Sponsored by:

996 Tiptronic buyer advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 07:40 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
Tip will be your best friend in DC's traffic. especially on 495,270,66,95, etc...
Especially with days like yesterday when the crzy dude shut down the Key bridge by wanting to jump, multiple accidents all over, brush fire, and everything was totally a mess. Took me 1.5 hours to go 28 miles, and I was moving.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:16 PM
Tytus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
Cant see how a X50 tip is the same as a 6mt X50! The tip is an automatic with a torque convertor. You have frictional loss and slippage by design. The only thing faster then a 6mt driven properly is the dual clutch PDK which does not have a torque convertor, and has more positive shifts.

From my perspective, the tip will require more transmission maintainence and cost. A 6mt in traffic doesnt bother me a bit.
Not sure what you mean by maintenance and cost...I change the oil and filter every 2 years or so and that's it...nothing else to maintain. BTW once the tranny is locked in a gear there is no slippage give or converter slop at all and the shifts up and down are quicker than most can do with a manual. When you let off the throttle there is a bit of coast unless you are downshifting, then there is engine resistance. It really is an amazing piece of engineering compared to most other transmissions of the period, Mercedes did a great job with this unit.

Tytus
Old 01-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Lost
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you guys. I am still waiting for the seller to get back to me on the car. Honestly I dont mind the tiptronic that much specially since it is hard to find a nice TT in my area around 40-43k. Maybe people are waiting for spring to get there cars out for sale..
I wanted some feedback because sometimes, no matter how much you read...things get overlooked
V
Old 01-14-2013, 02:46 PM
westsiderkg
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 89 Posts

Please...lol, not another tip/manual thread. My advice, owned manuals my whole life...took the advice of someone close to me and bought a tip, would never go back to a manual unless I was getting the car for tracking only. If you drive 99% on the street tip is the only way to go IMHO, but to each their own. Good luck.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:57 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Tytus, the convertor does not lockup immediatley, the shifts are slower than a person who can drive a 6 speed properly. The convertor does not lock up until the ecu determines when it should. I guarantee you spend more on trans fluid along with filter change than what a 6mt requires. The only trans mission faster then a manual is the dual clutch PDK. There have been many posted track times and straight line times and when a tip is compared to a properly driven 6mt it always produces slower times.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:59 PM
Dans996tt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I asked my Stealer last week about doing a tranny service on my TIP and he said it is due at 90k and no there is no reason to do it earlier as they are bulletproof. I have 36k and will probably do it at about 50k anyway.

Dan
Old 01-14-2013, 10:47 PM
Twinturbofan
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

On my third tip (of 7 911s so far). In my opinion they are bullet proof, require minimum maintenance, eliminate clutch replacements, are as fast on a track as a manual when driven by non pro drivers as the torque converter locks up almost immediately after shifting at full throttle. An added plus is that in the heat of battle you can allow auto up shifts simply by keeping your foot planted and concentrate on downshifts, braking and steering. No chance of over rev on downshifts either. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:18 PM
Tytus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
Tytus, the convertor does not lockup immediatley, the shifts are slower than a person who can drive a 6 speed properly. The convertor does not lock up until the ecu determines when it should. I guarantee you spend more on trans fluid along with filter change than what a 6mt requires. The only trans mission faster then a manual is the dual clutch PDK. There have been many posted track times and straight line times and when a tip is compared to a properly driven 6mt it always produces slower times.
You are correct that it doesn't lock up like popping the clutch but that is a benefit for traction as you really don't get abrupt wheel spin and the car does not get upset. I have no clutch to replace, no 2nd gear pop out to deal with so in the long run I am not sure how tip service can be more than MT. Straight line track times can only be bettered by a pro driver with a MT but anyone can launch a tip with ease and consistency. On a road course track the tip has proven itself much easier to drive with greater confidence as the operation of the vehicle is simplified.

If the attributes I described above are not appealing to anyone then a tip is not for them. Driving a MT on the track is definitely more exciting...sometimes that is a good thing and sometimes we don't need more excitement than we are already dealing with...it is a personal choice, depending on what you are looking for.

Tytus

Quick Reply: 996 Tiptronic buyer advice