Sponsored by:

Close to having the spoiler replaced...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 11:52 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 365 Likes on 221 Posts

This is fun to watch!
Replace the factory system and move on! It's a Porsche,why skimping on a Porsche!
The last one lasted 10-11 years for most,what tells me it won't last another 10?
Old 02-09-2013, 02:51 PM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
It can be moved in little time with simple tools, thus it is not "fixed". It is manually adjustable to any height.

Your PVC pipe solution is "fixed", unless you want to take the rams completely apart to lower the wing and since the guts of the rams had to removed the wing will slide up and down on its own without the PVC pipes in place.

PVC pipe solution is a hack job. This adjustable solution is totally secure and yet a movable engineered solution.
I see the point your are making but for clarification, the guts of the ram are not taken completely apart. The ram tube is merely removed from the cylinder, the PVC spacer dropped in place and then the tube inserted back into the cylinder "in little time with simple tools." It really is quite simple and I could change the height in about ten minutes. Maybe not as fast as the mechanically adjustable one but I gotta think once you find the height you like that it pretty much stays there and is rarely adjusted.

Why do you think the PVC is a hack job? Don't like plastic? Porsche's are full of plastic. You can't see it, the caps on the bottom of the cylinder are still in place and visually it looks completely stock. I believe the mechanical system has the adjustment fasteners exposed on the bottom of the cylinder and thus not stock looking.

I guess we could argue semantics all day but both systems are "fixed". Both systems are hight adjustable. And both systems do not automatically raise and lower themselves based on the speed of the car in motion. If they don't adjust while the car is in motion, they are fixed.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:31 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,531 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by sanyata
I see the point your are making but for clarification, the guts of the ram are not taken completely apart. The ram tube is merely removed from the cylinder, the PVC spacer dropped in place and then the tube inserted back into the cylinder "in little time with simple tools." It really is quite simple and I could change the height in about ten minutes. Maybe not as fast as the mechanically adjustable one but I gotta think once you find the height you like that it pretty much stays there and is rarely adjusted.

Why do you think the PVC is a hack job? Don't like plastic? Porsche's are full of plastic. You can't see it, the caps on the bottom of the cylinder are still in place and visually it looks completely stock. I believe the mechanical system has the adjustment fasteners exposed on the bottom of the cylinder and thus not stock looking.

I guess we could argue semantics all day but both systems are "fixed". Both systems are hight adjustable. And both systems do not automatically raise and lower themselves based on the speed of the car in motion. If they don't adjust while the car is in motion, they are fixed.

Maybe "hack job" was over the top.

I just like being able to raise or lower the height of my wing with a few twists of a wrench. If you leave yours up all the time then your inexpensive fix works best for you.

Now people know there are two was to fix this issue both costing way less than new hydraulics.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:34 PM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Fortunately I picked up a complete set of inoperative hydraulics on the cheap so I'm able to fiddle around with them and not take apart the original system that came on the car. I'm gonna try using the stop leak fluid and bleed the intact system in hopes of getting it to work again. Until then I'll just live with a stationary wing for now. I don't track so whatever I do is pretty much solely based on aesthetics.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:04 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I was a able to pull the plug off of the back of the switch that's in the dash horseshoe trim and then pull both of the little contact springs off of the micro switches on the right side hydraulic , mount the switches back in place without said springs and not get any error lights. This took me about 45 minutes. Granted I don't have a working spoiler but I still have $1600 or so in the bank. (not really because I'm mounting a fixed Techart wing). I've research this quite a bit and it seems not all cars behave the same so this might not work for you. But it's an easy experiment to try.

If you want your wing fixed in the up position you can disconnect the hydraulic connections and have your wing in a raised position by inserting a PVC tube cut to length inside the cylinders and using the appropriate length 8mm screws. This is what I did and I've got about $4.00 in the whole set up!

All that being said I still would prefer an articulating wing just as it came from the factory but not bad enough to spend $1600 on it when it's just putting back in the same problematic system.
Perfect. I may do this. My spoiler goes up and down but I think it stops short of activating the switches so my dash light comes on.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:50 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
This is fun to watch!
Replace the factory system and move on! It's a Porsche,why skimping on a Porsche!
The last one lasted 10-11 years for most,what tells me it won't last another 10?
This is my thinking. I spoke to the techs about this the other day and they told me they've replaced some spoilers. The replacement hardware appears to be better and once installed that's that. The techs tell me not one car has come back with a bad replacement spoiler and some of these were replaced quite soon after the car was first sold, so the cars/new spoilers have accumulated some time and miles.

In my car's case the original one lasted over 100K miles and 9 years.

So I'm getting close to having the malfunctioning spoiler replaced. The car is almost due to an oil/filter service -- maybe next week -- so I think maybe next Tuesday I'll call the parts department and have the necessary spoiler hardware ordered and as soon as it arrives then take the car in and have the oil/filter service done and at the same time get the spoiler replaced and be done with this.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:05 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Why not replace the spoiler yourself. its pretty straight forward.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:06 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
Why not replace the spoiler yourself. its pretty straight forward.
No time and no place to work on the car.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:10 PM
BOBBYFALI
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macster
No time and no place to work on the car.
How much are they charging you to replace the spoiler parts and labour?

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba
Old 02-16-2013, 02:47 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I went a bit more extreme in my solution, ditched the OEM, installed a GT2 fixed wing (aftermarket, CF wing element). Lighter and better looking, IMO.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:41 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by BOBBYFALI
How much are they charging you to replace the spoiler parts and labour?

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba
The estimate I got is $1686 parts, 2 hours labor at $150/hour.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:49 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Honestly, that isn't to bad.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:19 PM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Honestly, that isn't to bad.
About what you'd guess from a dealer for a 30 minute job!
Old 02-17-2013, 10:19 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah it took me less than an hour to repalce the whole asembly
Old 02-18-2013, 02:58 PM
Macster
Race Director

About what you'd guess from a dealer for a 30 minute job!
The labor estimate was verbal made on the fly. Often I do not get a written estimate and actual cost comes in under the the verbal estimate cost.

Now the parts cost I got a hard copy of my cost for the spoiler from the parts department.

I won't have it done this month but maybe in March. Then we'll see. I'll also ask what's involved.

Quick Reply: Close to having the spoiler replaced...