Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Stereo & GPS Nav Installed (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 10:42 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Had one of these for years (6) and the newer unit looks much cooler. Never looked back...OEM sucked wind (and it died...why I put a new unit in..the replacement then was 3000+dollars.....and I long since gave up the idea of keeping the car dead stock. These are not "collector's" cars..they are drivers. SO, enjoy. Best thing you could have done and it looks awesome!

Save it, sure. Will anyone likely every put the OEM back in.....um, no.

Bluetooth on my ancient unit (2.0 compat) is pretty good...there are hacks about for Porsche boot screens, and such, and an Avic website .... avic411 or something like that.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:07 AM
spur911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice looking, did they offer that type radio with satellite ? Thanks
Old 01-28-2013, 09:45 AM
Silberwolfen
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spur996
Nice looking, did they offer that type radio with satellite ? Thanks
Yes...it has XM radio.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:33 PM
KC_Michael
Advanced

Hi John, That is a really nice looking upgrade. I've been researching this upgrade for my car as well.
Can you help me to understand how that all adds up to $1700? How much were you charged for labor? Head unit sells on Amazon for $566.30 (http://tinyurl.com/a3ytbnu). Surround shouldn't be more than around $150. Cabling? Satellite radio module? Other bells and whistles not included with head unit?
Given no new speakers and no external amplifier $1700 sounds high. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:28 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Very nice work, it turned out awesome !!
Old 01-29-2013, 05:50 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

KC_Michael

Have you read the reviews of this unit on Amazon?
Old 01-30-2013, 01:02 AM
Silberwolfen
Racer

Originally Posted by KC_Michael
Hi John, That is a really nice looking upgrade. I've been researching this upgrade for my car as well.
Can you help me to understand how that all adds up to $1700? How much were you charged for labor? Head unit sells on Amazon for $566.30 (http://tinyurl.com/a3ytbnu). Surround shouldn't be more than around $150. Cabling? Satellite radio module? Other bells and whistles not included with head unit?
Given no new speakers and no external amplifier $1700 sounds high. Thanks.
I think since he works through the Porsche dealer that I got charged full MSRP for the unit---I see that price on Amazon! Darn. The remainder was the install, antenna, iPod connector, and harness. I probably overpaid by about $400 on the deal....yes.

But his install was very good.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:15 AM
etchhead
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks great enjoy! I need to swap my single den as well. Been looking at the AVIC units but every time I get close they roll out a better model!!
Old 01-30-2013, 11:57 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I kind of doubt your head unit amplifier can put out the current the Bose 2 ohm speakers will pull when played at a good listening level. You are in jeporady of blowing the outputs on the head unit amp. I strongly suggest you upgrade your speakers to some others that have 4 ohm impedance ratings. The reason the sub will cut out is the current draw. You over tax tax the outputs. Too much curent too much heat = blown output drivers. You can put in an amp in as long as it can drive 2 ohms and be confident it will take car of the problem.

Nice looking unit
Old 01-30-2013, 12:35 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may sound pretty stupid, but the new Pioneer head does have GPS nav? How do you get data updates - hopefully they are not as expensive $$ as Porsche's updates. CD changer? Handles multiple discs? Hows the direction interface - it has GOT to be better than the stock address entry system...
Old 01-30-2013, 01:23 PM
Silberwolfen
Racer

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
I kind of doubt your head unit amplifier can put out the current the Bose 2 ohm speakers will pull when played at a good listening level. You are in jeporady of blowing the outputs on the head unit amp. I strongly suggest you upgrade your speakers to some others that have 4 ohm impedance ratings. The reason the sub will cut out is the current draw. You over tax tax the outputs. Too much curent too much heat = blown output drivers. You can put in an amp in as long as it can drive 2 ohms and be confident it will take car of the problem.

Nice looking unit
Good point, Kevin. I'll chat with my installer about this.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:51 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,806 Likes on 1,504 Posts

I also wanted to upgrade the nav/sound electronics in my 996. Looked at the 2DIN nav systems, but really wanted a bit more than the standard pioneer/kenwood/alpine systems offered. I went for a single din Pioneer head unit (DEH-X9500BHS) to replace the becker headunit, polk component speakers fitted to the stock dash and rear grills, and an iPad mini that I custom fitted into the dash for GPS, internet music, etc.

All modifications to the horseshoe bezel and radio support behind it. With the replacement of those two parts (about $60 each), everything can be returned to 100% OEM. All wiring through plug-in harnesses with zero modifications to factory wiring harnesses. Head unit and HVAC controls will be relocated to lower front console.

Still finishing up the install, but some pictures of WIP:

Even a little something for track days?
Old 01-30-2013, 03:26 PM
Silberwolfen
Racer

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd

Nice looking unit
Kevin---you were exactly right. Dead on! I am having an amp put in next week.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:27 PM
Silberwolfen
Racer

Originally Posted by pfbz
I also wanted to upgrade the nav/sound electronics in my 996. Looked at the 2DIN nav systems, but really wanted a bit more than the standard pioneer/kenwood/alpine systems offered. I went for a single din Pioneer head unit (DEH-X9500BHS) to replace the becker headunit, polk component speakers fitted to the stock dash and rear grills, and an iPad mini that I custom fitted into the dash for GPS, internet music, etc.

All modifications to the horseshoe bezel and radio support behind it. With the replacement of those two parts (about $60 each), everything can be returned to 100% OEM. All wiring through plug-in harnesses with zero modifications to factory wiring harnesses. Head unit and HVAC controls will be relocated to lower front console.

Still finishing up the install, but some pictures of WIP:

Even a little something for track days?
Damn nice!
Old 01-30-2013, 04:00 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Silberwolfen - Great, wish u many hours of enjoyment!

Quick Reply: New Stereo & GPS Nav Installed (Pics)