Sponsored by:

Numeric Adjustable Ball Bearing SSK

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 09:53 AM
Silberwolfen
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Misplacedyankee
Who has installed the Numeric Adjustable Ball Bearing Short Throw Shifter? Curious what this group thinks. See link below:

http://www.numericracing.com/Products.php

Looks like a work of art. I want something that helps the 2-3rd shift under full load. I consider myself a good driver/shifter and haven't grinded a gear in decades yet I have done so 3 times in the last 30 days only on 2nd-3rd shifts when pushing the TT (which is new to me). Car only has 10K miles and just had it at dealer for full review with zero issues found. I have no issues under regular shifting with any of the gears - works perfectly. I did a search on it and this is said to make that better and there is a post on it on the 997 BB, but nobody there has any issues shifting to care. I almost did the GT3 shifter group buy, but held off and might go this direction instead - that said its about 2x the cost.

Thoughts or experiences? Looks like its newer to the market?

TIA
Just like with other mods here....I just went through all of this.

My choice came down to the GT3 997 shifter and the Numeric---both exceptional units. I prefer a smooth "buttery" feel to an ultra-precise notchy shifter. But, you will be 100% on the right track with either shifter.

The 2nd to 3rd shift will be present regardless of the shifter you choose. It's just a matter of to what degree. It's mostly because you are trying to go "straight" or "diagonally" from 2nd to 3rd as Dock said. You need to learn to do a subtle 2-stage shift in which you pop it out of second and let the shifter settle (in its natural position) between 3rd and 4th....then shift up into 3rd. The springs in the shifter naturally come to rest in neutral between 3rd and 4th. It will return there by design anytime you shift into neutral. So...with that being said...work on a smooth 2-stage shift as you would if you were using an old Ferrari gate-shifter. The GT3 or the Numeric will make the 2-stage shift much less dramatic...but you still can't slam it from 2nd to 3rd like you would in a Corvette. There's a bit of an art to it and a better shifter will help.

But....just a word of warning...there are some short-shifter kits that will make the problem worse. I've seen this on two 996T and experienced it for myself when I got in their cars. Some can be so notchy that the driving experience can suffer. I can't speak for others but the GT3 and the Numeric are both solid units. You can't do wrong with either.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:00 AM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Silberwolfen

Just like with other mods here....I just went through all of this.

My choice came down to the GT3 997 shifter and the Numeric---both exceptional units. I prefer a smooth "buttery" feel to an ultra-precise notchy shifter. But, you will be 100% on the right track with either shifter.

The 2nd to 3rd shift will be present regardless of the shifter you choose. It's just a matter of to what degree. It's mostly because you are trying to go "straight" or "diagonally" from 2nd to 3rd as Dock said. You need to learn to do a subtle 2-stage shift in which you pop it out of second and let the shifter settle (in its natural position) between 3rd and 4th....then shift up into 3rd. The springs in the shifter naturally come to rest in neutral between 3rd and 4th. It will return there by design anytime you shift into neutral. So...with that being said...work on a smooth 2-stage shift as you would if you were using an old Ferrari gate-shifter. The GT3 or the Numeric will make the 2-stage shift much less dramatic...but you still can't slam it from 2nd to 3rd like you would in a Corvette. There's a bit of an art to it and a better shifter will help.

But....just a word of warning...there are some short-shifter kits that will make the problem worse. I've seen this on two 996T and experienced it for myself when I got in their cars. Some can be so notchy that the driving experience can suffer. I can't speak for others but the GT3 and the Numeric are both solid units. You can't do wrong with either.
have to disagree with you on this. i can bang the numeric as hard as i can during a 1/4 mile run and it never blinks. i had it set to the shortest setting at first and it did feel a bit notchy. moved it to the middle and its the best shifter i have ever had. no play at all and butter smooth in every gear. the only thing that i see that could improve this setup is adding the numeric cables
Old 03-25-2013, 11:31 AM
Silberwolfen
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did not know that about the Numeric as I must have played with one on the lower setting. It must all be in the adjustment. It did seem a little notchy to me when at rest. But as you said...probably the settings. The GT3 is a bit more loose. It still hangs a little during sloppy 2nd to 3rd shifts, but it is greatly reduced an minimal most of the time.

