Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 03:13 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 911s
Great photos!

What snow tires are you using?

I can't imagine a better winter car/tire combination than my S4 with Hakka R. But, would love to drive the TT for comparison.
Personally, I was on Pilot Sport 2s! They actually did a lot better than I expected, better than Bridgestone SO3s on an Audi I had years ago. Absolutely un-driveable.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:21 PM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 911s
Great photos!

What snow tires are you using?

I can't imagine a better winter car/tire combination than my S4 with Hakka R. But, would love to drive the TT for comparison.
Personally I use the Dunlop Wintersport 3D's in a 225/45R18 Front and 285/35R18 Rear Configuration on my factory Turbo Twist wheels
Old 01-01-2013, 03:21 PM
TheKane
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 28 Posts

Great pics you guys!

1. Tires - I've been running studded tires for many years. In my opinion, nothing comes close to the traction, even the new studless. During this last trip to Tahoe and the big storm, there were SUVs with good snow tires spun out all over the place. I ran studded on my Suby (LIC Motorsports built me an STI beater with 340 torque and 350hp). On the 996TT I decided to run the Nokian Hakka' 7's. You can't get them from the TireRack, but they are epic, and the best studded tires I've ever used (on dry and ice/snow).

2. Suby WRX Sport Wagon 2007 (with $25K in mods) vs 996TT - I loved the Suby. However, I can comfortably say that the 996TT is hands down better in the snow. Even with the PSM off, the center diff figures things out beautifully. With the weight over the rear, it has tons of traction, and has the perfect amount of over-steer when you hit the gas. I was surprised at how well it did without a locking or limited slip rear diff.

3. Rack - The Thule ski pod fits even better than on my Suby (no tailgate wing to hit the box). The EOM rack is super beefy and solid, way more confidence inspiring than the Suby. The cross-bars are only 1.25 inches closer together than the cross-bars (spread as far apart as possible) than the Suby Wagon, so the platform is very stable for the Thule box. Fuel economy was shockingly not affected, maybe a mile or two per gallon less than without it.

I am so impressed with this car in the snow. I had no idea what to expect, but my expectations were high. The looks from people in good snow cars/SUV's (Range Rovers, Suby's, etc.) as I passed them, were priceless.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Nikon FM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently drove mine over "treated" icy roads to work (the handling was great). When I got home I noticed there was a horrific amount of what appeared to be bonded on anti-ice fluid to the rocker panels. The treatment looked like a combination of molasses and salt. Seeing this crap on the car I immediately went to a underbody and rocker panel car wash. The junk came off just fine but I hate to think about that stuff sitting on the underbody and finish for too long………….just saying be mindful of what's on the roads when driving in the winter!
Old 01-03-2013, 12:49 PM
TheKane
Rennlist Member

Good point. We don't have "treated" roads here in CA, but they do use salt. When I got back home, I immediately jacked up the car, took off the wheels, and washed inside the wheel arches and the undercarriage.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:20 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in the Chicagoland area they use so much salt it is hard to believe. I drove a 996 C4 with Blizzaks for a couple of winters and it remains the best winter car I have ever driven. I know about the galvanized steel body and all, but the first and only time I took my TT out in a snowstorm I cringed when I saw how salt-encrusted it became. It looked like I had driven it into the ocean. Now i reluctantly park it and drive an old LS400 all winter. Somebody please convince me the salt doesn't hurt anything!!!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:59 PM
NeunElfDrehzahl
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKane
Great pics you guys!

1. Tires - I've been running studded tires for many years. In my opinion, nothing comes close to the traction, even the new studless. During this last trip to Tahoe and the big storm, there were SUVs with good snow tires spun out all over the place. I ran studded on my Suby (LIC Motorsports built me an STI beater with 340 torque and 350hp). On the 996TT I decided to run the Nokian Hakka' 7's. You can't get them from the TireRack, but they are epic, and the best studded tires I've ever used (on dry and ice/snow).

