Sponsored by:

Weirdo Clutchi Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 12:02 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Weirdo Clutchi Issue

Ever since I got my car (even before I put the UMW tune in), if you revved the car very hard, you can feel a vibration in the bottom of your foot on the pedal...I don't recall that on my other 996's. Any idea what causes that?

I have the stock clutch and it's relatively new (call it 10k miles).

Last edited by CincyScott; 03-13-2013 at 12:04 PM. Reason: moved to a new thread
Old 03-13-2013, 12:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyScott
Ever since I got my car (even before I put the UMW tune in), if you revved the car very hard, you can feel a vibration in the bottom of your foot on the pedal...I don't recall that on my other 996's. Any idea what causes that?

I have the stock clutch and it's relatively new (call it 10k miles).
Which pedal? The gas pedal or clutch pedal?

If gas pedal the vibration could be from the dual mass flywheel. Part of its job is to act as a vibration dampener and if the FW is going bad an early sign could be vibration especially in neutral.

If the clutch pedal the only time I've felt any vibration through the clutch pedal is when the clutch accumulator was bad and what I was feeling was the pulsing of the pump.

'course it could be something else too. A FW with a marginal balance; a clutch package with a marginal balance maybe due to a piece of friction material missing; engine/tranny mounts; are a few of the possible explanations that come to mind.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:52 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my clutch accumulator failed, I only noticed because (for some reason) it caused vibration through the clutch pedal. I didn't have to rev hard though - it was fine at idle, but happened above 1500rpm.

I have no idea why it caused vibration, but when it went back to the dealer for diagnosis they said the accumulator had failed. They replaced that and the slave, and the problem went away.

Odd, but might be worth you checking.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:15 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DaveK
When my clutch accumulator failed, I only noticed because (for some reason) it caused vibration through the clutch pedal. I didn't have to rev hard though - it was fine at idle, but happened above 1500rpm.

I have no idea why it caused vibration, but when it went back to the dealer for diagnosis they said the accumulator had failed. They replaced that and the slave, and the problem went away.

Odd, but might be worth you checking.
My accumulator is definitely original, and about every 10th start, it's hard to push....guess it's another sign of pending doom!

Thanks for the insight.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:36 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

I would replace the power steering reservior, slave cylinder AND accumulator.. All at once.. You might as well toss in a new clutch and turbochargers! Right (smile)...
Old 03-13-2013, 08:57 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin
I would replace the power steering reservior, slave cylinder AND accumulator.. All at once.. You might as well toss in a new clutch and turbochargers! Right (smile)...
Know anybody that does custom turbocharger work? I keep hearing about this dude named Karl or something like that in Washington...
Old 03-15-2013, 03:46 PM
Silberwolfen
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck Scott. I get my 996 back next week. It's been with the tuner for the last 30 days getting all of the service work done and minor bugs fixed. Hopefully all of these work will last me the next 5 years.

Quick Reply: Weirdo Clutchi Issue