tank or other "leak". oh, indeed. look for whiteish dried coolant drips.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:31 AM
rory
Track Day

OK so my day just got really bad... took the car in for said "leak" to find out what was going on with it. Car is due a service (Minor) but I wanted to do a major service as I have no idea how the car was driven over the last year or indeed how well the service had been done by Porsche. (I have had VERY bad experiences with dealers in the past so I'm always dubious of them).

Anyway - speaking to the mechanic telling them I want a major and that there is slight hesitation under load when cold which I suggested could be mapping or a coil pack / spark plug. this would get covered off in the major service as they would be replaced anyway... coolant leak - mild seepage from front passenger rad... smelt it within about 3 seconds... turned it over for them...

"F### ME!!! What's wrong with this?!" Mechanic
"What?!" Me
"Sounds like a bag of nails! Sounds like your water pump bearing is gone!"

- my face... jesus H - I don;t need this....

Anyway turns out that something isn't right with it and more than likely its the water pump on its way out - which I want to replace now rather than it going and taking half the other stuff with it. Hopefully doesn't turn out to be a massive job with more problems. Good thing is seeing as the engine will be dropped slightly it means access to any other problems will be available so car is having full health check and replacing of ALL dodgy pieces on Monday. Only downside being I have no car over the weekend!

Anyone else had issues like this?!
Old 08-16-2013, 11:02 AM
Macster
Race Director

Used car.

Stuff happens.

Relax.

The water pump was found bad before it possibly could have failed catastrophically and done serious collateral damage.

Get it fixed.

Then enjoy.

A few days without your Turbo means you get to rent a car for the weekend. Try a new Dodge Charger/Challenger. I rented one (I forget which but I think it was a Charger) and was pleasantly surprised.

I have a 2nd car (another Porsche) but needed the car for some family stuff that the Porsches can't handle.

So, relax. Call and reserve a rental car and come Monday pick up your fixed Turbo.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:07 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How long have you had the car as a ppi should have caught this, that said there is almost always things you find after you get the car home and start driving/looking at it . I would get the repairs done and put it behind me=these are great cars.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Good thing you are getting the water pump replaced. When the bearing goes bad it is possible the plastic
vanes can break and do havoc in the water jackets.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:25 AM
rory
Track Day

Used car.

Stuff happens.

Relax.

The water pump was found bad before it possibly could have failed catastrophically and done serious collateral damage.

Get it fixed.

Then enjoy.

A few days without your Turbo means you get to rent a car for the weekend. Try a new Dodge Charger/Challenger. I rented one (I forget which but I think it was a Charger) and was pleasantly surprised.

I have a 2nd car (another Porsche) but needed the car for some family stuff that the Porsches can't handle.

So, relax. Call and reserve a rental car and come Monday pick up your fixed Turbo.
I know your right - stuff happens but at least I've picked it up early - rad will get done at the same time and a major service too so it should be in great shape after that.

Would love to rent a challenger but I'm in the UK and here is no where I could rent one of those from - I have a BMW 120d which I can use in the mean time so it not too bad - will make me appreciate the turbo when she's back.

Originally Posted by rmc1148
How long have you had the car as a ppi should have caught this, that said there is almost always things you find after you get the car home and start driving/looking at it . I would get the repairs done and put it behind me=these are great cars.
The car was a private sale and hpi was clear - my guess is a change of driver and use every day has put extra strain on it. I'm hoping so and that it wasn't broken before or ill be furious. I always find lots of things I'm not happy with when I buy a car - I like everything to be perfect! Ill put it behind me though and crack on on Monday. Then hopefully some trouble free motoring for a while.

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
Good thing you are getting the water pump replaced. When the bearing goes bad it is possible the plastic
vanes can break and do havoc in the water jackets.
I was looking online and I've seen what damage it can do - hopefully I've caught it early enough that it hasn't started to degrade. Hoping to get the car back running 100% then I just need to get some new rear tyres (305/30/19) that have more than 2mm tread left and the tracking redone and I should be good for at least a year (minus the mods!)
Old 08-17-2013, 09:51 AM
REDTURBO
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Rory,

In how many days/weeks did the antrifreeze go down below Minimum after you topped it up?

