Sponsored by:

Spoiler update...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 03:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Spoiler update...

Been really busy with mom and dad -- they're in assisted care now -- but managed to take the Turbo in and get the new spoiler installed.

$400 labor (I think the labor rate is either $150/hour or $160/hour). $1686.87 for the new spoiler hardware (hydraulic system). With misc stuff and sales tax ($150+ and that's before the bill for high speed rail comes due (sigh)) the bill came to around $2200. I have the receipt downstairs in the car but I'm too tired to walk to the car and back and get the thing to quote exact numbers.

Anyhow while I have not had time to drive the car very much at all -- drove it to work today though! -- it is nice to not see that damn message popping up as the spoiler attempts to deploy and accompanied by that damned and irritating alarm and that damn warning on thereafter until the engine is shut off.

Oh and with the new spoiler installed the spoiler fuse is installed back in the fuse box and now the engine compartment electric latch release works again!
Old 05-02-2013, 05:06 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Been really busy with mom and dad -- they're in assisted care now -- but managed to take the Turbo in and get the new spoiler installed.

$400 labor (I think the labor rate is either $150/hour or $160/hour). $1686.87 for the new spoiler hardware (hydraulic system). With misc stuff and sales tax ($150+ and that's before the bill for high speed rail comes due (sigh)) the bill came to around $2200. I have the receipt downstairs in the car but I'm too tired to walk to the car and back and get the thing to quote exact numbers.

Anyhow while I have not had time to drive the car very much at all -- drove it to work today though! -- it is nice to not see that damn message popping up as the spoiler attempts to deploy and accompanied by that damned and irritating alarm and that damn warning on thereafter until the engine is shut off.

Oh and with the new spoiler installed the spoiler fuse is installed back in the fuse box and now the engine compartment electric latch release works again!

You did the right thing Macster!
Old 05-02-2013, 06:12 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow over 2hrs of labor, I replaced my hydraulic system myself, pumps wire harness, rams etc, in less than an hour Its really an easy replacment. Looks like the dealer charges book rates and no tactual. Oh well enjoy it.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:45 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 158 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster

Hi Macster

Well done.
Can you post some pics when you get a chance.
Regards
James
Old 05-02-2013, 06:47 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

That wasn't that bad of a hit.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:22 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by James88
Hi Macster

Well done.
Can you post some pics when you get a chance.
Regards
James
Really not much to see. The last time the spoiler deployed it went up crooked. As soon as it came down (straightened out) I pulled the fuse. I never snapped a pic of this. I wanted to avoid having the spoiler go up any at all for fear it might damage the body somehow so I never bothered to raise the thing manually.

While I snapped some pics of the new one on the parts counter and the old one on the tech's work bench save the old one being a bit dirty from the leaks and dust they look alike.

I'll see if I can find the time to download the pics from my camera and upload the pics to pic hosting site and post links to said pics.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:40 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Glad you're happy and got it fixed.

Want to get rid of your old unit? I'd be interested to see if I could salvage some parts I need out of your pump assy. Some plastic parts in mine broke that if you could buy them would likely cost $5-$10 but they don't offer them individually. I contacted the mfg. in Germany and they said it's proprietary. I have a hard time spending close to $2K for a <$10 part. I'd like to get mine fixed and DIY. (myself)
Old 05-02-2013, 11:09 PM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by nick49
Want to get rid of your old unit? I'd be interested to see if I could salvage some parts I need out of your pump assy. Some plastic parts in mine broke that if you could buy them would likely cost $5-$10 but they don't offer them individually. I contacted the mfg. in Germany and they said it's proprietary. I have a hard time spending close to $2K for a <$10 part. I'd like to get mine fixed and DIY. (myself)
Nick, pm sent
Old 05-02-2013, 11:34 PM
clorigo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No affiliation and I have not tried (yet) but this guy rebuilds much cheaper. Sorry I just found this or I'd have posted earlier. Hopefully this link will be helpful to some!

http://cabriolethydraulics.com/index.php
Old 05-03-2013, 10:36 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by nick49
Glad you're happy and got it fixed.

I didn't save the old hardware. The tech had it for me to look at on his bench but I have no room to store that kind of stuff and I had him bin it when I had looked it over.

The individual parts (13 or 19) are available separately, at least the parts are shown separate and with their own part number.

Also, one could probably find suitable parts -- washers, seals, etc. -- from a good industrial supply. Grainger maybe?

