Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 04:20 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 158 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Type 2 over revs

My car has type 2 over revs
which was picked up PPI at Porsche dealership service centre
4 months ago, they told me very common and not to be concerned.
should l be concerned do l need to take some preventive measures.
My car is a 2003 manual with 96000km(60000miles)
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Jim
Old 12-30-2012, 05:21 PM
Silberwolfen
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard of this, but not sure it matters. I have no idea---I have already hit the "rev limiter" twice with my car doing 3rd to 4th shifts out in the twisties. It simply cuts the fuel like any other car. I try not to make a habit of it, but it happens from time to time. However, I have no idea if this constitutes a "Type 2" rev. I know that you can damage the car if you shaft from say 5th to 2nd, but not sure who would do that. Anyway...will be interesting to see how the experts here respond. I am far from an expert.

---John
Old 12-30-2012, 06:13 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Silberwolfen
I have heard of this, but not sure it matters. I have no idea---I have already hit the "rev limiter" twice with my car doing 3rd to 4th shifts out in the twisties. It simply cuts the fuel like any other car. I try not to make a habit of it, but it happens from time to time. However, I have no idea if this constitutes a "Type 2" rev. I know that you can damage the car if you shaft from say 5th to 2nd, but not sure who would do that. Anyway...will be interesting to see how the experts here respond. I am far from an expert.

---John
Thanks John

Kevin on the "Tip over rev thread" said that type 2 is when
you accidentally miss a higher gear into a lower gear at
max revs.
Regards
Jim
Old 12-30-2012, 06:40 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

type 1 overrev is when you hit the rev limiter.
type 2 overrev are when you exceed the rev limiter such as 5 to 2 shift. if you have a car with a tune and raised rev limiter the type 1 will be very high.
theres also a calculation to determine how much time is spent in the overrev. the ecu records the total time the engine is run, the time of the last overrev and the total amount of type 1 and type 2 overrevs
Old 12-30-2012, 08:57 PM
turbo4 me
Instructor

How many type 1s and how many type 2s?
Old 12-30-2012, 09:09 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
type 1 overrev is when you hit the rev limiter.
type 2 overrev are when you exceed the rev limiter such as 5 to 2 shift. if you have a car with a tune and raised rev limiter the type 1 will be very high.
theres also a calculation to determine how much time is spent in the overrev. the ecu records the total time the engine is run, the time of the last overrev and the total amount of type 1 and type 2 overrevs
Thanks
l'll check when we get back from our vacation trip on the 8th Jan
Old 12-30-2012, 11:43 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your car is running strong I wouldn't be too concerned. My understanding is due to the high compression of these motors you would know if something was damaged almost immediately. My good friend is the service manager of a large Porsche dealer and he said the "996 TTs are the SCs of the water cooled era", meaning they are very reliable and tough.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:13 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Michael for for the vote of confidence.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:30 AM
Silberwolfen
Racer

That is good to know...I had no idea what those diagnostics meant.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:30 AM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mmporsche
If your car is running strong I wouldn't be too concerned. My understanding is due to the high compression of these motors you would know if something was damaged almost immediately.
oem compression is 9.4 to1 . not high at all, considering some engines for the gt3 have been raised to 13 to 1
n/a motors need high compression to build power turbo engines need low compression and let the turbos do the work
Old 12-31-2012, 11:00 AM
turbo4 me
Instructor

James,

If you do a search, you will find that this issue has been debated ad nauseum in the past. Most cars have a few type 2s; part of the debate is "what is the definition of a "few". The fact that even Tips have a "few" is controversial.

IMHO you take the type 1s and 2s together to get a feel for how a car has been driven (keep in mind that a car that has been flashed may have a ton of type 1s due to the raising of the rev limiter). When I bought my car it had 16 type 2s which is equivalent to 8 revolutions of the motor, really nothing at all. If you have thousands of type 2s, that might be an indicator of abuse. Alledgely Porsche has voided warranties based on excessive type 2s but I don't know the details.

So it is good information to know-
Old 12-31-2012, 04:00 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by turbo4 me
James,

If you do a search, you will find that this issue has been debated ad nauseum in the past. Most cars have a few type 2s; part of the debate is "what is the definition of a "few". The fact that even Tips have a "few" is controversial.

IMHO you take the type 1s and 2s together to get a feel for how a car has been driven (keep in mind that a car that has been flashed may have a ton of type 1s due to the raising of the rev limiter). When I bought my car it had 16 type 2s which is equivalent to 8 revolutions of the motor, really nothing at all. If you have thousands of type 2s, that might be an indicator of abuse. Alledgely Porsche has voided warranties based on excessive type 2s but I don't know the details.

So it is good information to know-
Thanks for the info.
My car has had it's over revs recorded in its last 2 hours
Prior to PPI which l put it down to all the test drives at the
dealership when the car was for sale, but prior to that it had
A clean bill of health.
The car runs extremely well and seems to be a very tight car,
so fingers crossed and hope no major issues.
Regards
Jim
Old 12-31-2012, 08:27 PM
turbo4 me
Instructor

If the overrevs were in the last 2 hours (and you just bought the car), that means that some cowboy was giving it a test drive and missed a shift or something. If it's only a few, hopefully that's it.

Quick Reply: Type 2 over revs