Sponsored by:

detuned from a flash to standard today

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 01:58 PM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default detuned from a flash to standard today

OMG I think is the expression, I now know what the 420bhp baseline feels like, and I don't like it. Wow from a mild 1bar flash back to factory is not good.

Download for Kevin now complete, new UMW flash will be going in soon. Hopefully not too long, I cannot believe what a differnece it has made going backwards.

For those of you thinking I have gone mad, when I bought the car, it had an unknown tune, and for Swiss roadworthyness inspections, car has to be standard. Kevin has given me a standard tune to put on for inspection day, and I will have a well respected UMW stage 1 for normal days.

Ye ha
Old 09-30-2012, 09:27 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

I just talked my boss into a UMW stage 1 for his '04 Turbo Cab. I can't imagine going back to stock now.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:21 PM
jonmartin
Track Day

I have to do the same not quite looking forward to do it so I'm trying to schedule for it all to be done the same day but with a new tune.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:42 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by biglicks
OMG I think is the expression, I now know what the 420bhp baseline feels like, and I don't like it. Wow from a mild 1bar flash back to factory is not good.

Download for Kevin now complete, new UMW flash will be going in soon. Hopefully not too long, I cannot believe what a differnece it has made going backwards.

For those of you thinking I have gone mad, when I bought the car, it had an unknown tune, and for Swiss roadworthyness inspections, car has to be standard. Kevin has given me a standard tune to put on for inspection day, and I will have a well respected UMW stage 1 for normal days.

Ye ha
Yep. I'm spoiled now. I went back to my stock tune (using Kevin's data logger) just to be safe for my emission inspection. Boring! I was glad to reload the flash.

Boost is addictive.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:07 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Why are you guys detuning? I always pass inspection in EU with no problems and that is with tune, exhaust and K&N filter? Whats diferent in switzerland? Why don't you pass?
Old 10-05-2012, 05:35 AM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

Our problem is tuning has become outlawed here. Any non standard parts must come with TUV certificates and an MFK cert (MFK is the equivelant to an MOT). We regularly get police control stops to inspect cars for tuning and they know what they are looking at.

Chip tuning used to be allowed up to 20% of standard performance gain, but no longer. I just need to make sure they don't have any way of detecting a tune during the MFK (here they do take the car for a test drive).

My other problem as stated, was not knowing who had done the previous tune and if it was reliable. UMW has a fine reputation, and able to provide a stock and tune set up, easily interchangeable, it was a no brainer really.

SSST you are so right on the standard tune, what a difference, I was shocked at how much slower the car feels. Previously I had a 964T tuned to just over 400bhp and I swear it would have left the detuned 6TT behind.

Steve
Old 10-05-2012, 11:30 AM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

great news, UMW tune arrived, I am off home to play. I would say keep the outside lane of the autobahn clear, but I have been told not to go mad until the tune has been fine tuned :-(

I will let you fellas know how I get on.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:52 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by biglicks
great news, UMW tune arrived, I am off home to play. I would say keep the outside lane of the autobahn clear, but I have been told not to go mad until the tune has been fine tuned :-(

I will let you fellas know how I get on.
One thing. The tune will let you know if your plugs and coils are getting old. I was getting misfires in 4th above 5200 after installing the tune.

Kevin suggested new plugs and coils, or he could back off the timing. I went with plugs and coils and the problem went away.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:16 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With so many experts decrying only 400/450 hp, Formula 1 teams don't need to look any farther than the Porsche 996 Turbo forum
Old 10-05-2012, 05:54 PM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

thanks for the plugs/coil pack heads up. I have been assured they were changed in a major service just before I bought it (info from Porsche main dealer) Still I have some retardation going on at full throttle, but as yet we are not sure if it was the old tune or something else.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:33 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

I just can't believe MOT people would a) have the know-how to check for moderate tune and b) go into such details. I really don't think MOT guy knows the difference between 420/500bhp unless he owns 996t. I would not detune. If it passes the smog test they can F$%k off!
Old 10-06-2012, 09:35 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SSST
One thing. The tune will let you know if your plugs and coils are getting old. I was getting misfires in 4th above 5200 after installing the tune.

Kevin suggested new plugs and coils, or he could back off the timing. I went with plugs and coils and the problem went away.
Damn right.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:10 PM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SimonK
I just can't believe MOT people would a) have the know-how to check for moderate tune and b) go into such details. I really don't think MOT guy knows the difference between 420/500bhp unless he owns 996t. I would not detune. If it passes the smog test they can F$%k off!
Old 10-06-2012, 02:14 PM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

latest update, new tune installed, now back to banshee like performance, boy did I miss the 1bar range.

Early indications, damn quick, as it was before. What is really different is the low down driveability, before boost really kicks in, it engages and drives more easily at low traffic/town speeds.

Clutch is still not great, not UMW issue, I need to take the assist spring off.

So, without having the benefit of the fine tune Kevin is about to do, and his run download feedback, early indications are; anyone doing this mod, will be over the moon.

More to follow........
Old 10-06-2012, 03:30 PM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Glad you are back on proper boost.

Quick Reply: detuned from a flash to standard today