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/start.shtml
Old 05-03-2013, 10:44 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
Wow over 2hrs of labor, I replaced my hydraulic system myself, pumps wire harness, rams etc, in less than an hour Its really an easy replacment. Looks like the dealer charges book rates and no tactual. Oh well enjoy it.
Less than one hour...

Let's see... 10 or so minutes talking to the service manager working out when I could bring the car in.

There was me stopping at the dealer and dropping off the Turbo key and taking care of some paperwork.

The service manager caught a shuttle to my house and picked up my car and brought it back it back to the dealer.

The parts were ordered after a consultation with the tech on what was needed. He confirmed the spoiler was bad and it was not some mechanical binding or other problem.

Someone received the part, checked it to make sure it was the right one.

The spoiler hardware was removed and the new hardware installed.

The new spoiler hardware was tested to ensure it was working properly and there were no other problems like a limit switch, etc.

During the time the car was in the shop I exchanged an email or two with the SM about the status of the car.

After the repair the car was washed and vacuumed.

The car was then road tested by the tech.

I arrived and the tech spent around 15 minutes with me going over what he had done, showing me the old unit, pointing out some items/things of interest.

I then drove the Turbo home with a shuttle driver following me to bring me back then to the dealer and my second car.

All of the above in less than an hour, eh?

Impressive. You're in the wrong business. Open a Porsche repair shop.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:42 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Heres where you are not following, if you do it yourself you don't need to talk to the serive manager, you don't need to drop the car off, you don't need to catch the shuttle, my cars are always maitained so no need to wash and vacuum, no need to go over it with someone since the work was done diy, no need to get shuttled back and forth.

So yes the repair was less than an hour! Next time it happens let me know and I'll save you quit a bit of money, and you don't have to get shuttled. do it at your house!

I guess you couldn't resist your flippant answer!

Last edited by Kevinmacd; 05-06-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:25 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

the irony is that a diy ( or an indie tech with no known propensity for buggery ) could have fixed an uneven spoiler deployment issue with some lucas stop leak, a work bench, and some "know how" in as little as an hour. two hours tops, and only if beer is involved.

the other option of course is to have the porsche dealership pick you up, replace the entire spoiler pump/rams and all..

and then give you good walkaround the car for your 2 grand. then there's something in the middle. like figuring out which parts are actually failing or if the rams are just low on fluid, and making a decision then, as to what's needed to repair. porsche just replaces stuff, which is fine while under warranty. but only then. i suppose macster's method is fine if you have no issue with spending a cpl grand for a *potentially* $100 fix. my lack of warranty has made me a bit more *resourceful* when it comes to 996t repairs.. at least on MY dime.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:56 AM
Macster
Race Director

I spoke with the tech about fixing the spoiler. He said he and other techs where he used to work when the Turbo first came out tried to fix the system.

It took time to do it right at least on the bench, but back in service there were comebacks which is doubly bad.

One of course is the work has to be done again and generally the unit replaced which costs someone some serious money and then the fact the customer had to come back for what he believed was the same problem just adds insult to injury.

Some seals in the system are one time seals, not to be reused.

So, the unit gets buttoned up and tested and found needing balancing. So the seals have to be opened up and then replaced. Every time.

While you DIY'ers brag about fixing the spoiler using bailing wire and bubble gum with help from a large hammer in under 1 hour we do not hear the rest of the story...the thing leaks or acts up. I mean you said it: "for a *potentially" $100 fix".

(Car repair stories are like fishing stories.. every fish story telling the fish gets bigger and every car repair telling the repair time gets shorter...)

Regardless, if the fix sticks good for you.

At this time in my life I do not have the time or the place to work on my car. If you want to spend time working on your car fine. I do not. I have more important things to do with my time.

Wait until you get to care for 2 very elderly parents. Even though they are in assisted care (at $6K/month) after spending nearly a month in the hospital and skilled nursing facility there is a ton of things to do in my "spare time" (remember I have a full time/demanding job that requires my full attention): bills to pay; banking; dealing with Social Security, Medicare, and medical insurance companies; a never-ending stream of forms to fill out; estate sales to set up and houses to dispose of; doctor appointments; shopping for their personal needs; and dealing with two people who do not feel well at all and are getting very close to the end of their lives and are scared of what the future holds for them.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:34 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

macster i hear you loud and clear. i had my mother live with me for yrs until the alzheimers req. putting her in a secure facility. add a full time job and life in general theres no time to even breathe.
congrats to you for being there for your parents it shows me there are still moralistic folks in this country!!
until people deal with the huge task you have freely chosen to take on its hard to understand.

sorry off my soapbox!

Quick Reply: Spoiler update...