Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member needs advice on 2002 996TT

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 09:35 PM
turbo4 me
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car is worth 45k. Doubt that the dealer will go there, but that would be my number.

The interior color is not a factor.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:41 PM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I think the price is high given I was recently in the market. I think 45-48K right zone for years and mileage. I am weary of dealers. I always by direct from owner if I can. Mods on a car at dealer would make me even more suspicious. How did the dealer get the car? What did they tell you and what does carfax say? Auction would be an absolute no-go.

As for PPIs I place little weight in them. I learn the owner and look for low mileage scenarios or warranties. If you are really in love with it maybe have them get you a fidelity platinum warranty as part of the deal.

Took me 6 months of hit and miss searching. I found one I really liked and hesitated and it was gone. Its a gut feel. Fact that you asked a forum for opinion must mean you are on the fence.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:41 PM
PK911
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 37 Posts

First, thank you all! This is really helpful!

So, it seems like a PPI done by Callas is the way to go.
I also think that the list price is too high. Obviously, my offer will depend on the PPI results.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:42 PM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by The NSX dude
A PPI is only as good as the dealer who performed the work. I live in NJ, bought my car in L.A. and had my PPI done by McKenna porsche. I paid $325 if Im not mistaken. They say the car is PERFECT! Intercity drops off the car and 5 miles down the road it starts misfiring.

Needless to say, I have the car being serviced now at another Porsche dealership. Getting a new fuel pump, plugs, coils have hairline cracks, and my tires are bald.
Is this that yellow beauty you got? Wasn't it low miles? Hope you get her straight and then we need to meet up for some coffee.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:49 PM
PK911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Misplacedyankee
I think the price is high given I was recently in the market. I think 45-48K right zone for years and mileage. I am weary of dealers. I always by direct from owner if I can. Mods on a car at dealer would make me even more suspicious. How did the dealer get the car? What did they tell you and what does carfax say? Auction would be an absolute no-go.

As for PPIs I place little weight in them. I learn the owner and look for low mileage scenarios or warranties. If you are really in love with it maybe have them get you a fidelity platinum warranty as part of the deal.

Took me 6 months of hit and miss searching. I found one I really liked and hesitated and it was gone. Its a gut feel. Fact that you asked a forum for opinion must mean you are on the fence.
This is a trade-in. The previous owner used to get the car serviced at that dealership and decided to buy a GTR (that dealership also sells Nissans).
Old 01-25-2013, 11:38 PM
The NSX dude
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Misplacedyankee
Is this that yellow beauty you got? Wasn't it low miles? Hope you get her straight and then we need to meet up for some coffee.
Yep. It's an 02 with only 9k miles. The car had 9750 miles in 2007, I bought it with 9900 on the night before Thanksgiving. Cosmetically it is new but does needs some routine maintenance from sitting and it being a 11 year old car. I figured just do it all and make sure it's perfect.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:40 AM
TheSilverFox
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey PK, I would have to agree with the opinions that the car may be overpriced and the grey interior does not help.

For a point of reference, I purchased my 996tt last year at this same time. Car basically had the same mileage 19k, more upgrades and cost $47k. Seeing where the market has been lately, think it would sell much less than that. Definately get a PPI done and ask a lot of questions. I passed on two other cars because if these. One I thought was perfect but needed a lot of work due to lack of miles, lots of dried seals.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:22 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That's a bare bone turbo, except fore the multi disc CD player so my take $42K tops.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:01 PM
csaturno1
Intermediate

I just paid 42,500 for a 02 X50- one owner all records - 38,000 Miles. cf- sport seats ect... Being delivered today- and the 42,500 was out the door- so tax included- from a dealer in Upstate NY
Old 01-26-2013, 01:14 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree that's a lot of money for an 02 even with the low miles. For comparison I bought an 04 cab with full Porsche CPO 2 years ago for about what they are asking.

See what NADA says the wholesale value is. It is almost a guarantee that this the maximum they have in the car. Add 5 to 10% to that and make them an offer. Of you are a good negotiator, and they know you are serious, I bet you can get a good deal. They aren't emotionally attached to car and just want to turn inventory at a decent return.

As for the color, it's a matter of taste. That's why they offer choices. Most people say black is the best color, but you couldn't pay me to own a car with a black interior. I passed on a lot of cars when I was looking because they had black interiors. BTW, I used that as a negotiating point.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:42 PM
The NSX dude
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

Im a firm believer that any mods kill resale value. All in all, I followed the market for two years prior to buying mine recently. That seems like $45-47k is the money on that car.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:42 PM
Silberwolfen
Racer

Originally Posted by The NSX dude
Im a firm believer that any mods kill resale value. All in all, I followed the market for two years prior to buying mine recently. That seems like $45-47k is the money on that car.
Yep...you and I were looking at the same ones here on the East Coast.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:11 PM
NYC996x50
Instructor

Here's my advice...

