Lowering

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 09:39 PM
Fastboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Lowering

Hi guys
I know this has been covered to some extent but after doing a search on this forum on "lowering" I don't think my question was fully answered.
My mechanic, who is a very experienced Porsche guy & who has modified many 996TT's has suggested that lowering the car using H&R springs is one of the better ways of improving handling - especially at the track. However, I read a few old posts on this forum stating they didnt like the H&R springs and advised against them--one guy said it made handling worse. Yet my mechanic, who has modded many of these cars, said nobody has ever said that to him.
I want the safest, most reliable way to lower the car but I dont want it to cost a fortune. Are the H&R springs the way to go, or is there another superior alternative that doesnt cost vastly more? I read something about an x73 kit, but I understand its not made an longer so that may not be an option here in ontario.
Any input on this?
BTW--I only track once a summer (didnt even go this year!), mostly the car is just a daily driver. Lowering appeals to me for its looks and I still want the car to be safe on public roads.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:47 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

You have been fed alot of mis-information. You lose the travel when you put lowering springs on this platform. Yes, lowering springs are great for many other cars, but not on the turbo. Especially for a car that sees the track. Depending on how many events the car see invest in the Bilstein PSS10's, KW, JRZ's or Motons.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:50 AM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with Kevin. I tried lowering using springs only (RUF) and the ride was way too choppy on the street. After 10 molnths switched to PSS 10's. Ride is much improved and handling even better.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:28 PM
BOBBYFALI
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How are the H&R coilovers?

Suspension is going to be my next mods, so I am very interested as well.

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba
Old 11-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I installed H&R coilovers on my 4S a few months back. I found a new set for half what the bilsteins cost.
(1400.00) They are way better than stock both on street and track. I was able to lower the car quite a bit from stock leaving 20mm of rake after corner balance. There are no dampening adjustments like the bilsteins however. If you track your car consider camber plates up front. I ended up with -2.8 camber front with 0 toe with tarret camber plates & -2.3 rear with 2mm toe in with stock mounts. The car turns much quicker now with no understeer.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:15 PM
Nikon FM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastboy
Hi guys
I know this has been covered to some extent but after doing a search on this forum on "lowering" I don't think my question was fully answered.
My mechanic, who is a very experienced Porsche guy & who has modified many 996TT's has suggested that lowering the car using H&R springs is one of the better ways of improving handling - especially at the track. However, I read a few old posts on this forum stating they didnt like the H&R springs and advised against them--one guy said it made handling worse. Yet my mechanic, who has modded many of these cars, said nobody has ever said that to him.
I want the safest, most reliable way to lower the car but I dont want it to cost a fortune. Are the H&R springs the way to go, or is there another superior alternative that doesnt cost vastly more? I read something about an x73 kit, but I understand its not made an longer so that may not be an option here in ontario.
Any input on this?
BTW--I only track once a summer (didnt even go this year!), mostly the car is just a daily driver. Lowering appeals to me for its looks and I still want the car to be safe on public roads.

I bought my car with H&R lowering springs on it…………drove okay on the street but on the track it was dangerous due to all the discontinuities at Pacific Raceways. I installed PSS10 coilovers and the car simply handles better both off and on the track. You should most likely find a mechanic with a greater knowledge/performance driving base….imho
Old 11-07-2012, 08:37 PM
motts
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

Had H&R with stock suspension I think they sucked big time bone shattering on the street, switched to pss10's with a gt2 setup world of diference.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:20 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

H&R Coil-overs suit me fine....but there are many options.
This particular car is track & street.
Just keep in mind....messing w/a Turbo's suspension (and doing it well) requires talent and $.
Springs are cheep.
For what it's worth, on this car that has the H&R C-Os.....also have H&R front & rear ajustable anti-sways, TRG adjustable DLs, RSS front & rear LCAs, and RSS rear toe steer kit.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:34 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

I think that we need to seperate or keep in mind the difference between lowering springs and shock/coil over packages that allow the car to be lowered. H&R makes a good shock/coil over package> Bilstein manufactures the shock for them. The reverse is true for Bilstein packages> H&R manufactures the springs for them. For the street/track ratio of up to 80/20 I recommend the PSS10's..
Old 11-08-2012, 02:59 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 for Kevin.

