Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question regarding upgrading turbos, exhaust, tune etc....

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 10:49 AM
ChemMan
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Question regarding upgrading turbos, exhaust, tune etc....

I cannot do everything at once so my questions are about the best order to go about things. I guess I am picking your minds and looking for advice.

First, it seems like the ecu flash should be last thing to do to accommodate the turbos and exhaust....is this correct? It would not make sense to pay for tuning, upgrade and then pay for a second flash.
Given that, do k24 turbo's require a flash in order to function properly? If it does, the upgrade order would be:
1.exhaust
2.k24's
3. tune

If the turbo's do not need the tuning:
1. k24
2. exhaust
3. tune

I am also assuming that k24's are a bolt in. Right????

Thanks in advance
Old 04-21-2013, 02:33 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 323 Likes on 222 Posts

You can bolt on a set of K24's.. However, without a tune the performance would be a little less than what you have with the K16's (power under the curve) since you will be losing some torque due to the lag that is built into the larger turbine K24's.. The ECU will limit the boost to stock levels.

The largest power gains are going to come from tuning. I would try to find a Rennlister with a X50 car to drive/ride. Your driving styles have to adjust to the lag with the K24's. Lately there are a lot of new owners that have purchased X50 cars, getting rid of the lag threshold is the most requested question. To do this you need an tune, exhaust, and wastegate kit. The lag is managed but not equal to K16's or hybrid turbochargers.

I have K16/24's hybrid kits with tuning for $3K.. Find out what you want for power and try to find a car/Rennlister to see if that is what you have in mind.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:16 PM
ChemMan
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Kevin

Quick Reply: Question regarding upgrading turbos, exhaust, tune etc....