Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 60K sucks 1.7k

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 09:31 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I worked at a dealer while in high school and they would charge to check valve adjustment which they had hydrolics lol and also checking exhaust and host of other things that took seconds or were not done at all.Im sure there are a ton of great dealer and indy shops out there and believe me I will hear about them, but every time I take my car to get worked on it comes back dirty and or scratched and usually making noises it did not make previously etc.I have also seen them beat my bmw and supra leaving the work stalls and yes I complained and never went back.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by adam_
This may be true, but that is entirely NOT the point..
Did you notice that I was replying to what Macster posted?
Old 10-29-2012, 03:35 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

No one at all thinks the rates should reflexct the actual price of the car. The analogy comparing the rates to a 140K car to a car that has depreciated is not in sync. Of course we all know the rates remain constant. But in retrospect an Indy that has a good reputation will have lower rates. So my only point is the rates are the rates and going to a dealership you will pay the same as someone who has a 2012. There are other alternatives. Just myopic thinking to say well the dealer wants the $105 hr rate so everyone should have that rate also!
Old 10-29-2012, 04:38 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
No one at all thinks the rates should reflexct the actual price of the car. The analogy comparing the rates to a 140K car to a car that has depreciated is not in sync. Of course we all know the rates remain constant. But in retrospect an Indy that has a good reputation will have lower rates. So my only point is the rates are the rates and going to a dealership you will pay the same as someone who has a 2012. There are other alternatives. Just myopic thinking to say well the dealer wants the $105 hr rate so everyone should have that rate also!
The few times I've used an indy with a good rep his rates were nearly as high as the dealer's, he refused to let me bring in my own oil and instead insisted on using 15w-50 oil (because that's what he filled the air-cooled engines with and he didn't I guess want to bother stocking anything else for the water cooled engines) and then wanted to charge me a premium for the oil telling me he needed the markup on the oil (and other fluids/etc) to cover his overhead.

While I might have saved a few bucks, no. Hell no.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Souns like the indy you speak of is not worth doing business with, he is only hurting himself. I have a great INDY, i even brought to him a new clutch slave cylinder and an accumultor, which i got dsicounted on line. He charges less then the dealer and uses actual time vs book time. He is well known in the racing circuit, and has a nicer shop then the local dealer.
Sorry you have not found a indy as the one I have!.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:20 PM
uschoice
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=TRWright;9953788] One time I dropped my 355 off for a 30k service and ended up with a $25,000 bill for what the dealer called 'some minor items.' ./QUOTE]

What the hell?! I hope they called before doing the work. Legally, they can't proceed to that extent without authorization.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:15 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TRWright
If you owned a 355, you shouldn't be complaining about maintenance on your 996 turbo.

Like you, I have also owned both. One time I dropped my 355 off for a 30k service and ended up with a $25,000 bill for what the dealer called 'some minor items.' I am not saying that can't happen with the 996tt, but it is generally a reliable car that isn't terribly expensive to repair considering what it is.
lol, I hope you misplaced a decimal point there!

What did they do for $25k! That's about what the car is worth.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

you guys are seemingly not familiar with 355s.

Set of cats, maybe headers, etc, and you get to $25k easy.

that said, 355s are not worth $25k unless its a high mileage car with a salvage title. Not sure if you were being serious.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:23 PM
Frissen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche dealers are a PITA as they are overcrowded fixing cayenne maladies, not leaving room for oír beloved and real Porsches

Quick Reply: The 60K sucks 1.7k