CV Joint Repair Costs ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 10:22 PM
apw964
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Joint Repair Costs ?

Hi,

I noticed that the out CV joint on the front passenger side has a tear in it. Any idea's how much the repair is? Would you guys get the bearings changed while you were in there?

A
Old 07-01-2013, 09:15 AM
thomapa1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You mean the CV 'Boot' has a tear in it - right? Have not done my 996TT yet, but as a price point - on my older Audi, it was @$300 including parts/labor. A bit of a messy job - happy to pay. Some DIY-ers use a place like Raxels to swap their old axle with a refurbished one...I don't know if they do Porsche.

No need to do wheel bearings unless you currently have a problem with them.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:34 PM
mikewils
Advanced

If it's the boot, I had my indie replace the inner and outer boot on the front passenger side and it was about $225 total.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:57 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

No issues in this area with my Turbo. My Boxster had the CV boots crack/split a year maybe longer ago.

If by bearings you are referring to the CV joints/bearings...

I wanted to replace the half shafts with new ones. Whenever I touched drive shafts of other vehicles I just replaced the CV joints with new ones with new bearings, seals, etc.

However, in the case of my Boxster the tech talked me out of it.

First he pointed out the new half shafts are expensive: $900+ each.

He said as long as the original ones checked out they are good to reuse. Failures of the half shafts are rare, provided the boots are not compromised too long.

So I give him the go-ahead to reuse the original shafts. The tech removes the shafts and cleans the bearings and inspects and finds all are ok. A repack with new boots fitted and job done.

Unfortunately I do not remember how much the job cost. Wasn't scary high, though.

If you are referring to wheel bearings there is no need to replace if the bearing is not noisy and shows no signs of any excessive play or other indications it needs replacing.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:53 PM
apw964
Instructor

I got both boots replaced on the same shaft. $112 dollars for parts, $225 for labor - I live just outside of NYC

Quick Reply: CV Joint Repair Costs ?