Engine continues revs after clutch disengaged

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 02:34 PM
dubhov
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine continues revs after clutch disengaged

Hi all!

I didn't want to spam ALL the P-car forums looking for help, but I'm about at that point... I posted this on 6speed already, and no one's had a similar issues, only hunches...so I'm hoping someone can help, or at least offer some more ideas.

Here's the post verbatim:

"Has anyone had a problem where, while up-shifting through gears, the engine tachs up a little more after the clutch is disengaged? So:

-Clutch in
-Engine revs a little more
-Next gear

Any ideas? A forum search didn't yield much. A google search hints at either the throttle open/close timing being too slow, or maybe the diverter valve not working right and forcing the leftover boost against the throttle plate. "

---

I'm ordering 2 new AP DVs and an F-hose, and I made an attempt at cleaning the throttle body last night. (I'm pretty green, and didn't have the right tools...I do now and will be doing the cleaning this weekend when I get time). I'm leaning towards the DV(s) not releasing as they should, and extra boost forcing the butterfly plate on the TB open...
Old 03-12-2013, 02:42 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 215 Posts

1) What mods does your car have? Stock clutch or?

2) Have you pressurized your intake system?
Old 03-12-2013, 03:04 PM
dubhov
AutoX

Originally Posted by Kevin
1) What mods does your car have? Stock clutch or?

2) Have you pressurized your intake system?
1.) I have a tune (I don't know what kind...didn't ask). No other mods, and stock clutch. I'm less suspicious of the tune because it did this before it as well. It's exacerbated by higher boost, so it did it under high throttle when stock as well; it's just more prevalent now since I'm always on higher boost.

2.) Nope
Old 03-12-2013, 03:26 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bet is stock clutch is slipping. Happened to me after my flash.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:30 PM
dubhov
AutoX

Originally Posted by 993c2cab
My bet is stock clutch is slipping. Happened to me after my flash.
That was the other (more expensive ) thing I was leaning towards too...I can't fathom how that would cause revs to happen after I've already disengaged the clutch though. Some sort of e-gas issue tied to clutch [dis]engagement?
Old 03-12-2013, 04:56 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could be as simple as your timing between engaging the clutch and getting your foot off the gas is a little off, and you are still on the throttle a bit when the clutch disengages.

Hard to say without more information, but it would cost nothing to eliminate that as the cause. Just lift your right foot a little earlier.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:41 PM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

or the dual mass flywheel pulling the rpms higher after clutch engaged, assuming rpms were climbing at point of clutch disengagement
Old 03-12-2013, 06:44 PM
dubhov
AutoX

Originally Posted by SSST
It could be as simple as your timing between engaging the clutch and getting your foot off the gas is a little off, and you are still on the throttle a bit when the clutch disengages.

Hard to say without more information, but it would cost nothing to eliminate that as the cause. Just lift your right foot a little earlier.
I wish it was as simple as this one...I'm 100% off the throttle though. It really messes with your muscle memory when you're expecting the rpms to be lower.

Originally Posted by fly2low
or the dual mass flywheel pulling the rpms higher after clutch engaged, assuming rpms were climbing at point of clutch disengagement
This one intrigues me...what would be the fix to this? Lower the power from the tune? If I go WOT, reach near-redline, then don't shift and let the RPMs drop, I don't see this same extra rev, so you might be onto something...that or the clutch slipping idea suggested earlier.

Last edited by dubhov; 03-12-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:37 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 340 Likes on 209 Posts

I am not familiar with the 996 TT throttle body. Is it cable driven?
It could be sticky throttle body...it happens in other cars...don't know about the TT...
Old 03-12-2013, 08:50 PM
dubhov
AutoX

Originally Posted by neanicu
I am not familiar with the 996 TT throttle body. Is it cable driven?
It could be sticky throttle body...it happens in other cars...don't know about the TT...
It's drive-by-wire...first thing I'm gonna do is clean the TB (when I get a chance to).
Old 03-12-2013, 10:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by dubhov
Hi all!

I didn't want to spam ALL the P-car forums looking for help, but I'm about at that point... I posted this on 6speed already, and no one's had a similar issues, only hunches...so I'm hoping someone can help, or at least offer some more ideas.

Here's the post verbatim:

"Has anyone had a problem where, while up-shifting through gears, the engine tachs up a little more after the clutch is disengaged? So:

-Clutch in
-Engine revs a little more
-Next gear

Any ideas? A forum search didn't yield much. A google search hints at either the throttle open/close timing being too slow, or maybe the diverter valve not working right and forcing the leftover boost against the throttle plate. "

---

I'm ordering 2 new AP DVs and an F-hose, and I made an attempt at cleaning the throttle body last night. (I'm pretty green, and didn't have the right tools...I do now and will be doing the cleaning this weekend when I get time). I'm leaning towards the DV(s) not releasing as they should, and extra boost forcing the butterfly plate on the TB open...
The tach lags.

My WAG is you come off the throttle and the engine rpms stop rising and in fact should drop (the FW can't increase engine speed) and the tach's reading goes up a bit as it gets the next packet of RPM data over the CAN bus.

In some cars, I have not noticed this in my Turbo or Boxster, but it was very obvious with my '96 Mustang GT, there is a delay in the throttle closing when taking one's foot off the gas pedal.

This is to help emissions (and there may be some other reason but I can't think off hand what it would be) by holding the throttle open/closing a bit slower than it would otherwise.

The Mustang has a very nice overrun sound to it do to this.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:41 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I friend of mine had the same, or very similar, issue with his bone stock car after he got a UMW tune. The rpms would just hang there forever after coming off the throttle and pressing in the clutch. It turned out that the tune he got was one set up for a lwfw instead a dmfw. They sent him a dual mass flywheel tune, if I understood him correctly, and that took care of it.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:11 AM
dubhov
AutoX

Originally Posted by Macster
The tach lags.

My WAG is you come off the throttle and the engine rpms stop rising and in fact should drop (the FW can't increase engine speed) and the tach's reading goes up a bit as it gets the next packet of RPM data over the CAN bus.

In some cars, I have not noticed this in my Turbo or Boxster, but it was very obvious with my '96 Mustang GT, there is a delay in the throttle closing when taking one's foot off the gas pedal.

This is to help emissions (and there may be some other reason but I can't think off hand what it would be) by holding the throttle open/closing a bit slower than it would otherwise.

The Mustang has a very nice overrun sound to it do to this.
I did see some posts from other car forums about how this was included in their OEM setups and how they can get rid of it with a tune. Nothing about it ever happening on any Porsches though...mostly Japanese cars.

Originally Posted by powdrhound
I friend of mine had the same, or very similar, issue with his bone stock car after he got a UMW tune. The rpms would just hang there forever after coming off the throttle and pressing in the clutch. It turned out that the tune he got was one set up for a lwfw instead a dmfw. They sent him a dual mass flywheel tune, if I understood him correctly, and that took care of it.
If it is tune related, I'll probably find out tomorrow. Going in to my mechanic (also guy who tuned it) and he's going to data-log while we go for a ride. Fingers crossed....thanks for the input guys.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:03 AM
Bates
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 03-13-2013, 12:02 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Weirdo clutch issue

Ever since I got my car (even before I put the UMW tune in), if you revved the car very hard, you can feel a vibration in the bottom of your foot on the pedal...I don't recall that on my other 996's. Any idea what causes that?

I have the stock clutch and it's relatively new (call it 10k miles).

Quick Reply: Engine continues revs after clutch disengaged