Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All-Aluminum Radiators

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 01:15 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 347 Posts

will be doing a side-by-side comparison vs. the factory stuff...
I know CSF and myself are both pretty excited about what has come about...

Cheers,
Attached Images  
Old 05-04-2014, 09:59 PM
breakfast
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nice
Old 05-05-2014, 09:55 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

thanks, CSF did a nice job!
Old 05-07-2014, 08:20 PM
CSF Cooling
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts

Good news to everyone who has ordered a set.. All orders have been shipped out.

Rob,

I look forward to your review of our cooling system.. Please keep us all updated!
Old 05-15-2014, 07:30 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

write-up coming soon, working on install right now...it's nice stuff guys...
Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2014, 07:45 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by 993GT
write-up coming soon, working on install right now...it's nice stuff guys...
I'm very much looking forward to your testing, Can you share your "before" data and the conditions it was obtained ie air temp, type of use, track/hi speed etc ?

Many thanks in advance
Old 05-16-2014, 09:42 AM
dprantl
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless he had brand new stock radiators on there before, the comparison will mostly prove that a new radiator cools better than a used one.

Dan
Old 05-16-2014, 10:34 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Thanks Dan, was going to say the exact same thing; coming from beat-up factory original 2003 rads to fresh/new won't show fair data right off the hop.

TB993TT, just want to mention that 100% my main interest in the rads is for sake of durability, I have followed(and loved) your intercooler analysis over the years! Proper data for the win!
I believe that even though we have a number of sub-systems relying on the thermal capacity of the coolant system we have enough cooling capacity as it is(I have no hard data, yet?). CSF claims their B-Tube core technology yields 15% efficiency gains. Aluminum end-tanks should also helps shed heat vs. plastic.
Since GT2's only have 1(passenger side) rad. fans, I believe a simple(yes vague) test will be to watch the gauge when sitting at a stopped idle after a number of consecutive pulls on a hot day; stock radiators creep up 10-20* pretty quick. Will try to measure the drop across the face of the centre(exposed) radiator with my IR temp. gun; might try to extrapolate some capacity data from that.
Soon as I am able to get some proper hard data via datalog or possibly adding thermal probes, I will share...of course if anyone else has data they've collected, please be free to share!

Rob
Old 05-16-2014, 01:36 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Guys, I wasn't considering that the factory ones may be "beat up" - is that really the case, surely as long as they are kept free of debris then they should cool as well (or 95%) as when new ?

The stock rads on my 7GT2 are in good shape and I intend to do a proper test. I have cup centre rad already and have bought the 2 outer CSF ones. I am thinking of getting engine hot then blast to 300kph and comparing temp increase curves as well as critically peak temp. Surely the only way to say they are an "upgrade" is if they lower the temp during this sort (or several track laps) of test compared to stock ?
BTW my oil has definite signs of too much heat so this is an upgrade I need, here's hoping
Old 05-16-2014, 01:52 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

I agree if they are well taken care of, the factory rads should still have near new efficiency. Mine are decent but the previous owners/shops probably rarely cleaned them
Would be awesome if you could grab some data on these!
I have often wondered about the seemingly small engine oil/water cooler on our cars, anyone upgrading/adding the engine oil cooler?
Old 05-16-2014, 02:44 PM
dprantl
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The point is you can't know for sure unless you remove the end tanks and look inside with a magnifying glass. I have seen way too many radiators that looked fine on the outside but had loads of mineral deposits on the inside which robbed the radiators of their efficiency. If you can't know for sure, it is not a controlled experiment and any conclusions you may derive will be suspect. The only good/valid test would be to run with new stock radiators, then switch to the new aluminum ones and try to keep the running parameters as similar as possible.

Dan
Old 05-16-2014, 05:05 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

^good point...also I suggest thoroughly washing out any new rads to avoid any contamination from shipping etc.

All installed, doing a heat-cycle or two before putting bumper on to ensure no leaks/issues...fit great
Old 05-16-2014, 05:48 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 993GT
Thanks Dan, was going to say the exact same thing; coming from beat-up factory original 2003 rads to fresh/new won't show fair data right off the hop.

TB993TT, just want to mention that 100% my main interest in the rads is for sake of durability, I have followed(and loved) your intercooler analysis over the years! Proper data for the win!
I believe that even though we have a number of sub-systems relying on the thermal capacity of the coolant system we have enough cooling capacity as it is(I have no hard data, yet?). CSF claims their B-Tube core technology yields 15% efficiency gains. Aluminum end-tanks should also helps shed heat vs. plastic.
Since GT2's only have 1(passenger side) rad. fans, I believe a simple(yes vague) test will be to watch the gauge when sitting at a stopped idle after a number of consecutive pulls on a hot day; stock radiators creep up 10-20* pretty quick. Will try to measure the drop across the face of the centre(exposed) radiator with my IR temp. gun; might try to extrapolate some capacity data from that.
Soon as I am able to get some proper hard data via datalog or possibly adding thermal probes, I will share...of course if anyone else has data they've collected, please be free to share!

Rob
Do you plan to read the dash coolant gauge, or use a OBDII read of the coolant temp?
Old 05-17-2014, 01:02 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

at the moment relying on the gauge for relative temp. readings....drove it tonight and gauge seems to read 5-10degrees lower than it did before ...will drive again tomorrow to make sure its not a fluke...seeing about 175*F at cruising pace, 185*F at idle right after a bunch of hard pulls...seems to be tons of heat capacity-the ends are virtually at ambient on the 'cold side' of the cores..
Attached Images  
Old 05-17-2014, 06:38 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dprantl
The point is you can't know for sure unless you remove the end tanks and look inside with a magnifying glass. I have seen way too many radiators that looked fine on the outside but had loads of mineral deposits on the inside which robbed the radiators of their efficiency. If you can't know for sure, it is not a controlled experiment and any conclusions you may derive will be suspect. The only good/valid test would be to run with new stock radiators, then switch to the new aluminum ones and try to keep the running parameters as similar as possible.

Dan
I do find it hard to believe that a car rad's efficiency would drop much due to what you describe above, surely there would be maintenance instructions from Porsche if this was the case. I do believe what you say re the deposits but i question that the effect on efficiency is measurable. Like does a 100K mile 13 year old 996GT2 run hotter water temps than one with brand new stock rads ? I can't see it......

A note on the car's dash water temp gauge (as I think paulunm was alluding to) it is not accurate and doesn't measure increases in temperature accurately at all, OBD is the only way to do it.

Quick Reply: All-Aluminum Radiators