Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stop the presses! 10K miles between an oil change!...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 10:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Stop the presses! 10K miles between an oil change!...

Oh yes you read it right.

I've been so busy but today I took a day off of work. The 1st half of the day I spent with my dear old (93) dad at his doctor getting dear old dad checked out. Dear old dad is ok, thank goodness. Still thinks I ought to get rid of the Porsches and buy a proper car: Crown Vic. Sigh.

The 2nd half of the day I swung by the local dealer to see about getting the Turbo oil/filter serviced. SM told me he was booked solid, but pulled up the service records and lo and behold the last time I had the car in was 7/18/2012 for an oil/filter service with 90.2K miles.

Well, the odometer now reads 100.9K miles and I about had a heart attack when I realizes I have driven the car 10K miles since its last oil/filter service which is double the number of miles I usually let the oil stay in service.

SM managed to get the car in. A service slot opened up when parts for another car didn't show up.

Ok the oil/filter got changed. Tech said the engine sounded good and he didn't see any reason to worry. All the techs said these engines will go 10K miles on the oil no problem.

Yeah, right what do they know?

Seriously, though I prefer to stick to my 5K miles oil/filter service schedule.

Had the engine filled with Mobil 1 0w-40 oil.

I was running Mobil 1 5w-50 (not a typo for 15w-50!) and tech said that's not unusual to switch between the two from summer to winter and back again in spring.

Oh, a bit of bad news...

RMS leak!

Yes, the tech spotted an obvious oil leak that had oil wetness showing at the engine/tranny bell housing joint. The leak was not bad. I've never seen any oil on the ground under the car.

The tech said we can keep an eye on the leak. Tranny out to repair it though, so that's gonna hurt...

Front tires are nearly worn out but with nearly 50K miles on them...I'll get them replaced in Dec.

Brake pads/rotors are getting thin but still have plenty of life left.

After the service, the tech drove the Turbo to my home following behind me in my Boxster -- I had it in at the same time for some minor stuff (headlight bulb replacement) -- and reported the Turob engine sounded good, felt great and the car overall felt real solid.

100K plus miles on my 03 Turbo, 90K of those since I bought it used in June 09.

What a car!

But I have to get back on that 5K mile oil/filter service schedule! Can't take any chances.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:09 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

100k here also. rms leak too! lol ( not )
Old 11-21-2012, 06:27 PM
okiedude
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope that means my new (to me) 03 has 70K in her before hitting 100K-LOL!
Old 11-22-2012, 01:44 AM
NeunElfDrehzahl
Intermediate

Macster- so you drive approx 100 miles/day 25 days a month?!? That's some hardcore commuting!
Old 11-22-2012, 04:48 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by NeunElfDrehzahl
Macster- so you drive approx 100 miles/day 25 days a month?!? That's some hardcore commuting!
60 miles round trip work commute per day, 5 or 6 or sometimes 7 days a week.

120+ miles per day every time I drive down to visit my sister who has been hospitalized since last January. Early on when it was touch and go I was often down there sometimes every day staying at a nearby hotel to meet with her doctors during the day and later after the crisis was over more often going down after work in the evening or even at night after work visiting her and helping take care of insurance, job leave, bills, and such that she was unable to deal with from a hospital bed and being often too sick to even hold a smart phone let alone use one.

Now that she's doing better I see her just once a week though I'll go down Thursday and spend some time with her having a bite of hospital cafeteria T-Giving dinner then see her again the usual time Sunday afternoon. After I leave her Thursday I'll drive home, well, to my parents place to have a bit of T-Giving dinner with them.

Then several times a year an extended road trip of anywhere from nearly 2K miles to 4K or even 5K miles covering on average over 500 miles per day.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:23 AM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 48 Posts

363,000+ miles here on my 2003 Turbo X50, oiled changed religiously every 5000 miles................these cars love to be driven.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:24 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by T2
363,000+ miles here on my 2003 Turbo X50, oiled changed religiously every 5000 miles................these cars love to be driven.
Amen to that.

261K miles on my Boxster. Tech drove it Tuesday (and drove my Turbo too) and reported the Boxster felt just fine (as did the Turbo).

The Boxster clutch pedal return was a bit weaker than normal but not scary weak.

The tech attributed this to wear that has the pressure plate springs at a slight mechanical disadvantage. He did not advise I replace the clutch at this time. I might note here the clutch is the original clutch too.

Oh, on the way back to the dealer we talked about this a bit and he said he and his co-workers almost always send the flywheel out to be resurfaced as long as the dual mass feature is working ok.

Anyhow, the clutch just lasts and lasts while I note the rear trunk lid struts are worn out though.

Tech told me the worst car he's ever encountered was a low miles early Boxster that upon inspection during a service - the car was in the air -- had him spotting oil/fluid leaks from all over. He brought these to the attention of the owner who refused to do anything about them. After the service the tech took the car for a test drive and afterwards when he parked the car he looked back and it was smoking from the vapors arising from the fluid leaks.

I'm driving the Turbo and the Boxster as long as I can afford to keep them on the road.

Then I'll shop around and find a 6 year old low miles car with a CPO and pick it up for less than half its sticker price and drive it until it falls apart.

All you garage queen owners... save those miles for me! I thank you.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,463 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Originally Posted by T2
Hello T2, amazing milage on your TT.

Have you had the coolant pipes that are known to fail replaced and wielded?
Old 11-23-2012, 12:32 PM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 48 Posts

Carlo,

I've not touched them and have had no failures, plenty of front radiators, a couple of water pumps and one front hose but no coolant pipes or welding of such in my experience.

T2
Old 11-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by T2
Carlo,

I've not touched them and have had no failures, plenty of front radiators, a couple of water pumps and one front hose but no coolant pipes or welding of such in my experience.

T2
Just curious: Why plenty of radiators? What happens to them? Do you keep the radiator ducts clean?
Old 11-25-2012, 12:22 AM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by T2
You're my hero. I'm at 86,000km or about 51,000 miles. Had the oil changed last week. Change it every 10,000km. Tech said the engine sounded like a new one and not a speck in the filter. Going to drive her until I have to shoot her which may not be in my lifetime.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:00 PM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by T2
And I thought I am motoring with my 155K kms. (96K miles)

Amazing! You are well on your way back from the moon! 477,800 miles is your target! Keep rocking!
Old 11-29-2012, 10:48 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love that Porsche Drivers buy their cars to actually drive them I have put 40K on mine since I have had the stage 2a on it. Can't stay out of it

Quick Reply: Stop the presses! 10K miles between an oil change!...