I think I may be seeing the same on mine but I never noticed what it was in the past to be honest.
I just changed the reservoir cap to the new cap ending in 04.
Toped it up last night, only took maybe less than a litre to fill close to max. Drove the car for about 1/2 hour and it's sitll where I have filled it (close to max). Of course I know I didn't run it long enough but I did not have the time to run it for longer.

I'm also going to purchase the coolant expansion tank and replace when my car is in storage this winter for good measures.
My machanic did advise me these water pumps should be replaced every 3-4 years regardless if there fine.

Thanks,
Old 08-17-2013, 10:10 AM
rory
Track Day

Originally Posted by sexirob
Hi Rory,

In how many days/weeks did the antrifreeze go down below Minimum after you topped it up?

I think I may be seeing the same on mine but I never noticed what it was in the past to be honest.
I just changed the reservoir cap to the new cap ending in 04.
Toped it up last night, only took maybe less than a litre to fill close to max. Drove the car for about 1/2 hour and it's sitll where I have filled it (close to max). Of course I know I didn't run it long enough but I did not have the time to run it for longer.

I'm also going to purchase the coolant expansion tank and replace when my car is in storage this winter for good measures.
My machanic did advise me these water pumps should be replaced every 3-4 years regardless if there fine.

Thanks,
It takes a few weeks to drop below minimum but then won't go any further - seeping radiator is the conclusion now - water pump in mine is an unrelated problem. Stick your nose by the front 3 radiator grills - coolant has a very specific smell so you'll probably notice Which one its likely to be. Supposedly the radiators can be a yearly expense in the UK due to our lovely weather - leaves get stuck and rot corroding the rads as they go. Very annoying - I've got custom grills on mine and its still done it which is annoying! Ill get them checked properly on Monday when the car is in for the pump - to be honest I'm hoping it is a radiator and not one of the 7 pipes bonded into the main engine area which has decided to give up the ghost :-)
Old 08-17-2013, 01:20 PM
Macster
Race Director

No extra strain. There is little strain on the water pump to begin with. They normally last a long time. The one in my Boxster lasted 170K miles. Its replacement is up to 100K miles.

They can decide to go bad rather quickly. For instance I replaced the belt in my Boxster and a few months later the water pump had to be replaced. There was no sign the water pump was going out when I replaced the belt: the water pump was quiet, the belt showed no signs of rubbing which is a sign of excessive play at an accessory drive, the water pump as was the case with all other accessory drives had not detectable play, the water pump wasn't leaking, and as best I could tell felt just fine when I spun it.

But a couple of months later it was noisy, had play, the belt was rubbing and there was leak sign at the pump. My driving pattern or vehicle usage didn't change. The water pump went from ok to not ok in just that short (probably shorter) time.

All a thorough used car check out by you and a PPI can do is find there is nothing currently wrong with the car. But you have to realize that after you buy the car and begin to use it things will eventually happen. While it is human nature to hope these things are years and thousands of miles into the future this is often not the case.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:42 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by rory
OK so my day just got really bad... took the car in for said "leak" to find out what was going on with it. ...I have no idea how the car was driven over the last year or indeed how well the service had been done....

"Sounds like a bag of nails! Sounds like your water pump bearing is gone!"

- my face... jesus H - I don;t need this....

Anyway turns out that something isn't right with it and more than likely its the water pump on its way out...

Anyone else had issues like this?!

Let's make this question easier: "Have any of you ever bought a used car with a sketchy service history, and NOT had the water pump go out?"
Old 08-17-2013, 03:45 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Let's make this question easier: "Have any of you ever bought a used car with a sketchy service history, and NOT had the water pump go out?"
.... Umm... Yes.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:49 AM
rory
Track Day

Originally Posted by Cuda911

Accept the service history isn't sketchy - that's the thing. It has a perfect porsche service history at all the right mileage / yearly marks. I have all the receipts for the work done over the last say 4 years including all the MOT and tax documents for the last 12 years.

Just one of those things I guess - I'm guna just take it on the chin and get the lot fixed while its in there. :-)

Quick Reply: Help :-(