Sponsored by:

Turbo RMS leak...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 04:01 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Turbo RMS leak...

My 03 Turbo is in the shop for an oil/filter service (done every 5K miles and the car is just less than 200 miles short of having 110K miles on it) and the tech reports the RMS leak is worse. I visited the car this AM and sure enough wet oil is hanging from the lowest points under the engine/tranny and the engine's crankcase bottom is wet with oil from the oil being carried back by the air as the car is driven. The leak is severe enough it is cleansing the area it travels which is one sign the leak is getting bad enough to worry about, make that have fixed.

So, while I could wait another 5K miles the quote is $1600 so I said go ahead if I can have the car back by COB of Friday. I need the car Saturday and Monday for running some important errands with my dad. (He can't get into and out of the Boxster anymore.) If not then I'll have the car in next Tuesday for this work.

I'll try to snap some pics if time permits.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:41 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 307 Likes on 213 Posts

Here are the things that I would replace at a minimum..

Clutch disk (I'd replace your pressure plate) but you are "easy" on the clutch

I'd replace the Throw out bearing..

I'd replace the Throw out bearing bushings (CHEAP >>$4.00)

I'd replace the shaft needle bearings (again cheap)

I'd replace your tranny seal... It would suck to go in twice...

Lastly I would check for maximum movement on your dual mass.. If it's near 20mm I'd replace it. (not cheap)
Old 07-10-2013, 05:07 PM
Macster
Race Director

Thanks for the suggestions. The techs know me well enough to advise me if anything needs doing while they are in there but I submitted the list to the SM just to be sure they get considered.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:44 PM
Macster
Race Director

Default Update, sorta...

Just a small followup: The car is at the dealer. Dropped it off today before work.

The SM says the car should be apart in time from me to swing by Thursday AM and take pics.

RMS getting replaced and anything else the techs believes needs replacing: anything clutch related, CV boots, whatever. I expect nothing else will need doing but we'll see.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:55 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,245 Likes on 1,444 Posts

If you haven't done a clutch then I agree with Kevin have the clutch and the other bits done.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:46 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
The SM says the car should be apart in time from me to swing by Thursday AM and take pics.

RMS getting replaced and anything else the techs believes needs replacing:
was the $1600.00 the cost of labor alone? i'm wondering how many "book" hours they estimate. i have to do this also and i am curious what a dealership charges simply to r&r the rms. thanks.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:25 PM
Macster
Race Director

The $1600 is the quote I received. I think it includes labor and whatever else is needed for just the RMS job. If the tech finds other things that adds to the cost.

I have not seen the actual invoice yet.... the car's not finished. The tech didn't start work until this AM and I do not expect the car to be done until Friday.

Oh, there's a screw in the left rear tire. The road hazard coverage doesn't cover this because the tire is repairable. But the dealer does not repair tires. So Friday before work I'll have to take the wheel/tire over to a local tire store to have the hole plugged.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:38 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

please ( if you don't mind ) if you'd update on the final cost, as it related to the R&R of the rms portion of your invoice? it will be helpful.. thanks again.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:07 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
please ( if you don't mind ) if you'd update on the final cost, as it related to the R&R of the rms portion of your invoice? it will be helpful.. thanks again.
Sure I don't mind. As soon as I have the invoice and the final numbers.

Update: Which won't be until Monday.

Visited the car today -- picked up the rear wheel/tire and had it plugged at a local tire store. Car is not finished. Tech didn't even get the tranny out yet. Other higher priority jobs came in -- among other jobs a couple of used cars need to be prepped for resale -- and the Turbo got back burnered until maybe today or Saturday: The tech said he'd be in Saturday and might work on it. I told him no real rush. I have the Boxster to drive. So I do not expect the car to be ready until Monday at the earliest.

Last edited by Macster; 07-19-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:16 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Tires should not be plugged, it should be patched on the inside with vulcanizing rubber to e fill the hole
Old 07-19-2013, 11:00 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by Macster
Sure I don't mind. As soon as I have the invoice and the final numbers.

Update: Which won't be until Monday.

Visited the car today -- picked up the rear wheel/tire and had it plugged at a local tire store. Car is not finished. Tech didn't even get the tranny out yet. Other higher priority jobs came in -- among other jobs a couple of used cars need to be prepped for resale -- and the Turbo got back burnered until maybe today or Saturday: The tech said he'd be in Saturday and might work on it. I told him no real rush. I have the Boxster to drive. So I do not expect the car to be ready until Monday at the earliest.
plugs suck. but at least you'll squeeze a few more miles out of the rear. though it will always be "gone" in the back of your mind, as you drive.. no?

on a personal note. you can't possibly be nicer to people in real life than you are to strangers in here, so life rep points for you ( note to self ) lol

but wait..you have warranties for... what..tires?!?.. all kiddin aside, g bless ya macster.

yes,..please give us ( me really ) a "dealer" $ figure for that rms, as i'm living vicariously through your dealer visits. as for my 10 y old *****, i can't believe i have to open her up for a seal. rats. talk about things "we" put off. maybe i should i start (ab)using my clutch to make the rms job worthwhile. nah...
Old 07-20-2013, 01:38 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
Tires should not be plugged, it should be patched on the inside with vulcanizing rubber to e fill the hole
You're right and that's the way it was fixed. The Porsche tech looked at the fix and noted it was with a patch from the inside.

To me it looked like a plug fix but he pointed out the patch has a stem on it. The tech preps the inner surface of the tire around the hole and then applies some vulcanizing glue and then applies the patch. The stem fits through the hole and even sticks out some (and to my inexperienced eye looked like a plug fix) but the fix is a patch.

The tech said he'd rebalance the wheel/tire for me.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Sorry but I was wrong. It is not a plug fix to the tire but a patch fitted from the inside of course.

The tire warranty kind of happened without my knowing it. Well, I noticed it when I looked over an invoice for new tires and noticed a small charge ($6 or $7) per tire for "road hazard insurance". I was going to protest but I get some good service and figured I'd leave it be and next time decline the coverage.

But then I got a nail in a tire and the road hazard coverage -- which I forgot about -- paid for a new tire, mounted and balanced. I wanted to take out the invoice out of the filing cabinet and mount it in a gold frame.

Then a tire on the Turbo got a nail. Free tire balanced and mounted, and the tire had around 20K miles on it, too, but with enough tread to qualify for a replacement. Then another tire got a nail in it. The tire road hazard coverage company balked but the SM/parts manager stood up and I got another tire. That few dollars in tire road hazard coverage has paid off many times over.

Nowadays I don't leave the shop with new tires without road hazard coverage.

Quick Reply: Turbo RMS leak...