I guess the feel of the car during shift can all be affected by shifter choice, state of the shift cables, and the transmission mounts. If there is a bad mount the tranny can move around under load. Sounds like your car is dialed in perfectly.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:56 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I did not know that about the Numeric as I must have played with one on the lower setting. It must all be in the adjustment. It did seem a little notchy to me when at rest. But as you said...probably the settings. The GT3 is a bit more loose. It still hangs a little during sloppy 2nd to 3rd shifts, but it is greatly reduced an minimal most of the time.

I guess the feel of the car during shift can all be affected by shifter choice, state of the shift cables, and the transmission mounts. If there is a bad mount the tranny can move around under load. Sounds like your car is dialed in perfectly.
agreed. during a long mod session i found the tranny mount broken and repaired it. i also swapped to the torque solution motor mounts and it has made a huge difference. the lowest setting is a handful. really short throws. the mid throw for me is perfect
Old 03-25-2013, 06:30 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I find these threads funny.
How hard can it be to shift ?

I was strapped this weekend to a race car, i have never driven in my life with hans/6 point/ ... can't see the shifter for jack ****( I just know where the **** is and where my hand needs to be. Its a POS car. Sloppy shifting. I NEVER miss shifted nor a problem finding a gear. Heal toe perfect since pit out... cmon people.

Seriously, how hard can it be to shift ?

Try an open wheel race car, where your arm hits the body chassi.and gears are mm apart, not that is harder yet no bitching from me, just get in and drive the **** out of it.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:28 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

what he ^ said...
Old 03-25-2013, 10:29 PM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
I find these threads funny.
How hard can it be to shift ?

I was strapped this weekend to a race car, i have never driven in my life with hans/6 point/ ... can't see the shifter for jack ****( I just know where the **** is and where my hand needs to be. Its a POS car. Sloppy shifting. I NEVER miss shifted nor a problem finding a gear. Heal toe perfect since pit out... cmon people.

Seriously, how hard can it be to shift ?

Try an open wheel race car, where your arm hits the body chassi.and gears are mm apart, not that is harder yet no bitching from me, just get in and drive the **** out of it.
I have raced cars for many years. For some reason I am having an issue from 2nd and 3rd on my TT. Haven't missed a shift in any other car race or otherwise in as many years as I can remember. Guess I forgot how to drive.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:20 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget motor mounts. The crispness of the shifter improved dramatically when I replaced the worn stock mounts with the X73 mounts.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:22 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

I have raced cars for many years. For some reason I am having an issue from 2nd and 3rd on my TT. Haven't missed a shift in any other car race or otherwise in as many years as I can remember. Guess I forgot how to drive.
If you have "raced for many years" you would know there is nothing wrong with the shifter per your OP. You would go check out your motor mounts, and transmission mounts. As that's what a racer would ask his pit crew to take a look " theirs a lot of flex on the drive train under WOT at high rpms " since there is no issue crusing around.. get yourself semi solid or solid motor mounts like myself, and get your self a 997 tranny mount or a semi solid tranny mount and your problem will go away. No need to for a ssk.

I have driven 996's and 997's with
stock 996 996ssk 997 997 ssk 997 gt3 kit.. never had an issue with the "shifter" ..

I personally have a 997ssk. I was the first to give it a try in the 996t community and i like it. My very good friend got the 997 from a gt3 on his turbo, its good too( I have also driven with the b&m on another car thats good to). I have no problem shifting with any of them. Or downshifting mid turn for ****s and giggles to test how perfect i can do a heal toe without disturbing the balance of the car

Last edited by F1CrazyDriver; 03-26-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:27 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,704 Likes on 993 Posts

I have a properly installed and adjusted 997SSK along with the Porsche semi-solid RS motor mounts and a 997 transmission mount. I track my car frequently and have absolutely no issues with shifting whatsoever. I have also driven the 997GT3 with their shifter and actually prefer the 997SSK. When properly set up both provide rifle bolt action but the 997SSK will give you slightly shorter throws. As others have said, tighten up the drivetrain with stiffer engine and tranny mounts. You could install the best shifter in the world but if your engine/gearbox is flopping around, then your shifting will be lousy no matter what whiz bang shifter you have...
Old 03-26-2013, 07:29 PM
RaceDevelopementCenter
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

We are currently running a special on this for anyone interested.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:31 PM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
If you have "raced for many years" you would know there is nothing wrong with the shifter per your OP. You would go check out your motor mounts, and transmission mounts. As that's what a racer would ask his pit crew to take a look " theirs a lot of flex on the drive train under WOT at high rpms " since there is no issue crusing around.. get yourself semi solid or solid motor mounts like myself, and get your self a 997 tranny mount or a semi solid tranny mount and your problem will go away. No need to for a ssk.