2. Suby WRX Sport Wagon 2007 (with $25K in mods) vs 996TT - I loved the Suby. However, I can comfortably say that the 996TT is hands down better in the snow. Even with the PSM off, the center diff figures things out beautifully. With the weight over the rear, it has tons of traction, and has the perfect amount of over-steer when you hit the gas. I was surprised at how well it did without a locking or limited slip rear diff.

3. Rack - The Thule ski pod fits even better than on my Suby (no tailgate wing to hit the box). The EOM rack is super beefy and solid, way more confidence inspiring than the Suby. The cross-bars are only 1.25 inches closer together than the cross-bars (spread as far apart as possible) than the Suby Wagon, so the platform is very stable for the Thule box. Fuel economy was shockingly not affected, maybe a mile or two per gallon less than without it.

I am so impressed with this car in the snow. I had no idea what to expect, but my expectations were high. The looks from people in good snow cars/SUV's (Range Rovers, Suby's, etc.) as I passed them, were priceless.
Thanks for the tips- I bet they DID do a double take when they saw the TT barreling down on them with a Thule roof rack! I will consider getting a rack- would be handy. I think my Mountaineer roof rack is about as long as the car though! (just kidding).

As to the Chicagoland poster who last posted- I don't know what to say about the salt:bang head: because just north of the Illinois border- it isn't any better- but I did find a touchless carwash that will do a basic underbody wash for $4.00 so going to commit to going there twice weekly.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:16 AM
928drvr86.5
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

After just having my front clip off to repair a leaky radiator hose and do some clean up, i would strongly recommend not driving these cars in any kind of salt as there are alot of nooks and crannies in the front end alone that could become a salt locker. Judging by where I saw dirt and other debris collecting on the radiator/ AC condenser assemblies on my car, I would hate for those areas to become filled with road salt residue. No amount of no-touch underbody washing is gonna get that **** out.

In my opinion, the only car that should be driven in the winter road salt conditions we have in the Mid-West is a car you don't care about losing after ~10yrs. (My Dodge Caliber). Now Iowa is fond of using some sort of blue-colored salt slurry that I'm sure is able to penetrate our vehicles down to almost the molecular level.

As Neil Young says, "Rust Never Sleeps"
Old 01-04-2013, 10:28 AM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

How do studded tires hold up on a dry highway?
Old 01-04-2013, 12:00 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BioBanker
How do studded tires hold up on a dry highway?
Better than the highway does!
Old 01-04-2013, 01:18 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Name:  690281d1356451187-turbo-in-the-snow-merry-christmas-photo-3.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  494.7 KB
Had to save this one, amazing shot !!

Better than the highway does!
Hahaha
Old 01-04-2013, 11:51 PM
TheKane
Rennlist Member

The Nokian Hakka7's are the quietest studded tires I've ever run. With all studded, you can only hear them under 40mph on dry pavement. Above that, if you can hear anything, it's the larger tread. I've driven louder sounding track tires on my Spyder. No issue at all during my 2.5 hour drive to the snow.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:04 PM
Another P
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Studded are huge no-no in Minnesota as far I as I know, and in many places actually. They ARE wonderful, but ruin roads. I lived in the Seattle area and the road crowning from studded use is terrible, so they outlawed them there too.
I reluctantly decided not to drive my 996 TT in the winter because of the salt and additives. I'm sure it would be a blast to drive in true MN winter conditions were it not for that.
So I bought a used SUV that means nothing to me if the worst happens, etc.
Alas...
Old 01-07-2013, 03:21 AM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKane
Great pics you guys!

What size hakka 7's are you running? Their website says that the 18's only go to 255 wide
Old 01-07-2013, 06:17 PM
TheKane
Rennlist Member

Here is my winter setup....

Winter Tires:
Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 (studded) - NOT sold by TireRack
225/40-18 Diameter of 25.1"
255/35-18 Diameter of 25.0"

Winter Rims (from TireRack):
2 x 18X8 5-130 POR ET54 Sport Edition CUP4
2 x 18X10 5-130 POR ET40 Sport Edition CUP4

Quick Reply: Turbo in the snow - Merry Christmas!