Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Stereo & GPS Nav Installed (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 05:25 PM
MBH
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Silberwolfen - don't sweat overpaying, if you could justify the price without knowing the "cheapest" way to get it, it's still money well spent. Very clean installation & looks right at home in our cars. I just came out of a jaguar xf with the upgraded bowers and wilkens stereo and man do ours stink! Posts like yours aren't helping that feeling

as a friend once said: "if it's got no highs and got no lows, without a doubt it must be Bose"

The ipad mini looks so dang good!!
Old 01-30-2013, 05:27 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Silberwolfen
Kevin---you were exactly right. Dead on! I am having an amp put in next week.
think i asked the same question when you asked about the install! the germans love the bose 2 ohm system. had the same issue with my mercedes.
it may be easier in the long run to replace the speakers with better 4 ohm units in the oem locations than try to run the so-so oem speakers thru another amp tied to your new headunit
Old 02-04-2013, 07:54 PM
King_James
Instructor

I also have a 2003 and want to replace with that same Pioneer unit (had an Avic D3 in my 350z back in the day) however I thought an amp was needed. See your installing one now.

A new amp will also be 4 ohm, what are you doing for that? Or is there a 2Ohm amp somewhere? Be interested in the wiring and how this is eventually fixed cause it's one of my next upgrades.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:16 AM
Ben_C
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Silberwolfen, how is the stereo working out? I am looking at doing a swap soon - it appears that I can get a new head unit plus amplifier and use my current speakers, then upgrade them later if required - most of the 5 channel amps I have looked at seem to have a 2 ohm rating. But I am keen to hear how it is in the real world!

Cheers Ben
Old 02-21-2013, 12:55 PM
mmm951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben_C
Silberwolfen, how is the stereo working out? I am looking at doing a swap soon - it appears that I can get a new head unit plus amplifier and use my current speakers, then upgrade them later if required - most of the 5 channel amps I have looked at seem to have a 2 ohm rating. But I am keen to hear how it is in the real world!

Cheers Ben
You might want to consider bypassing the 5-channel and get two separate amps. If you are upgrading, then you might as well do it top notch.

JL Audio makes a 5-channel, but it is still not as good as dedicated amps. I am running a 6-channel amp for the speakers and a mono for the sub. I opted not to install the 6-channel amp in the factory location due to poor heat dissipation.

Sorry...pic quality sucks.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:38 PM
Ben_C
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a neat install. I don't pretend to be an audiophile but then the cost of the extra amp is not huge. Something to consider anyway.
I think I'll get rid of the CD changer as you have - it seems a bit pointless wth ipod/usb inputs.

Cheers Ben
Old 02-22-2013, 09:22 AM
clorigo
Instructor

How long were the screws you used to attach the amps? I'm a bit worried about screwing into something important. Did you use sheet metal screws?
Old 02-22-2013, 03:12 PM
King_James
Instructor

I'm looking at this same setup with an amp. I really only want one amp under the hood tho... how many channels is the stock Bose system? I'm guessing 5 so a 6 channel amp with two bridged for the sub is the way to go?

Also what power amp would be best? 50x6 or something like that? Sorry my audio knowledge is a bit dated so I'm a bit lost these days. Last car audio setup I did was with a PPI a600 and JL 12w6s lol
Old 02-24-2013, 01:33 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,857 Likes on 1,523 Posts

Originally Posted by clorigo
How long were the screws you used to attach the amps? I'm a bit worried about screwing into something important. Did you use sheet metal screws?
This always concerns me as well... It's evidently common practice to just use self-tapping sheet metal screws to install audio equipment, but I'm always leery of doing it.

Any more thoughts on this?
Old 02-26-2013, 04:59 PM
mmm951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
This always concerns me as well... It's evidently common practice to just use self-tapping sheet metal screws to install audio equipment, but I'm always leery of doing it.

Any more thoughts on this?
I lifted up the carpet and used a piece of plywood attached to the metal for the subwoofer amp. The 6-channel on top is mounted with screws and locking nuts in the reverse position. The screws used to hold down the amp only go through the wood, not the car. It is very rigid and will not budge.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:38 PM
clorigo
Instructor

Ok okay so some glue to attach the wood and then screws to the wood? If so what adhesive did you use.

Thanks for the info. Looks great btw.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:38 PM
mmm951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by clorigo
Ok okay so some glue to attach the wood and then screws to the wood? If so what adhesive did you use.

Thanks for the info. Looks great btw.
Do not use adhesive. All you need are some thick strips of velcro and it will do the job along with the friction of the carpet and screws holding it in place. This way you will not have adhesive stuck to the body of your car.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:12 AM
clorigo
Instructor

More great info. Thanks!
Old 03-03-2013, 02:34 AM
Silberwolfen
Racer

Had an Alpine amp added...it sounds good. Totally different with an amp versus just the head unit. Definitely add and amp.

Out of the country this week and have been off of the forum for a while. Will return soon.

Quick Reply: New Stereo & GPS Nav Installed (Pics)