Sponsored by:

Umbrella Auto Design Nose Lift Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 10:56 PM
Andover Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Umbrella Auto Design Nose Lift Kit

Anyone familiar with this front end lift kit? It sounds like Cargraphic/bilstein kit may not be available and in any event takes ~15 secs to lift the nose. This one supposedly does it in a couple of secs. Appears they have made kit for GTRs, NSXs, etc. Good local shop has been in contact with them and they are now offering a kit for Porsche as well. As much as I love being a guinea pig, would really appreciate any experiences out there.

http://www.umbrellaautodesign.com/co...vrh_suspension
Old 10-11-2012, 02:17 AM
Andover Bill
Rennlist Member

Well, since no one stepped in with an opinion (might be the first time I've seen that on this site!), I signed up to be the guinea pig. Sounds like a couple weeks to get the system, then in it goes with the PSS10s. Soon I'll be nose hopping up and down the street. Anyone know where I can find those green neon undercarriage lights?
Old 10-11-2012, 07:24 PM
uschoice
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Andover Bill
Well, since no one stepped in with an opinion (might be the first time I've seen that on this site!), I signed up to be the guinea pig. Sounds like a couple weeks to get the system, then in it goes with the PSS10s. Soon I'll be nose hopping up and down the street. Anyone know where I can find those green neon undercarriage lights?
What details did you get concerning installation, price etc.? The web site doesn't have much.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:34 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Bill, that looks great. I could have used this on a few of my cars (Ones with the TA front bumpers)
Old 10-12-2012, 03:16 AM
Andover Bill
Rennlist Member

US: Parts cost approx $3k. Exact install location still to be sorted out, as I think this is the first time this device will be installed on a Porsche. Will be in the front boot somewhere, hopefully under the floor where the spare sits. Don't have exact cost of install yet, either, which should scare me, but the shop that will do the install has a good reputation. It will be lower than normal since I'm installing PSS10s at the same time.

Tim: I hear you. This is a 996TT with the TA front, skirts, rear, wing. so already low front bumper, and PSS10s will make it even lower. I decided to go ahead with this product mostly 'cause I was afraid I'd cringe every time I entered a parking lot!
Old 10-12-2012, 04:24 PM
uschoice
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Andover Bill
US: Parts cost approx $3k. Exact install location still to be sorted out, as I think this is the first time this device will be installed on a Porsche. Will be in the front boot somewhere, hopefully under the floor where the spare sits. Don't have exact cost of install yet, either, which should scare me, but the shop that will do the install has a good reputation. It will be lower than normal since I'm installing PSS10s at the same time.
Thanks for the information. Keep us posted on how it works out.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:07 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't know about that particular companies products but my 64 Notch is on air ride shocks and it works beautifully. I do not have the tank for spare air but a small compressor that is used on demand via a switch. I can tell you more details if you'd like. PM me.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:08 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,487 Likes on 4,129 Posts

Bill, any update on the Porsche nose-lift kit. I'm getting ready to install some B16 Damptronics in my 997 and would obviously like to do the nose-lift kit while I have everything apart. Was looking at Cargraphic, but it's not supported well over here and is still pretty expensive. Let us know how yours worked out.

Pete
Old 02-21-2013, 09:11 PM
The NSX dude
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

I bought some carbon fibre parts for my NSX from Ravi@Umbrella, I was beyond impressed by the quality of the work.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:51 PM
Andover Bill
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
Bill, any update on the Porsche nose-lift kit. I'm getting ready to install some B16 Damptronics in my 997 and would obviously like to do the nose-lift kit while I have everything apart. Was looking at Cargraphic, but it's not supported well over here and is still pretty expensive. Let us know how yours worked out.

Pete
Still sorting out the details. Summary: Works instantly (1-2 secs to full extension). Compressor unit strapped in, with quick disconnects, so will be easy to pull for DE days. Original air can too short for Porsche suspension configuration (I may be the first Porsche), so I didn't get as much nose lift as promised. I'm told (by Rothsport, who did the install) he's working on new can which will be swapped when ready. Other issue is the configuration of the compressor unit. Not optimized for 996. We took out spare from front boot, and it SHOULD fit perfectly in there so we can maintain the stock load floor. But the unit wasn't built for the Porsche. Maybe same as previously used in Acuras? He's redesigning the unit, but it's taken a while (when did I post this originally?) to get the new unit built. I guess that's what happens where you're the guinea pig!

Once done it should be great. I'm hoping that will be soon.... Will post photos and video once complete.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:02 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I remember the Techart and 997GT3 OEM Porsche option($3400), but not this one.

http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=211

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-handling.html
Old 02-27-2013, 11:32 AM
Andover Bill
Rennlist Member

Update: got a call yesterday. New parts coming in later this week so if all goes well should be all dialed in next week. Stay tuned.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:41 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,487 Likes on 4,129 Posts

I've talked to Ravi at Umbrella a couple times last week on this kit. He tells me the new compressor and air-tank configuration occupies a 10"x8"x8" area and the compressor head needs some clearance around it since it can get hot. My problem, with a 997 that didn't have spare tire area, is where I would put something of that size and still preserve some utility to the car for luggage storage, etc. With some other kits, like Cargraphic, there is not an air storage tank, just the compressor and that could mount next to a smaller sized battery like an Optima. But it's the storage tank that allows the Umbrella system to work in the 1-2 seconds, vs like 20 for the compressor only systems. I believe with the Umbrella system that I would have to somehow split the compressor and storage tank in order to try and place them behind the plastic shrouding in the front trunk (battery location, PCM/CD changer/NAV system (as I don't have the changer or Nav) which I think is probably doable, so that I could still fit my normal 22" rollaboard suitcase and other items in the front for travel.

Bill, please update us once you've installed the new kit pieces as to the amount and speed of the lift and overall impressions. To me, this system looks like the best one and the price is decent - $10,000 for a TechArt hydraulic system is big-money, and I don't want hydraulic fluid blown around the inside of my trunk in the event of a component failure. Experiences with the Cargraphic system at around $5,500 have not been all that positive so I'm glad Ravi has put together what looks like a very nice and reasonably priced system.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:04 PM
Vital Signs
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any update?
Old 04-06-2013, 12:52 AM
Andover Bill
Rennlist Member

Hi all

System installed. Works very well, and very fast (1-2 secs to full extension). I've been traveling but will try to get some video or at least some photos posted. Shop misplaced my trunk floor, so I can't yet confirm the revised configuration fits under, but it looks like it should. Will confirm once shop finds the piece. Stay tuned.

Quick Reply: Umbrella Auto Design Nose Lift Kit