Sponsored by:

Track Brake Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 10:24 PM
manzski
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Track Brake Issue

My last 2 track sessions have resulted in my ABS activating about 3/4 through a 20 minute session. 2 of the warning lights come on, I believe the ABS & Brake, but hard to confirm when in the middle of focusing on hard driving. I'm not sure what is going on but the braking I was doing should not have caused the ABS to engage. I know it's not much specific info. But I'm just searching for ideas to begin to asses! Thanks
Old 04-23-2012, 10:56 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There was a thread on brakes and the ring either here or 6so (search on the racing forum and perhaps on rt...).

Please post if a simple fix...thanks!

Jeff
Old 04-23-2012, 11:16 PM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that this is the thread that Jeff is referring to, but it doesn't look to me like the same thing:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...96-turbos.html

The ABS and little triangle thing will flash when PSM kicks in. Could it be that your tires are starting to get greasy?

Jon
Old 04-24-2012, 08:12 AM
rhargy
Rennlist Member

Happened to me all the time using R888's. Tires would be fantastic for about 15-18 minutes and then start to get greasy and set the whole PSM/ABS mad. Turning off and dialing back to about 8/10's let me finish the ride. Moving to R6's with more heat tolerance seems to have resolved that part of the problem.
I've also had the dreaded "ice mode" kick in on really hot days. I spent the winter on a lot of cooling to try and remedy that.
We've got heavy cars that are tough on tires and brakes. have to have a set up that can account for that. 996 ABS is one of the weak points when racing and as soon as I can afford a standalone system it's going in.
Sorry no quick fix that I've ever heard of, although moving up to a tire with better heat tolerance might be a starting point. I run the R6's with no PSM....they have too much grip and send the system squirrely without heat in the equation.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:10 AM
manzski
4th Gear

Thanks for the quick response. Guess I will consider new tires!
Old 04-24-2012, 09:57 AM
Basic
AutoX

One of the lights requires obc acknowledge is from the brake fluid level. This happens all the time in my car from the fluid sloshing. Was thinking of building a small capacitance filter to get rid of it.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:03 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you checked the brake fluid reservoir? I had a brake light come on when my fluid was just a bit low, but that was on a track with high centrifigal force corners.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:55 AM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

My car is incredibly sensitive to fluid level, and the light comes on sometimes on track.

Usually it's because the level is too high. If you fill the reservoir to the tip of the arrow when it's cold, as the fluid heats up and expands, so the level goes up too high and triggers the warning. I now fill to the top of the "X" in "MAX" and do not see the warning light.

Jon
Old 04-24-2012, 10:26 PM
manzski
4th Gear

Brake fluid was flushed & filled to the line before the last track day. Going to check codes Friday & see if we can learn anything.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:57 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dantzig
My car is incredibly sensitive to fluid level, and the light comes on sometimes on track.

Usually it's because the level is too high. If you fill the reservoir to the tip of the arrow when it's cold, as the fluid heats up and expands, so the level goes up too high and triggers the warning. I now fill to the top of the "X" in "MAX" and do not see the warning light.

Jon
THANKS! -> will try to copy your X approach going forward.

jeff
Old 04-25-2012, 07:37 PM
DEjunkie
Rennlist Member

What pads are you running? Wondering if they are outperforming your tires.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:27 PM
Carolie04
8th Gear

There was a thread on brakes and the ring either here or 6so (search on the racing forum and perhaps on rt...).
Old 04-27-2012, 05:59 PM
dacbap
Instructor

Mine always comes on when I really push it in the turns, I run stock size pilot sport cups, PFC's pads with SRF fluid, certain tracks do it more than others but it always seems in the same turns, I figure the computer is warning me or saying go man go!
Old 06-28-2013, 07:40 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Just experience this as well. Just fluid warning. Braking works fine and doesn't do anything funky. My fluid level was above min. So I though it was slushing around and added more fluid and it is above max level. But it still continues to warn me after a few laps every session.

Does it warn you if its at the max level? or just low level. My 996 C4S never had this problem on/off the track and with the 996tt I have never got this warning during regular driving just at the track.

update
After taking out some of the fluid and just having it below max. The problem went away.

Last edited by jumper5836; 06-29-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:26 AM
etchhead
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I got this at tough tracks and my tech attributed it to heat in the fluid. I swapped out from ATE to Motul and tried to be a bit easier on the brakes. Ironically my times went down (Laguna 1:40.8).

Quick Reply: Track Brake Issue