Thinking of trading the 996TT for a 997 CarreraS

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 11:35 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by darth g-f
Well I don't drive that fast around other cars.

I do happen to hit 100mph when passing.
So you don't drive that fast around other cars........but drive that fast when passing cars.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:51 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I know exactly what you're talking about. I think you'll have just as fun in a N/A 997. A lot of it is pushing a vehicle relative to what it is capable of.

I roadraced 750 and 1100 Superbikes for 8 years, brutally fast machines and in protective gear on a clean road surface you can push pretty hard without reservations.

I pushed my '99 996 Cab quite hard at times in the canyons, and even stated that I didn't think it could get any better at the time. I was right! My Turbo is faster and when traffic is non existent I can do a canyon run for several miles either up on boost or hard on the brakes. Actually it's no better than the N/A car, just a bit faster. I also drove my wife's Boxster recently and it's a hoot as well. If I dumped the Turbo, an old Boxster could fill the bill. I rode a couple of my motorcycles a couple of days ago and pushed them a bit, every bit as fun as the Turbo too! Maybe it's just me, but I can have a good time pushing any sport oriented vehicle. On the road it becomes an exercise in finesse, trying to push the vehicle as far as the suspension and tires will allow without upsetting the chassis.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:51 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My advise would be to sign up for a HPDE. I used to drive crazy fast all the time. Once got a 104 in 75 and a 99 in 55 in the same day on a mountain run. But oddly enough those were the only tickets I got in my sports cars. Still I drove like a madman sometimes, even some street races.

Since I've started track events, I have zero desire to speed on the highway. Once you get to open it up with a clear mind on the track, driving only partially that fast and worrying the whole time on the highway or side street just isn't worth it. Problem solved.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:06 AM
darth g-f
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I raced F2000 cars and am a BMWCCA instructor. That's probably part of the problem. My comfort level is high, but in a car as capable as the TT it is quite an interesting combo...

Well I appreciate all the comments. Though some people I don't know how you do it. If you have a 500hp and manage to never go over the posted limit, than you're not only gods in self control but also in right foot management. Because, at least in my car, the slightest touch of the throttle over 3k rpm rockets the car forward.

I remember long ago when I was on the Miata.net forum people arguing how much more fun it is to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. I think I now realize what they meant.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:13 AM
darth g-f
Instructor

Originally Posted by nick49
I know exactly what you're talking about. I think you'll have just as fun in a N/A 997. A lot of it is pushing a vehicle relative to what it is capable of.
Makes sense. A lot of sense really. I worked/pushed hard for speed with my other cars. You know, pushing the limit to get every once of speed out of every turns, shifting to redline to keep the engine in the "zone" etc. But this one, doesn't need pushing... at all.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:03 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Though some people I don't know how you do it. If you have a 500hp and manage to never go over the posted limit...
I never said that I don't exceed the posted speed limit. But I rarely reach 100 mph and I can't remember the last time I saw 120 mph as I've probably gone that fast in the Turbo only a handful of times over the last +10 years. And I have over 500 hp.

I get all the satisfaction I need out of my Turbo's power by making WOT pulls in 1st or 2nd gears; I enjoy the high longitudinal g and not the hyper illegal high speeds. My goal is to avoid going to prison.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:51 PM
pnamueller
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I totally understand your point. I used to own a Acura Integra TypeR a bunch of years back. It was fun to push that car to the redline in 2nd 3rd and 4th and still only be going 80-90. You would have to work that car to get it into the 100-110 range. In the turbo its too easy to get into ludicrous speed. I think a boxster or even a regular 997 carrera may suit your needs. they are quick but would need a little more work to get the insane velocities of the tt
Old 10-01-2012, 01:55 PM
pnamueller
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dock
I never said that I don't exceed the posted speed limit. But I rarely reach 100 mph and I can't remember the last time I saw 120 mph as I've probably gone that fast in the Turbo only a handful of times over the last +10 years. And I have over 500 hp.

