Sponsored by:

Numeric Adjustable Ball Bearing SSK

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 08:44 PM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Numeric Adjustable Ball Bearing SSK

Who has installed the Numeric Adjustable Ball Bearing Short Throw Shifter? Curious what this group thinks. See link below:

http://www.numericracing.com/Products.php

Looks like a work of art. I want something that helps the 2-3rd shift under full load. I consider myself a good driver/shifter and haven't grinded a gear in decades yet I have done so 3 times in the last 30 days only on 2nd-3rd shifts when pushing the TT (which is new to me). Car only has 10K miles and just had it at dealer for full review with zero issues found. I have no issues under regular shifting with any of the gears - works perfectly. I did a search on it and this is said to make that better and there is a post on it on the 997 BB, but nobody there has any issues shifting to care. I almost did the GT3 shifter group buy, but held off and might go this direction instead - that said its about 2x the cost.

Thoughts or experiences? Looks like its newer to the market?

TIA
Old 03-11-2013, 10:09 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Misplacedyankee
Who has installed the Numeric Adjustable Ball Bearing Short Throw Shifter? Curious what this group thinks. See link below:

http://www.numericracing.com/Products.php

Looks like a work of art. I want something that helps the 2-3rd shift under full load. I consider myself a good driver/shifter and haven't grinded a gear in decades yet I have done so 3 times in the last 30 days only on 2nd-3rd shifts when pushing the TT (which is new to me). Car only has 10K miles and just had it at dealer for full review with zero issues found. I have no issues under regular shifting with any of the gears - works perfectly. I did a search on it and this is said to make that better and there is a post on it on the 997 BB, but nobody there has any issues shifting to care. I almost did the GT3 shifter group buy, but held off and might go this direction instead - that said its about 2x the cost.

Thoughts or experiences? Looks like its newer to the market?

TIA
i thought it was just me on 2nd to 3rd. When pushing that's the one I miss. Done it twice. It's actually a smooth change, but for some reason, I tend to miss it. I've never had that problem on another car.

I was chalking it up to old age. I have the 997GT3 shifter btw.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:10 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

yep i have it. amazing doesnt describe how it feels when racing. precise, short and always hits the mark. best shifter i ever had
Old 03-11-2013, 10:30 PM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Almost pulled the trigger on this SSK. Waiting for a group buy or discount with the purchase of a cup cable.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:42 PM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SSST
i thought it was just me on 2nd to 3rd. When pushing that's the one I miss. Done it twice. It's actually a smooth change, but for some reason, I tend to miss it. I've never had that problem on another car.

I was chalking it up to old age. I have the 997GT3 shifter btw.
Same for me - its a clean shift just gets grinded a bit when engaged. I noticed if I push the clutch hard in and match the revs a bit its not an issue, but I am sure the shifter could be more precise because I am letting the clutch out a hair fast. I just chocked it up to learning the car, but couldn't believe I did it again today. Made a good excuse to finally do something about the SSK too.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:43 PM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996TWINS
Almost pulled the trigger on this SSK. Waiting for a group buy or discount with the purchase of a cup cable.
Wonder if we could get that going. Being a bit of a newbie to the advances here what does the cup cable add to the setup?
Old 03-11-2013, 10:44 PM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
yep i have it. amazing doesnt describe how it feels when racing. precise, short and always hits the mark. best shifter i ever had
Thanks. Sounds like +1 for this kit. What did you have in before this one?
Old 03-12-2013, 12:00 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Misplacedyankee
I want something that helps the 2-3rd shift under full load. I consider myself a good driver/shifter and haven't grinded a gear in decades yet I have done so 3 times in the last 30 days only on 2nd-3rd shifts when pushing the TT (which is new to me).
The missed 3rd gear shift is likely caused by attempting to make the shift pattern a straight line from 2nd gear.

Use the spring in neutral that Porsche put there to assist in making solid 2-3 shifts: Push the gear shifter out of 2nd to neutral, let the spring center the shifter directly under 3rd gear, then push the shift lever straight forward into 3rd. It's a quick "push-pause-push" shift.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:10 AM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
The missed 3rd gear shift is likely caused by attempting to make the shift pattern a straight line from 2nd gear.

Use the spring in neutral that Porsche put there to assist in making solid 2-3 shifts: Push the gear shifter out of 2nd to neutral, let the spring center the shifter directly under 3rd gear, then push the shift lever straight forward into 3rd. It's a quick "push-pause-push" shift.
I will give that a shot. Makes total sense.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:26 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You can actually use the "straight line shift" when going from 4th to 5th.

Here's my 2-3 "push-pause-push" shift, along with some other shifting (B&M shifter on a bone cold car)...

Old 03-12-2013, 12:31 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this boring video week on the 996tt board?
Old 03-12-2013, 12:44 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the push-pause-push will fix this problem
to reinforce this, push the shifter with the palm of the hand without wrapping your fingers around the shifter

the other thing that may be going on is altered alignment between the shifter mechanism and motor when the motor is torqued while under load. The fix for this is stiffer motor and transmission mounts. If you get serious about tracking the car, you will need to get this done.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:46 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SSST
Is this boring video week on the 996tt board?
Not if you want to avoid missing the 2-3 shift.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:47 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the shop I frequent had a numeric shifter on the shelf - it is a thing of beauty
I am putting in a 997 GT3 shifter and spending the difference on cup cables
Old 03-12-2013, 12:54 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fly2low
...to reinforce this, push the shifter with the palm of the hand without wrapping your fingers around the shifter
Great point; the open palm method is how I started learning the process. I'm actually using the push-pause-push technique in the video, it's just hard to see without an open palm. If I'm accelerating at WOT and want a fast 2-3 shift, I actually unwrap my fingers from the shifter and use just my palm to make sure I don't miss the shift.

Quick Reply: Numeric Adjustable Ball Bearing SSK