1. don't buy from a dealer. i hate dealers. they can care less about reputation. it's all about profit. i would rather a priver seller made money instead of a dealer. check the classifieds. if someone has a car for sale here, the car's history is in the threads. if you want to have a good idea about going rates, i recommend manheim and check out the auction prices.

2. of course get a PPI but not from a Porsche dealer. im sure each state has some well known independent PPI's. make sure a PPI includes a paint meter reading. if the paint is not original, keep in mind the car may be used as a track car and it may have hit a wall in its life. original paint is better, even if it has had its share of rock chips. i would recommend including an oil change as part of the PPI... if you see metal flakes, it's game over.

3. get as much as a service history as possible! i spent a little over 5k changing clutch, flywheel, spark plugs, rear brake pads, wheel alignment and recharge the air conditioning. the car is not cheap to maintain. for example, to replace the rams on the spoiler costs 2k. don't assume low mileage cars will have excellent clutches or brakes. a clutch in nyc wont last as long as a clutch used in long island.

4. the stock shifter is really terrible. try to find one with a factory ssk. im looking to get one and it will probably cost 1k if change the shift boot and ****.

5. dont be put off by carbon ceramic brakes. even though they cost an arm and a leg to replace, you can always change to conventional steel units. there are many threads about this topic.

6. you really have to be patient. it will take a few months. there are too many wrecked/neglected 996tt out there. i think even worse is a gt3... try finding one that's not wrecked! oh btw, carfax and autocheck is bs. believe it or not, some people will pay upwards of 20k cash to have the car fixed and keep the carfax clean. if you want something in a short time frame you can always broaden your options. there's 997s or m5
Old 01-26-2013, 10:02 PM
PK911
Instructor

Originally Posted by NYC996x50
Here's my advice...

1. don't buy from a dealer. i hate dealers. they can care less about reputation. it's all about profit. i would rather a priver seller made money instead of a dealer. check the classifieds. if someone has a car for sale here, the car's history is in the threads. if you want to have a good idea about going rates, i recommend manheim and check out the auction prices.

2. of course get a PPI but not from a Porsche dealer. im sure each state has some well known independent PPI's. make sure a PPI includes a paint meter reading. if the paint is not original, keep in mind the car may be used as a track car and it may have hit a wall in its life. original paint is better, even if it has had its share of rock chips. i would recommend including an oil change as part of the PPI... if you see metal flakes, it's game over.

3. get as much as a service history as possible! i spent a little over 5k changing clutch, flywheel, spark plugs, rear brake pads, wheel alignment and recharge the air conditioning. the car is not cheap to maintain. for example, to replace the rams on the spoiler costs 2k. don't assume low mileage cars will have excellent clutches or brakes. a clutch in nyc wont last as long as a clutch used in long island.

4. the stock shifter is really terrible. try to find one with a factory ssk. im looking to get one and it will probably cost 1k if change the shift boot and ****.

5. dont be put off by carbon ceramic brakes. even though they cost an arm and a leg to replace, you can always change to conventional steel units. there are many threads about this topic.

6. you really have to be patient. it will take a few months. there are too many wrecked/neglected 996tt out there. i think even worse is a gt3... try finding one that's not wrecked! oh btw, carfax and autocheck is bs. believe it or not, some people will pay upwards of 20k cash to have the car fixed and keep the carfax clean. if you want something in a short time frame you can always broaden your options. there's 997s or m5
Thanks for the good advice!

As many of you have said, I have to be patient. But there are not a lot of clean 996TT out there right now. Hopefully things will get better in the spring.

I thought about the 997s phase 1 but it's too close in terms of power to my current car (Z4 M roadster) and I'm also a bit worried about the IMS issues. And to be honest, I'm just a big fan of the 996TT!

My ideal 996TT would be: bone stock, black on black with carbon interior, x50, less than 40k miles. I'm aware that this will be difficult to find but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:57 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC996x50
Here's my advice...

i would actually rather buy from a dealer. Much easier to negotiate with because there is no emotional attachment to the car.

BTW. You make profit sound like a bad thing. If it weren't for profit, none of us would have Porsche's and we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Quick Reply: New member needs advice on 2002 996TT