I have driven 996's and 997's with
stock 996 996ssk 997 997 ssk 997 gt3 kit.. never had an issue with the "shifter" ..

I personally have a 997ssk. I was the first to give it a try in the 996t community and i like it. My very good friend got the 997 from a gt3 on his turbo, its good too( I have also driven with the b&m on another car thats good to). I have no problem shifting with any of them. Or downshifting mid turn for ****s and giggles to test how perfect i can do a heal toe without disturbing the balance of the car
Thanks. I do know motor and transmission mounts matter, but in this case I had that checked and the car was never tracked and has only 10K miles. That was the first thing I thought about honestly, but did not write that here since I considered that first before focusing on the actual shifter/clutch. I then thought maybe it had something to do with the way the shifter flows...as I looked at how the shifter functioned others pointed out that it has a method to it. Yeah I slam gears honestly and do heel to toe shifting and don't have issues in general thus I was very surprised I missed the shift...

The cars I raced I never had to maintain. I was lucky enough to have a sponsor that sorted the cars based on my feedback and was jumping in and out of different cars and types of cars honestly (legend and stock). The cars that were my own that I ran were either at DE events or autocross and as sloppy as hell - well before my porsche days - my 99 Saab Viggen the worst of them, but a blast to run. I stopped any racing 13 years ago when I had kids. I will likely get back into it again, but I play a lot of golf and that has taken precedent at this point in my life as my core sport.

So regardless I know how to shift and what I am doing. Obviously you went to a SSK here and all I was doing was suggesting that something wasn't right on how the stock 997TT shifts 2-3. Obviously I wasn't alone. Its not rocket science and I can make it work, but I simply want better. Didn't think that was inappropriate topic honestly.

I am sure we will agree to disagree.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:39 PM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by powdrhound
I have a properly installed and adjusted 997SSK along with the Porsche semi-solid RS motor mounts and a 997 transmission mount. I track my car frequently and have absolutely no issues with shifting whatsoever. I have also driven the 997GT3 with their shifter and actually prefer the 997SSK. When properly set up both provide rifle bolt action but the 997SSK will give you slightly shorter throws. As others have said, tighten up the drivetrain with stiffer engine and tranny mounts. You could install the best shifter in the world but if your engine/gearbox is flopping around, then your shifting will be lousy no matter what whiz bang shifter you have...

Thanks for the feedback. Where did you get the RS motor mounts. Sounds worthwhile.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:47 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Originally Posted by wross996tt
what he ^ said...
Thank you sir

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Same setup , only that i have solid motor mounts and i agree with everything you said.

Thanks. I do know motor and transmission mounts matter, but in this case I had that checked and the car was never tracked and has only 10K miles. That was the first thing I thought about honestly, but did not write that here since I considered that first before focusing on the actual shifter/clutch. I then thought maybe it had something to do with the way the shifter flows...as I looked at how the shifter functioned others pointed out that it has a method to it. Yeah I slam gears honestly and do heel to toe shifting and don't have issues in general thus I was very surprised I missed the shift...

The cars I raced I never had to maintain. I was lucky enough to have a sponsor that sorted the cars based on my feedback and was jumping in and out of different cars and types of cars honestly (legend and stock). The cars that were my own that I ran were either at DE events or autocross and as sloppy as hell - well before my porsche days - my 99 Saab Viggen the worst of them, but a blast to run. I stopped any racing 13 years ago when I had kids. I will likely get back into it again, but I play a lot of golf and that has taken precedent at this point in my life as my core sport.

So regardless I know how to shift and what I am doing. Obviously you went to a SSK here and all I was doing was suggesting that something wasn't right on how the stock 997TT shifts 2-3. Obviously I wasn't alone. Its not rocket science and I can make it work, but I simply want better. Didn't think that was inappropriate topic honestly.

I am sure we will agree to disagree.

Cool enjoy the car and getting back into racing. A lot of people find band-aids to the problems, and not the actual problem.

Problem: car produces to much tq for ****ty oem mounts for wot in 2nd. Get semi solid or solid engine mounts and tranny mounts and your set.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:30 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 282 Posts

Obviously F1crazydriver is the greatest of all time. Best shifter no matter what, runs different tires front to rear, knows what to tell his pit crew.

As if the OP is the first person to swap out shifters.

Quick Reply: Numeric Adjustable Ball Bearing SSK