Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Numeric Adjustable Ball Bearing SSK

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 01:02 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've figured it out since I missed the second one. That's what 37 years of driving will do for you. .

I just wish it were more like the 4th to 5th in feel. When you are trying to shift quickly that longish travel in the middle (even with the SSK) is a bit annoying.

These are great cars but they do have a few shortcomings and this is one of them IMO.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:11 AM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Misplacedyankee
Thanks. Sounds like +1 for this kit. What did you have in before this one?
i had a b&m short shifter and missed 2-3 more than a few times. numeric in the car and no issues. dont have to pause or anything, just let the shifter do what it does best.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:37 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
i had a b&m short shifter and missed 2-3 more than a few times.
What was the reason you missed the shifts?

...dont have to pause or anything...
How fast do you need to complete the 2-3 shift?
Old 03-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Th Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The numeric shifter has zero slop or play. "Rifle bolt" feel gets used often when people discuss high end shifters...in this case, the statement is accurate.
I came from the stock shifter to numeric. Numeric has a much more mechanical and overall solid feel. The stock shifter felt cheap and plastic like, which it is.
My mechanic, Greg Brown of Precision Motorwerks in Anaheim, was also thoroughly impressed with the quality and workmanship.
You won't be disappointed with the numeric.
Abiding,
D
Old 03-12-2013, 02:56 PM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Has anyone installed the shifter with the cup cables?
Old 03-12-2013, 05:44 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dock
What was the reason you missed the shifts?
dont really know why the shift was missed other than i always felt the b&m was very notchy when shifting. thing is i didnt even know i had this shifter until i removed it. always thought it was the oem shifter.

How fast do you need to complete the 2-3 shift?
i need it to be as fast as possible when running the 1/4 mile. i have launch control and no lift shifting on my ecu file

Originally Posted by 996TWINS
Has anyone installed the shifter with the cup cables?
most likely the next thing i order from numeric
Old 03-12-2013, 05:50 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

i need it to be as fast as possible when running the 1/4 mile. i have launch control and no lift shifting on my ecu file
So probably the Numeric shifter might best be described as useful for those who take their cars to the drag strip and who have launch control and no-lift shifting ECUs, and who aren't concerned about their synchros.

For those who don't take their cars to the drag strip and/or who don't street race, it seems that the speed of the 2-3 shift, when done properly, would be sufficiently quick with the OEM or other Porsche short shifter (including the B&M).
Old 03-12-2013, 05:59 PM
Th Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

So probably the Numeric shifter might best be described as useful for those who take their cars to the drag strip and who have launch control and no-lift shifting ECUs, and who aren't concerned about their synchros.

For those who don't take their cars to the drag strip and/or who don't street race, it seems that the speed of the 2-3 shift, when done properly, would be sufficiently quick with the OEM or other Porsche short shifter (including the B&M).
Friendly alteration: The Numeric shifter might be best described as useful for those who wish to have a high level of precision in the feel of their shifter.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:38 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

as usual you seem to feel the need to disparage anything i post or turn into a car abuse issue. i use the car as a performance car. i drag race it, i road race it and i street drive it. i put high performance parts on it to allow the car to perform at its optimum. if that bothers you then it sucks to be you. no issues at all with my syncros as theres worry about missing shifts. and i dont have to worry about "push,pause,push" and hope it goes in. with a quality shifter it goes. of course on yours (the worlds most perfect car) theres never any issue with any shifter, spoiler, clutch slave or coolant lines. oh why didnt porsche build my car like yours?

for the future maybe you can just ignore my posts as i will certainly be ignoring you
Old 03-12-2013, 08:03 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

i put high performance parts on it to allow the car to perform at its optimum.
Which is why I asked inquired about your shift speed requirements.

If someone is having issues with the 2-3 shift then it's reasonable to find out why, and it's reasonable to ask what the person's "target" is in their shifting (like drag racing). Offering a low cost way to avoid missed 2-3 shifts shouldn't be considered a bad thing.

i dont have to worry about "push,pause,push" and hope it goes in.
You don't have to "hope it goes in", as it has nothing to do with the quality of the shifter.

BTW, I also use the performance abilities of my Turbo.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:04 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Th Dude
The Numeric shifter might be best described as useful for those who wish to have a high level of precision in the feel of their shifter.
A description that can also be applied to the B&M shifter.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:09 PM
The NSX dude
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

I never missed or grinded gears, but felt it was too close to comfort and upgraded to the Porsche SSK. World of difference! I love it
Old 03-12-2013, 10:39 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Here's a 2-3 shift while driving; open palm:

Old 03-24-2013, 10:25 PM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Here's a 2-3 shift while driving; open palm:

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_edi...m-privacy&ns=1
I can say that this works, but its BS I have to think about this on my shift to 3rd. I am ordering a numeric and will post my review once I install it. Worth it to me to perfect the shifter.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:06 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Misplacedyankee
I can say that this works, but its BS I have to think about this on my shift to 3rd.
If you practice the technique a bit you might find that you don't have to think about it.

Quick Reply: Numeric Adjustable Ball Bearing SSK