Sponsored by:

Short Shift Options

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 04:37 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Short Shift Options

It's a slow week this week, I find myself thinking of P-cars more often than normal...and spending money!

I'm ready to order a short shift kit and there seems to be a lot of options:

1) 997 Shifter. Seems to be about a 15% throw change, but I'm sure it shifts better than mine at the moment...mine seems to be loose and long. Cost $215 at Suncoast.

2) B&M Shfiter. I'm not 100% sure if it's not the exact same as the 997 Shifter, but it appears they are not. Seems to be about a 20% throw change. Cost is $239 @ Bumperplugs.com

3) 997 GT3 Kit. Same as item 1 above but has aluminum bushings for longevity. Cost is $385 at Suncoast.

4) 997 SSK. The bad boy hot tamale version. Shift throws shortened 35%, not sure if the bushings are aluminum or plastic. Cost is $490 at Suncoast.

I've driven a 997TT with the SSK in it, and found it to be pretty tough to shift until it got warm, wonder if that's the case with all of the cars or just the particular one I was looking at.

So at the moment, I'm leaning towards going with item 1. I like OEM stuff usually, so that rules out the B&M (kinda), and I don't think I'd lose sleep over the aluminum bushings from a longevity standpoint.

Am I missing something? And no, I'm not going with Jeff's (JCB-Memphis) crazy sequential shifter thingy
Old 12-17-2012, 04:46 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

A lot of choices. I like the $385 version, for longevity reason as stated. I've read the B&M is too "notchy". I think mine has the 997 SSK, which is all I've ever driven, so it's fine for now. Did you try a search on shifter comparos?
Old 12-17-2012, 04:52 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2K3TTMIA
A lot of choices. I like the $385 version, for longevity reason as stated. I've read the B&M is too "notchy". I think mine has the 997 SSK, which is all I've ever driven, so it's fine for now. Did you try a search on shifter comparos?
Yeah, with not much success. I don't drive the car that terribly often or plan to keep it forever (I'll move up to a 997TT eventually), so the longevity is something I can compromise on. Feel is pretty damn important though.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:16 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

numeric shifter. use it once and everything else feels like garbage
Old 12-17-2012, 05:48 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
numeric shifter. use it once and everything else feels like garbage
That does look nice! Priced that way, I'm sure. 900 or so bux?
Old 12-17-2012, 06:11 PM
Th Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

$699 for the numeric... http://uspmotorsports.com/product_in...oducts_id=1607

But let's get down to brass tacks here...
How much do you want for the smoking monkey?
Old 12-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

B&M with the EVOMS shift link ---> rifle bolt feel with short throws. Here's that setup in action with a stone cold transmission:

Link ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMWB...e_gdata_player
Old 12-17-2012, 08:06 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyScott
It's a slow week this week, I find myself thinking of P-cars more often than normal...and spending money!

I'm ready to order a short shift kit and there seems to be a lot of options:

Am I missing something? And no, I'm not going with Jeff's (JCB-Memphis) crazy sequential shifter thingy

You'd like it...if stock look is the way you want to go, I like the numeric.

I had it out for 4 hours in the moist/dry stuff Saturday and it was superb on corners that had been a bit much. Not, not a race situation and these cars are (awd, torque) forgiving, but it was fun!

Note, the shift **** maker is taking it back for a resize as 52mm is a little too big for me...47mm (the size in the 917's) is perfect. See the CAE thread for that if you want a ****...he can probably do one for any of the above options in this thread...fyi. Shown is the 47mm.

Jeff
Attached Images  

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 12-18-2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:19 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

997.2 GT3 shifter, DONE.

Had mine installed about a month ago- feels fantastic, like the car should have from the factory.

I eneded up not installing the EVO link, and it still feels great. Didn't like way the EVO link clamps onto the shifter cables via allen screws- seemed like a potential future failure to me.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:20 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

I know I should keep my mouth shut, but that thing posted above (Jeff's) looks entirely ridiculous especially in a Porsche. I have the B&M (OEM), had it installed correctly. Never notched, very precise....love it. To each his own. ToolsPANTS (RENNTECH) did a thorough comparison and evaluation of the SSK and the EVO link....his conclusion was the EVO link wasn't worth it....period....the key components are still plastic.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:39 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
ToolsPANTS (RENNTECH) did a thorough comparison and evaluation of the SSK and the EVO link....his conclusion was the EVO link wasn't worth it....period....the key components are still plastic.
While I agree with everything else you said, I don't agree on the shift link. The bottom ball-end on the shifter (OEM, B&M, 997) fits into a soft rubber socket. The result of Porsche using this soft rubber is the shifter has a soft gate stop at the end of the travel into each gear; the shifter can move around as the ball-end compresses the soft rubber. This produces a spongy/sloppy feel where the shifter never hits a rock hard stop at the end of the gear gate. The EVOMS shift link has a hard urethane plastic socket that snaps over the ball-end (it's actually very hard to get the ball-end into the socket because of the tight fit). This hard plastic has zero give. The result is there is absolutely no play in the shifter when it hits the end of the gate, just a rock solid/rifle bolt-like stop in the movement of the shifter when you reach the end of the gate.

The B&M without the shift link would not be nearly as good a shifter.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:46 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Numeric with cup cables for stock look or 997.2 gt3 part....my thoughts.

Or go nuts. I saved all my stuff if I want to go "back"... for now, nah. Car is for me and I am having fun. But I do respect everyone's opinions.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:30 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the 997 GT3 shifter. Love it! Exactly what I think shifting should be in a 911.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:42 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

Scott, I think that you will be right at home with the 997GT3 shifter.. Smooth, positive shifts. The throws are shorter than stock (996TT), and shorter than the 997 std, but not as short as the 997SSK.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:09 AM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin
Scott, I think that you will be right at home with the 997GT3 shifter.. Smooth, positive shifts. The throws are shorter than stock (996TT), and shorter than the 997 std, but not as short as the 997SSK.
THAT is precisely what I wanted to know. I thought the SSK was a little balky, I'm glad to hear the GT3 isn't the same.

Originally Posted by Th Dude
$699 for the numeric... http://uspmotorsports.com/product_in...oducts_id=1607

But let's get down to brass tacks here...
How much do you want for the smoking monkey?
I don't even smoke, but the monkey always cracks me up

Quick Reply: Short Shift Options