Sponsored by:

The 60K sucks 1.7k

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 03:35 AM
turbosjedi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The 60K sucks 1.7k

I realize that the Porsche Tax is alive and well in the world, but seriously, $1700.00 plus 189$ for brake fluid flush and fill is just tad over the top for a 60K service interval. It is not my fault that Porsche designed a motor that has to be dropped to replace the spark plugs. Reminds me of a 30K service on a 355 Ferrari a few years ago…but that is a different story.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:15 AM
jonmartin
Track Day

Um you don't need to drop the motor to replace the plugs? There are a few DIY write ups on this.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:13 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I got a quote from an indy for plug change 4 hrs labor, plus $20 per hole, plus replace all the coils, was a little under
$1000. The engine does not have to be dropped to replace the plugs. Rear bumper comes off, the intercoolers come off, and the heat sheilding comes off.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:20 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

find a new mechanic...LOL
Old 10-27-2012, 01:43 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I do all my own maintenance and with the prices I see people pay on here glad I do lol.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by turbosjedi
I realize that the Porsche Tax is alive and well in the world, but seriously, $1700.00 plus 189$ for brake fluid flush and fill is just tad over the top for a 60K service interval. It is not my fault that Porsche designed a motor that has to be dropped to replace the spark plugs. Reminds me of a 30K service on a 355 Ferrari a few years ago…but that is a different story.
My local dealer charged me $450/labor (3 hours) and $61.74 for 6 plugs last plug change my Turbo had.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:08 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

dealers in SoCal routinely get $2k for a major service. it really does suck. my indie was about a grand for my 90k service but i'm always doing this that and the other, at the same time. once you have the checklist of what is actually "done" vs what is checked/tightened/inspected. the mystique really does disappear, along with any notion that the typical charges might be "fair".
Old 10-28-2012, 02:24 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I hoped you knew this going in before you authorized the work. I learned a long time ago to ask how much first. No disappointments after the fact make it much easier.

So $1900 for a 60K mile service on a $140K car, not unreasonable.

I don't make that kind of money in the time it takes me to do it and I rather enjoy it as well. I'll be happy to do it myself, take my time, improve a few things along the way, and get to know my car a bit better.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:47 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

nick49 - That analogy is fine when the car was worth $140K, Now they are a heck of a lot less!
Old 10-28-2012, 12:10 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
nick49 - That analogy is fine when the car was worth $140K, Now they are a heck of a lot less!
The fact the car has depreciated doesn't mean servicing costs drop.

My dealer doesn't discount its hourly rate for my older cars vs. what it charges for brand new cars.

The same goes for parts prices and the cost of other items that are part of a service.

But to cut servicing costs I pare from the official list of things that are done at a specific service what things I have done when I take my cars in. One time I'll have the oil/filter service done and along with this the transmission fluid changed. The next time the oil/filter and the brake fluid flushed/bled. The next time the oil/filter service and new plugs or whatever is due based on time or miles or if something needs taking care of llike last time I had the Boxster in for its oil/filter service the tech replaced the plastic cowl cover piece that had finally cracked and the time before that a window regulator was shot.

The Turbo goes in next week for its oil/filter service (at 100K miles!) and I think I'll replace the worn (> 40K miles) front tires) at the same time.

And sometimes, most of the time, the car just gets an oil/filter service.

Oh, and every time I have the car in I ask the tech to blow the trash out of the radiator ducts unless he finds the stuff too bad and advises the bumper cover needs to be removed for a proper cleaning.

The service manager knows I will grant an ok to have this done should the tech believe it necessary.

But only once per car has the bumper cover had to come off. Sincde then just a blast of air from the tech's modified air gun nozzle does the trick.

Also, every time I ask -- though I don't need to -- for the techs to give the car a good inspection and advise me if anything is found.

The invoice then will have the tech's comments about tire tread depth, brake pad/rotor condition or in one case a note about a camshaft cover oil leak.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:21 PM
theporscheguy
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I completed the plug and coil change myself and enjoyed getting to know the car. Some dealers are certainly more expensive than others, but if you price the work up front you won't have any surprises later.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:36 PM
911-AL
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 76 Posts

It's an easy procedure with hand tools and a little patience. I would say 4 hours max. I'd rather pay myself $500/hr vs. a stealership.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:57 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
The fact the car has depreciated doesn't mean servicing costs drop.
You are exactly right; parts and service reflect the fact that the Turbo was a +120k car when new. I've stated here previously what factors I believe have affected the selling prices of 996 Turbos, but regardless what all of the reasons may really be, it seems some owners don't understand that just because they might have picked up a Turbo for $30-$40k doesn't mean all of a sudden everything about the car reflects what can be expected to be paid for a car that cost that amount new.

As for basic services on the Turbo (plugs/coils/oil/filters) and garage modifications (replacing the exhaust/replacing the shifter), I do all this myself.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:43 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If you owned a 355, you shouldn't be complaining about maintenance on your 996 turbo.

Like you, I have also owned both. One time I dropped my 355 off for a 30k service and ended up with a $25,000 bill for what the dealer called 'some minor items.' I am not saying that can't happen with the 996tt, but it is generally a reliable car that isn't terribly expensive to repair considering what it is.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:01 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
You are exactly right; parts and service reflect the fact that the Turbo was a +120k car when new. I've stated here previously what factors I believe have affected the selling prices of 996 Turbos, but regardless what all of the reasons may really be, it seems some owners don't understand that just because they might have picked up a Turbo for $30-$40k doesn't mean all of a sudden everything about the car reflects what can be expected to be paid for a car that cost that amount new.

As for basic services on the Turbo (plugs/coils/oil/filters) and garage modifications (replacing the exhaust/replacing the shifter), I do all this myself.
This may be true, but that is entirely NOT the point..

The point is the OP is being told you need to drop the motor to change plugs- an out and out lie. Or them make up BS '60k service' prices, knowing that it is padded with many hours for things like 'inspections' that they never do, or do in minutes.

The point is that dealers and indys will size up an owner and decide what they can get away with... or in LaLa land, they dont care and just bend everyone over and know there will be plenty of takers.

nick49- if that 60k service is only a oil change, why does the MSRP justify $1900???? Indeed, the only factors are time, parts price and dealer hourly rate...not MSRP...IMO

Quick Reply: The 60K sucks 1.7k