Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Milestone for our 996T track rats.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 01:03 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Milestone for our 996T track rats.

I’m always a bit bummed out when I read that our 996 T community members believe our turbo’s are slow at the track. Now I don’t have that much track experience with my turbo, about a dozen or less track days on my turbo. I also do not have loads of horsepower like a lot of people here. I only have an exhaust which I did not have for this track day at laguna seca because of sound, but now that it has been slightly modified, I will be using it next time. My other horsepower mod is a ecu flash from UMW. When I spoke to Kevin a few years ago, I asked him if his flash can make my power linear vs loads of tq like some people asked, he stated he could. Since then I have focused on aero and suspension. Where I think most people should focus on but horsepower sometimes clutter’s peoples mind. My main goal has been to make the car a dual purpose vehicle. Very fast at the track and DD that I can drive to the Sierra’s with the misses if I wanted, reliable, and looking stock. I only have two mods left before I call it quits with this car, and probably jump ship to and use another car.

That said, I’m glad I have been able to represent the 996T community well at the track the few times I have been there. I’m new at using this Harry’s lap timer thing, and I just found out last night that this Application can add up my best sectors 1, 2 and 3 at laguna seca, and it states if I had a clean lap without traffic or driver errors, my turbo could manage a 1:35.14 . To put that in perspective, that is faster than a GT2RS drive by a professional race car driver, Johannes van Overbeek, which is a 1.35.5. and faster than a Ferrari 458 (http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna_seca.html)

So even though we don’t have a ¼ million dollar car, it can still get the job done like one, with less power, so no need to think that our cars are old and slow compare to the latest and greatest. I’m just glad I’m always able to represent our community well at the events I participate, and give feedback to people whom want to build a fast car around the bends too.

Now time for me to focus on those two last mods, and improve as a driver, so I can get that lap to make the car a sub 1:35 time !

Old 04-04-2013, 01:10 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

that is awesome...however something doesn't sound right....I don;t think you would be able to drive faster than a pro in a gt2rs. could the conditions explain this (ie gt2 was in rain) no offense btw. Curious what tires and brakes you are using?
glad you are enjoying your car and look forward to one day driving Laguna Seca. Can you post video? are you using harry's to video as well?
Old 04-04-2013, 01:20 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Originally Posted by Turbodan
that is awesome...however something doesn't sound right....I don;t think you would be able to drive faster than a pro in a gt2rs. could the conditions explain this (ie gt2 was in rain) no offense btw. Curious what tires and brakes you are using?
glad you are enjoying your car and look forward to one day driving Laguna Seca. Can you post video? are you using harry's to video as well?

No rain for the GT2rs

I'm using Pfc brake pads....I'm not that good using this harry lap timer thing, this was my first time...
I lost a lot of footage because apparently you need to convert the video on the phone, to overlay the data, and i had to delete sessions as i ran out of space on my phone...and in another session, if you close the screen, it kills the application as well... yes newbs mistake... i was so upset at my self for not reading how this app works.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

I haven't watched the video yet but if you are faster than a pro in a gt2rs...have you considered going pro?
thank you for posting
Old 04-04-2013, 02:07 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Dan, he said in other thread has his 996tt weight down to 31xx lbs. With aero bits. With the tune he got at least 470hp on tap.

With 18" PS cups, they have more grip then 19" N rated GT2RS PS cups. That's if he not running hosiers.

996tt can be very fast, even stock on the right tire and brake pad.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:16 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Dan, he said in other thread has his 996tt weight down to 31xx lbs. With aero bits. With the tune he got at least 470hp on tap.

With 18" PS cups, they have more grip then 19" N rated GT2RS PS cups. That's if he not running hosiers.

996tt can be very fast, even stock on the right tire and brake pad.
That is correct but she looks nearly stock. With my exhaust I put down 427whp and 500 wtq but I did not have the exhaust on at LS so, I would say 380whp without exhaust. Plus I had the extra 45lbs of weight at LS because of stock exhaust.... I'm going to see if i can get 2 pc rotors... lose about 20 lbs of unsprung weight, and work on my front splitter to make it more efficient. With those two mods, and improving my driving , I'm convince I can hit my goal of 1:33's ..

Foremost, I need to keep improving myself as a driver .

Old 04-04-2013, 02:16 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

I am at 3385 lbs stock now with the spare removed and full tank of gas/fluids. Planning to do the same like you. Have a DD but more track worthy. My 996 has the chip, suspension but needs GT3 seats, maybe a lighter exhaust and cats and a carbon fixed wing so I can remove the heavy stock wing and rear wiper.

