996 Tiptronic buyer advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 03:35 PM
Lost
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 Tiptronic buyer advice

Hi guys
I know that this topic was probably covered many times and I did my fair share of google searches but just in case I missed something.

I am looking at a 01 TT Triptonic with 42 k miles on it in my area. The car is annually serviced at the local dealer and looks in good condition. I did manage to test drive it. So far I liked it (it doesnt have the punch that a manual transmission has) but it is an awesome machine. I do need some time to adjust to it since I am used only driving stick.

any major issues that I might need to look for? also any other reasons why I should go with a manual in terms of reliability of the car?

I will also do a PPI if the sellers agrees on my offer.

Thank you for your feedback.

Last edited by Lost; 01-06-2013 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Adding some xtra info.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:53 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by Lost
I do need some time to adjust to it since I am used only driving stick...
Is there a reason why you want a Tip instead a six speed manual?
Old 01-06-2013, 05:11 PM
Dans996tt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only had my X50 TIP for a couple of weeks but so far I have no complaints. I have a good friend with a 6 speed X50 and they seem to be the same speed. I am getting old and would have never even considered an auto until recently, I can drive around in traffic talking on the phone and drinking coffee and it behaves like a grandma car upshifting at 2000 rpm.

Dan
Old 01-06-2013, 06:30 PM
Lost
7th Gear

Dock, the reason for the tip is because is the only TT I can find in DC area and I could test drive. No manuals at this point.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Another P
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my tip, and took the compromise for similar reasons. I live in traffic, and spends a lot of time well below the design of the car. So when I do get to open up and play, it isn't quite the same, but I'm very very happy with mine. Mine is lightly modded with e EVoMS tune on both engine and trans, and still excites me when I get to the DE events. I am not sorry of my choice. And the trans is designed/built by MBZ and can take a lot of abuse and HP without having to upgrade clutches etc, so that's a nice win.
Please...all you lucky 6 spd folks, don't beat on me for the last comment!
Old 01-06-2013, 07:25 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Dock, the reason for the tip is because is the only TT I can find in DC area and I could test drive. No manuals at this point.
If you like the involvement that a manual brings to the game, I'd suggest you wait for one and not compromise on what can be a big enjoyment factor in driving a Turbo.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:01 AM
mgsward996
Intermediate

I've had my tip for over a year and it is my daily driver and it never ceases to put a smile on my face when I get a chance to open it up. Although I know many folks prefer the manual versions, for me the tip just works better as I often times find myself in city traffic. If you like the tip and it checks out nicely, I say go for it!
Old 01-07-2013, 06:11 AM
nigelhenry
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I am in the process of buying a Tip.
Other than allowing the wife to drive it (is that a good thing? She did fully endorse the purchase...only seems fair), one side benefit of a Tip is the reduced maintence costs of not having to replace the clutch as well as the reduced risk over over revs.
The Tip gear box is designed to disallow a downshift that would over-rev the eng.
It seems from this forum that these Type 2 over-revs are a bit of an issue on manuals.

Plus, in M, isnt it virtually a manual anyway? Heck- the steering wheel selectors work even when you are in D!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:51 PM
Tytus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have had my 2001 tip for three years now. It is a great DD and I don't really miss the 6 spd, I also have an NSX that satisfies my need to row the box. I actually enjoy driving the Tip at the track, no fear of a money shift either. But to enjoy it I had to change to a smaller diameter paddle shift steering wheel and that made a world of difference.

Now for the bad news...

After my first or second track outing the transmission controller apparently got confused and made a grinding sound at low RPMs like it was trying to shift but couldn't decide what gear to go into. Turns out there is a Porsche Technical Bulletin on the subject for early Tips, pre 2003. You need to upgrade to a 2003 controller and the problem is solved. This was covered under my extended warranty; if you don't have a warranty it'll cost about $2,300. This apparently only happens when the car is driven aggressively for an extended period of time after having been driven in a normal manner previously.

Again this is only an issue with early Tips driven aggressively.

I would definitely get the car! Good luck.

Tytus
Old 01-07-2013, 05:01 PM
Lost
7th Gear

Thank you for the tips, guys!
Old 01-07-2013, 08:52 PM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Thank you for the tips, guys!
No pun intended! If you are a 6MT type I would hold out and wait for a new one to be for sale. I wouldn't compromise if it was me. To buy a car like this and be 50/50 on the transmission just doesn't make sense. Its key to the overall experience. No way I would but a tip in this car. My DD sure, but not my fun car.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:15 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 228 Posts
Talking

Tip will be your best friend in DC's traffic. especially on 495,270,66,95, etc...
Old 01-09-2013, 11:56 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Cant see how a X50 tip is the same as a 6mt X50! The tip is an automatic with a torque convertor. You have frictional loss and slippage by design. The only thing faster then a 6mt driven properly is the dual clutch PDK which does not have a torque convertor, and has more positive shifts.

From my perspective, the tip will require more transmission maintainence and cost. A 6mt in traffic doesnt bother me a bit.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:05 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
A 6mt in traffic doesnt bother me a bit.
Same here.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:05 PM
Daytonaman
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

List of HP vehichles that use torque coverters:
Indy Car
1000+hp fuel dragsters
996tt

Quick Reply: 996 Tiptronic buyer advice