I have coilovers, control arms, sways, links, control arms, ......the whole shebang. Put it at European stock GT2 settings....these can be found by the serious porsche shops..... Great on the track but also can get in and out of most gas stations. Don't underestimate real world issues....

And, don't forget to get a corner balance when done. Consider this a mandatory step for safety. My opinion.

With the above, the car was rock solid at full tilt at VIR. I'm no 930man, but the car was solid enough to handle me up to that level....probably nearly gt3 levels of suspension. Mikelly has written a lot about how to modify suspension. He took the PSS9 units beyond what most could and he was amazing around the track in his turbo....he is on here somewhere. His DIY thread may be here or elsewhere.

I do find getting under a car with all of these parts and torquing everything every now and then (say once a month) is a nice thing to think about....probably overkill, but I have found things a tiny bit loose from time to time. Nothing dangerous. Paint pens help you see things move. People never talk about how to keep a complex unit with these sorts of changes safe. This is my method.

Anyway, my 2c.

Jeff
Old 11-08-2012, 03:12 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 287 Posts

X73 is the Porsche engineered sport suspension for 6turbo. Its NLA, but used sets pop up every once in a while.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:03 PM
Fastboy
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys--I will enquire about the PSS10's (per Kevin) and or locating an x73 kit if available.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:59 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

..and to add a contrary view on the topic. while the ride can be harsh at times ( even spine crushing as compared to a stock ride ) on city streets it quickly translates to a very stable and flat ride in fast canyons/sweepers etc and at speed ( as fast as i'll ever admit to traveling ) and that was achieved only through the use of proper ( x73/gt2 alignment, corner balanced etc ) mo30 shocks/sways/tires/wheel and h&r sport springs combo..that all left me with an approx 2 in drop, and very confident handling
yes..cheap! i feel coilovers would be an unecessary spend relative to return, for the kind of driving i regularly do. if i ever got to the track. yes, fullly adjustable coilovers would undoubtedly be an improvement. i think it depends on your driving style and goals for the car. just my .02.

caveat: springs can/DO sag.. over time. but what doesn't ha.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:31 PM
Fastboy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
..and to add a contrary view on the topic. while the ride can be harsh at times ( even spine crushing as compared to a stock ride ) on city streets it quickly translates to a very stable and flat ride in fast canyons/sweepers etc and at speed ( as fast as i'll ever admit to traveling ) and that was achieved only through the use of proper ( x73/gt2 alignment, corner balanced etc ) mo30 shocks/sways/tires/wheel and h&r sport springs combo..that all left me with an approx 2 in drop, and very confident handling
yes..cheap! i feel coilovers would be an unecessary spend relative to return, for the kind of driving i regularly do. if i ever got to the track. yes, fullly adjustable coilovers would undoubtedly be an improvement. i think it depends on your driving style and goals for the car. just my .02.

caveat: springs can/DO sag.. over time. but what doesn't ha.
Yes--I emailed my mechanic with reference to this discussion, and he did note that proper alignment is essential, and springs alone are OK for a guy like me who largely streets the car and only rarely tracks it. He agreed that serious track = more sophisticated setups as some of the discussions above.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:47 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastboy
Yes--I emailed my mechanic with reference to this discussion, and he did note that proper alignment is essential, and springs alone are OK for a guy like me who largely streets the car and only rarely tracks it. He agreed that serious track = more sophisticated setups as some of the discussions above.
sounds right. i've never been able to exceed the limits of my car's modest setup. i will say it's gonna take a minute to adjust to the stiffer ride if you're coming from stock. but you'll get used to it esp if your driving conditions are mixed. another point is, if you don't like what springs do for the car you're only out a few hundred bucks. i went with the h&r "sport" springs. i think it's their "middle" level, avoid "race". throw a gt3 sway on the rear,.. and you'll love it. gl with it.

Quick Reply: Lowering