I'd be happy getting it in the 32xx range.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:21 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
That is correct but she looks nearly stock. With my exhaust I put down 427whp and 500 wtq but I did not have the exhaust on at LS so, I would say 380whp without exhaust. Plus I had the extra 45lbs of weight at LS because of stock exhaust.... I'm going to see if i can get 2 pc rotors... lose about 20 lbs of unsprung weight, and work on my front splitter to make it more efficient. With those two mods, and improving my driving , I'm convince I can hit my goal of 1:33's ..

Foremost, I need to keep improving myself as a driver .
427whp sounds right. 10% loss and you got 470 hp at crank.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:24 PM
RangerDick
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Enrique, 1:38 is still a great time. Great to have a goal in mind. I'm going to weekends off in the later part of April and early May if you want to get together and try out the durametric. PM me if you have some time.

BTW, found this on the Wikipedia site. Who say's 996TT's are slow, an over 10 year old car still capable of keeping up?:

Motor Trend uses Laguna Seca as a benchmark in much the same way Car and Driver had used Virginia International Raceway in recent years. The track was the site of their "America's Best Handling Car" and "Best Driver's Car" comparisons. In total, over 30 street legal cars have set laps on the track in the hands of Motor Trend. The 2014 SRT Viper TA is the current leader, with a lap time of 1:33.620.[8]

Last edited by RangerDick; 04-04-2013 at 10:53 PM. Reason: addl information
Old 04-04-2013, 09:47 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Back in 2004 my Turbo did a 1:33 at Laguna. Zippy?
Old 04-05-2013, 02:18 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Cool video. Great track and great driving. That viper has got a lot of power in front!
I thought from your post that you only had 15 days track experience at all not just in the turbo.
Good luck with the laptime, seems reasonable.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:00 PM
laturbo
Intermediate

Great driving, I really enjoyed your vid. What company did you do the track day with? Also your track time was with traffic which is even more impressive!!!
Old 04-06-2013, 12:20 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Originally Posted by jumper5836
427whp sounds right. 10% loss and you got 470 hp at crank.

I'm trying to get the weight down a bit more. Doing 2 pc rotors. That is really the last bit of weight savings i'm willing to do. I do not want to take off the rear seat belts or the sunroof. :/

2 pc rotors front and rear will net save 25'bs so I will be at 3161 lbs.

Originally Posted by RangerDick
Hey Enrique, 1:38 is still a great time. Great to have a goal in mind. I'm going to weekends off in the later part of April and early May if you want to get together and try out the durametric. PM me if you have some time.

BTW, found this on the Wikipedia site. Who say's 996TT's are slow, an over 10 year old car still capable of keeping up?:

Motor Trend uses Laguna Seca as a benchmark in much the same way Car and Driver had used Virginia International Raceway in recent years. The track was the site of their "America's Best Handling Car" and "Best Driver's Car" comparisons. In total, over 30 street legal cars have set laps on the track in the hands of Motor Trend. The 2014 SRT Viper TA is the current leader, with a lap time of 1:33.620.[8]

Hey Matt, thanks a lot, I'm still looking forward in meeting you ! The GT3 crowed always says it and even some 996 T owners then cave into it... because they have the wrong setup on their cars. A lot of misinformation on how to setup a 996 T to be track capable and street friendly !

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
Back in 2004 my Turbo did a 1:33 at Laguna. Zippy?
That is awesome, I'm trying to get to that 1:33 mark myself

Originally Posted by Turbodan
Cool video. Great track and great driving. That viper has got a lot of power in front!
I thought from your post that you only had 15 days track experience at all not just in the turbo.
Good luck with the laptime, seems reasonable.

Thank you! Yes that viper had a lot of grunt. Only way I could catch / stay even was under braking or cornering.

In terms of cars, I have no more then 30 track days under my belt In Karts I have quiet some

Originally Posted by laturbo
Great driving, I really enjoyed your vid. What company did you do the track day with? Also your track time was with traffic which is even more impressive!!!
thank you sir ! Yes traffic every session, hence no clean lap, but this henry lap timer got my best sectors ( probably the ones with no traffic) and said i should be able to squeeze a 1.35.1 which i'm very happy!

I did this track day with NCRC.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:31 AM
Silberwolfen
Racer

Great vids...nice job.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:59 AM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

rear seat delete will get you about 22 lbs. wiper removal another 3 lbs. rwd conversion will get you 70 lbs , but you know that already!

voltphreaks battery weighs 5 lbs so another 40 lbs or so there

Quick Reply: Milestone for our 996T track rats.