I get all the satisfaction I need out of my Turbo's power by making WOT pulls in 1st or 2nd gears; I enjoy the high longitudinal g and not the hyper illegal high speeds. My goal is to avoid going to prison.
Unlike Dock, I have no self control. I wouldnt be able to drive my car with the pull of 1st and 2nd gears only. The pull in 3rd and 4th has my internal child giggling on the outside. I just try to be safe and do it on a track or a deserted stretch of road with no one else to harm but me.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:11 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'm amazed that people think that it takes work to get a 997S to 100 mph (or faster). A 2005 997S will go from 60-100 mph in ~5.7 sec, while a 2010 997 Turbo (the only 500 hp Turbo information I have) will go from 60-100 mph in ~4.4 sec. That's only a 1.3 sec difference. If someone thinks that kind of difference is going to make it harder to hyper exceed the legal speed limit I'd like for them to explain why.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:54 PM
darth g-f
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dock
I'm amazed that people think that it takes work to get a 997S to 100 mph (or faster). A 2005 997S will go from 60-100 mph in ~5.7 sec, while a 2010 997 Turbo (the only 500 hp Turbo information I have) will go from 60-100 mph in ~4.4 sec. That's only a 1.3 sec difference. If someone thinks that kind of difference is going to make it harder to hyper exceed the legal speed limit I'd like for them to explain why.
I think it has to do with boost. At wot, a N/A car makes 100% of its available torque for the rpm you're at. On a turbo car, you can make boost at part throttle, meaning you're making more than 100% open throttle for a N/A car. I often see .8 to .9bar at part throttle. This is why part throttle is so fast in a turbo car. You don't need to have the throttle buried to make power.

To illustrate what I mean, I would need hard data. But if you were to test a 997S at 25% throttle vs a 996TT at 25% I think the gap in acceleration would be a lot wider than 1.3sec.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by pnamueller
Unlike Dock, I have no self control. I wouldnt be able to drive my car with the pull of 1st and 2nd gears only. The pull in 3rd and 4th has my internal child giggling on the outside. I just try to be safe and do it on a track or a deserted stretch of road with no one else to harm but me.
The Turbo's continued pulling in the higher gears and at higher speeds is very impressive. The thing just doesn't quit. I love it! Addictive!

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:27 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Over the past 5 years, I've been traffic-stopped once in Rufus (illegal window tint), but twice in my little Scion xA (both for speeding). The Scion struggles to get to 90mph, but I've never exceeded 187 mph in Rufus. Actually, I've never even come close to 187. I have no radar detectors. Just dumb luck.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:12 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I enjoy what I call going fast in a slow car I have had few like 1989 gli chiped exhaust etc,1969 opel gt big valve head,headrers weber carb etc and a 5cyl audi gt and many more.I must admit I like just having the extra power but never redline any of my cars and rarely go over speed limit,I guess Im getting old lol.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:47 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I raced F2000 cars and am a BMWCCA instructor. That's probably part of the problem. My comfort level is high, but in a car as capable as the TT it is quite an interesting combo...

Well I appreciate all the comments. Though some people I don't know how you do it. If you have a 500hp and manage to never go over the posted limit, than you're not only gods in self control but also in right foot management. Because, at least in my car, the slightest touch of the throttle over 3k rpm rockets the car forward.

I remember long ago when I was on the Miata.net forum people arguing how much more fun it is to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. I think I now realize what they meant.
I do not own a 996 TT, but just to speak to your point I have owned a Porsche, M3, and Currently own a 600 HP Shelby Mustang as well as many other cars. I owned a Miata and to this day on the street it is one of the funnest cars I have ever owned.

Not saying to buy a Miata, just saying as much as I love my Shelby I just can not utilize it on the street with out putting lives in jeapordy.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:05 AM
fstede1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't believe we are having this conversation!! Go buy a damm Camery!!!

Quick Reply: Thinking of trading the 996TT for a 997 CarreraS