Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof delete mod

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2023, 03:48 PM
Schnellmacher
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 23 Posts

Moving along...just need to re-install front & back glass, headliner and interior trim..whew!

The following 6 users liked this post by Schnellmacher:
Carlo_Carrera (10-29-2023), Hellraiser944 (11-06-2023), moburki (10-30-2023), Murphey Parker (10-30-2023), simRen (10-29-2023), TheDeckMan (10-30-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-30-2023, 06:13 PM
Murphey Parker
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the documentation and inspiration!

I am going to do a sunroof delete but short cut and weld in the factory panel… it’s not the right way at the end of the day but I have access to friends with welding and body shop experience and I figure it will get the same results without having to take the glass out. I love the slicktop look and have a dreaded rattle from all areas of the sunroof and rarely use it anyways… loose 35-40 pounds up top + antigravity battery good for about 25-30 = more gt3 like features for my c2!

How many pounds would you estimate you lost going to the factory one piece roof?

For the headliner, I am going to save my old sunroof version as a template and source locally as I’m also covert other trim pieces to black alcantara.
Old 10-30-2023, 06:30 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 248 Posts

Looks great!
Old 10-30-2023, 06:45 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,097 Posts

Originally Posted by Murphey Parker
I love the slicktop look and have a dreaded rattle from all areas of the sunroof and rarely use it anyways… loose 35-40 pounds up top + antigravity battery good for about 25-30 = more gt3 like features for my c2!

How many pounds would you estimate you lost going to the factory one piece roof?

For the headliner, I am going to save my old sunroof version as a template and source locally as I’m also covert other trim pieces to black alcantara.
OEM sunroof to OEM solid roof is a 26 lb weight savings, give or take a few ounces.
Old 10-30-2023, 06:51 PM
Schnellmacher
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Murphey Parker
Thanks for the documentation and inspiration!

I am going to do a sunroof delete but short cut and weld in the factory panel… it’s not the right way at the end of the day but I have access to friends with welding and body shop experience and I figure it will get the same results without having to take the glass out. I love the slicktop look and have a dreaded rattle from all areas of the sunroof and rarely use it anyways… loose 35-40 pounds up top + antigravity battery good for about 25-30 = more gt3 like features for my c2!

It’s not a bad way to go just welding the s/roof panel in, grinding, filling & finishing, but you’ll have to be super careful about warping the roof panel itself and
the only piece you cannot easily remove is the mounting frame which is spot welded to the roof panel as well. If I had it to do over again I’d be really tempted to do it that way, however I need to replace the back glass tint film which will be much easier with the glass out, and both front and back glass weatherstripping need replacing,so ditto there.
The sunroof rail/motor assembly weighs 25lbs, the mounting frame welded to the roof about 5, and the mounting brackets, bolts, 4 drain hoses and their clips about 4lbs, so about 34 lbs total.

Quick Reply: Sunroof delete mod