Sponsored by:

Need help figuring out rear spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 12:33 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Pillay
Been a few months since I messed with the wing but I am back to it now. I went through the system. Checked the relays next to the ECU, filled fluid in the rams. I know at least one of the microswitches are bad.

My plan is to replace the microswitches at this point. It looks like either the switches can be replaced or the entire wiring harness for the rear spoiler.

So, my question is: Has anyone replaced just the microswitches? If so, is it a simple splice in of the switches?

I am not sure where all the connections are for the entire harness. Might be easier to do, if, all the connection points are easily accessible. After the summer of digging into the engine bay and laying under the car, I am not too anxious to get too deep in there again.
AFAIK the switches should have a connector and there should be no reason to have to cut/splice any wiring to install a new switch.

But I have not replaced a spoiler switch. So, I would urge you to be sure you have to cut/splice before you do so. You might order/get the new switches in and see if the wiring leads come with connector attached or wiring that just ends with some bare copper showing.

Speaking for myself, I do not like at all modifying the electrical wiring harness of a car unless absolutely necessary.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:41 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would order switch and see what's involved I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard= just go for it lol.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:32 PM
ChemMan
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rmc1148
I would order switch and see what's involved I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard= just go for it lol.
Probably what I will do. I was checking on words of wisdom from my doppel turbo brothers first
Old 10-06-2013, 05:35 PM
zblake
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Worst case a I have gt2 fixed wing in seal gray I could sell you....
Old 10-06-2013, 07:47 PM
ChemMan
Pro

Originally Posted by zblake
I will keep it in mind. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:49 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Pop the switches out and with the car off use an ohm meter on the back of the switches and move the actuatiors. If the you get continuity they are good.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:14 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

OEM?

On topic, I had entire rear wing assembly swapped by dealer when mine was failing/leaking fluid.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:10 PM
Saadi996tt
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just sent you a pm on price and if it's oem.
Thanks,
Saadi
Old 10-20-2013, 05:20 PM
ChemMan
Pro

Replaced the mini switches. I found that they had been replaced before. The wiring of the switches that were in there had been soldered. I knew one of the switches were bad since the small metal piece in the switch would not stay in place.
Unfortunately, it did not work. It looks like the fluid I filled a couple of months ago is leaking out. I applied 12V to the drive motor itself. It runs but will not move the wing. I assume that there is not enough fluid in the system to raise the wing. On the plus side, I have checked all the electricals. I just have to figure out how to seal the hydraulic leak and refill the system. Hopefully that will solve the issue. Most likely, it will be something to deal with in the spring.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:32 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

kudos for your continuing efforts.

do you have a copy of one of the many step by step diy's in here and elsewhere? because if you do? it is critical that the fluid level be exact and even, if not as close as one can be. given you've been able to get this far in your diagnosis ( and imminent ) repair? you are a strong candidate for having it work as designed again. don't give up lol. re-bleed and fill if all else seems operable!.. and again.. GL!

my bud and i had to re-bleed measure/equalize for at least an hour with a 12v source with the stuff all over the decklid! what's that old saying? "if at first?...."

you got this!
Old 10-22-2013, 08:04 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my case the oil pump failed. Switches rarely fail - that's just wishful thinking. The oil pump consists of two parts - hydraulic part and the motor part. In my case the motor part failed. Complete unit is 1500$. However, my local car electrician repaired the motor. He said it wasn't easy but managed to separate the motor from the pump and then rewired the internals. Cost? 100$. So, the good news is that if the motor part fails, competent car electrician should be able to fix it. Good luck.

Ps. Just connect 12V battery straight to the motor. If it doesn't work here is your answer.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:43 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

.... further illustration that these can be repaired, rather than replaced, outright. good on ya simon.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:03 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 163 Likes on 133 Posts

Good info, (motor rewired) thanks for sharing!
Old 10-22-2013, 03:26 PM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jpflip
Good info, (motor rewired) thanks for sharing!
No probs this is why we have this forum.

PS. After the motor repair I had the system bled by my Porsche tech. Could not be arsed to take spoiler off and such. Cost, another 150 bucks.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:50 PM
ChemMan
Pro

Originally Posted by SimonK
In my case the oil pump failed. Switches rarely fail - that's just wishful thinking. The oil pump consists of two parts - hydraulic part and the motor part. In my case the motor part failed. Complete unit is 1500$. However, my local car electrician repaired the motor. He said it wasn't easy but managed to separate the motor from the pump and then rewired the internals. Cost? 100$. So, the good news is that if the motor part fails, competent car electrician should be able to fix it. Good luck.

Ps. Just connect 12V battery straight to the motor. If it doesn't work here is your answer.
I followed the steps in the Porsche diagnostic manual. One switch was bad. The pump does run with 12V on it. At this point, I think it is worth refilling fluid and seeing if it does anything. It might come to replacing the entire unit-considering $1500 for the fix versus the cost of replacing with a GT2 wing or something similar. A replacement wing would likely involving painting. I have sprayed a car before but in this case, I would leave it to the professionals.
In any case, the weather seems to be taking a turn towards the cold. It is getting close to that time of the year when I will be putting the turbo in storage. Unless I get an overwhelming urge to work in the garage in the cold, it will have to wait for a bit.
I will look into the pump itself. From your description, it sounds like the hydraulic portion has been compromised. Outside of replacing the unit, I am not sure what else can be done. There is a local hydraulic shop but my previous dealings with them did not instill me with confidence in them.

Quick Reply: Need help figuring out rear spoiler